Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our parrotlet, Thorin, was sick a month ago. The vet prescribed some antibiotics and, after a week of that, he started to look much better. I'm pleased to say he now seems back to full health. but the treatment left us with one 'sticky' problem...

The medicine was really viscous and in the process of giving him a drop twice a day, some of course spilt around his beak. This has coagulated and made several of the feathers (perhaps 4 in total) around his beak very stiff. One has turned black, probably due to a combination of medicine and niger seed.

This is obviously annoying Thorin - he keeps trying to rub the side of his beak against things and he is taking a lot more baths than usual (this morning he just dunked his whole head - normally he would *hate* to do that). We have tried to help by gently teasing the feathers out with our fingers and rubbing them to loosen them up, but it's not helping.

So: if rubbing and water aren't doing it, do you have any other suggestions? I don't know if there are some pet-friendly cleaning products we could try, or could we even clip / remove the offending feathers?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Tumi had this same problem after medicine. Honestly, there isn't a solution other than time and bird power. Human power can help a tiny bit, but you are likely to just pull the feathers out. Bird power might pull the feathers out, but at least it will be his choice, which is important. In the end, he WILL molt them away. It just might take a couple months. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
I am not sure on this one but would try feeding citrus products to see if that helps with breaking down the medicine.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Apple Cider vinegar might do the trick if rubbed gently around the area, then wipe off with plain water. See what happens. Best to you.

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
I'm sorry for the little guy that is annoying! I second the ACV and the citrus. I. Assuming Ozzie you meant by eating some items fruit the Feathers may get the juice on them and help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys! That's useful advice. He's unfortunately very unreceptive to most fruit but will chase him with some orange for a while to see if he takes a bit. Sometimes I think he eats things in sheer irritation if we are persistent enough!

With the apple cider vinegar, do you just dab it on with a cotton bud? Ironically, he does try to eat those!

All the best and I'll report back if we have any luck. Otherwise it will have to be the waiting game.

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Melody goes absolutely insane if I try to eat something and don't give her a bite. She will even grab it if it's something she dosent like, all I have to do is pretend I'm eating it and then hold it out as she lunges. I even pretend to eat her treat if she wont step up and then suddenly she changes her mind when I start "eating" her millet. lol

Maybe put him near you or on your shoulder and start relishing an orange wedge. Or tangerine those are quite juicy. It might work. Hehe

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
I'm sorry for the little guy that is annoying! I second the ACV and the citrus. I. Assuming Ozzie you meant by eating some items fruit the Feathers may get the juice on them and help?
Yes I was thinking about trying to get them to eat an orange, grape fruit or other citrus type food. It tends to be a natural cleaning item.

As for the ACV, maybe a little in a water bowl may help?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Aren't most citrus fruit full of sugars though?:confused:

I know you can use lemon for cleaning when squeezed into your cleaning water, but just 'as is' I'd think there would be too much sugar in it, and the juice might just become sticky once it dries, too? Lemon contains 7 grams of sugar per 100 gram of lemon (without the skin)! Strawberries are 6 grams of sugar per 100 gram of strawberries. So lemon actually contains more sugar than strawberries do!! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Aren't most citrus fruit full of sugars though?:confused:

I know you can use lemon for cleaning when squeezed into your cleaning water, but just 'as is' I'd think there would be too much sugar in it, and the juice might just become sticky once it dries, too? Lemon contains 7 grams of sugar per 100 gram of lemon (without the skin)! Strawberries are 6 grams of sugar per 100 gram of strawberries. So lemon actually contains more sugar than strawberries do!! :eek:
Orange is considered a safe food for parrots. I doubt you could get them nor would you want them to eat a lot of orange but a bit to help break up the stickiness might help and be safe. True oranges have a stickiness to them but it is a mild natural stickiness that readily breaks down with water as opposed to the unnatural stickiness of the medicine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts