Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male Parrotlet named Rico who recently lost his mate. It was really sad and unfortunate. I just got a new female that is the same age for him to bond with. They are both green. I had them in cages beside each other and they were sitting on the side of the cage closest to each other. So I let her fly out and she went right to his cage. He did not attack her or anything. I eventually put her in a cage with him that was unfamiliar to them both so that they would not get territorial. She will cuddle and preen him but he will not do the same to her. He was not letting her eat the millet I had in the cage and they began squabbling so I took it out and the fighting stopped immediately. But they are not sitting on the same perch and I'm not sure what to think. Are they bonding or are they just tolerating each other in the cage? Should I take her out or leave them in together? He has not outright attacked her but will peck at her feet a bit (it sometimes seems a bit rough) if he does not want her to do something or go on a certain perch. But then he will sometimes stand on the perch with her and let her preen him. If any of you have any advice on how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not living together. I put them in the new cage for a few hours everyday while I watch them constantly. I do not leave them unsupervised because I do not want to end up with an injured bird. They sleep in separate cages that are beside eachother at night. I just don't know if they are becoming bonded. When Rico had his other mate he would never leave her side. They never fought and he would always feed her and take care of her. I'm not used to my birds squabbling which is why I get so nervous with these two. I have always gotten birds who are already paired. I've never paired them myself before.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry i can't be of any help i have never paired birds either.. I am sure you will find your answer on here. good luck.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Mine (Noel and Zack) will be nice to each other for a short time, then they start fighting, so I put them back in their own cage. Parrotlets are hard to trust with each other, but what you are doing is fine, maybe someday he will except her, but for now doesn't seem that is going to happen. So sorry he lost his mate, he may never fall in love again.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I only have one bird but like the others, I would take it slow and not let them be together too long at a time. With him biting at her feet he may decide to bite it off then you will have a handicapped bird to deal with. I have never seen it happen but have heard stories.....Good luck whatever you decide..........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I had Rico out of his cage with Chico inside of hers. He flew right to the top of her cage and started trying to feed her through the bars. Is this a good sign?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just matched up my lonly female with a mail I got from WA. they made a quick connection with each other. It was like love at first sight. I doubt all matches are that easy and quick. I think I just got luck of the draw. Both cuddle and prune eachother and eat togeather. ther is only that minimal bickering that most cuples get.

during the day when you let them betogeather with supervision just make sure that the male is letting your female eat and same for the other way around. I would allow some bickering as long as no one is getting hurt or to agressive. They need to figure out how to live to geather if they decied that they want to be togeather.

When we got the male on the first night we put him and the female in a devided flight cage with one perch food and watter on both sides but close to the devider so they had to eat togeather. That first time seeing each other they where preening and cuddling so the next day we took the devider out with one food and watter dish and they started cuddling and preening like they where ment to be but some one seprated them. They are both two years of age. I would say once you see them both cuddling and preening eachother then they have started bonding. Also a good way to go is to keep then in a room to them selves with minamal contact with you when they are in there seprate cages.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Sounds like they're starting to bond, but it's hard to say. Give them more time and keep doing what you're doing. They may like each other now, but they may not later either. Unfortunately, parrotlets are known to be aggressive, so I would take your time introducing them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I have noticed that my female is very interested in him and will preen him and cuddle him but he has never preened her back. She turns her head and waits for him to but he ignores her and turns his head for her to preen him some more. But he has fed her quite a few times and they are always giving kisses. Not sure what to think about the preening situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
boding pairs

i have 2 breedig pairs mine squabble sometimes but get over it quick enough.
if there not fighting i mena drawing blood pulling feathers out i would try too keep them in the same cage if you keep removing them from each other they will have a hard time bonding too each other if you already have had them togother and nothing has happened then i would keep them together with the millet f they fight over i stand then put in 2 on oppsite sides of the cage .

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am sure that parrotlets, like a lot of birds, bond very strongly. I know that if some parrotlets are taken away from, say, a mate, or a human companion, they can be VERY hard to get to bond. Also if you have a bird very bonded to you that bird may really hard to get bonded with another bird. Patience may prevail, and it may not. all you can do is try.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with the others that you seem to be doing all the right things. Give them time. Your boy is probably still missing his original mate. He will likely eventually grow closer to his new mate. Keep up the good work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts