Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everybody.

I haven't stopped by in a while. Our little Beemer has been with us for about 6 weeks. He's doing very well. He won't step up and is afraid of our hands, but he comes out of his cage on his own and hops onto our shoulders if we walk close to the cage. He is eating a wider range of things as I get him ready to transition from seed to pellets, and has many little games he plays with us. He loves it when I whistle to him, and likes to climb around on my lap while I knit and chew on my knitting needles.

Last week we lost power for about 6 hours due to an ice storm. I stayed home as long as I could, but when I had to leave the house to go to work I was scared to leave Beemer alone without heat. So I drove him to a friend's house where there was heat.

We're due to get walloped by another big storm tonight, snow with ice mixed in. I'm worried about losing power. The temperatures could get down to the single digits outside.

I was thinking of keeping the bird's night time room closed up tomorrow. If the heat stays on we'll bring him downstairs as usual to play with us, but if the heat goes off the upstairs room might stay a little warmer. But I'm also worried that he'll feel isolated up there. He does have a cozy little fleece tent, so that will keep some body heat in. He also likes to ride around on the back of our shirt collars, and sometimes leans in and snuggles against the back of our necks. So that will be some warmth for him.

Other ideas?

And thank you!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
When peewee was sick in November we also lost power. I happened to have a lantern I lit and kept her in a small room. You could also wrap his cage in a blanket on three sides during the day. If you will be home just keep him snuggled with you.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
During Sandy I lost electricity and heat for 10 days. I wrapped Baby's cage in 3 down blankets to keep the heat in and she had her fleece to sleep in. She stayed wrapped the whole 10 days except when I got home and put the gas fireplace on for an hour or two and I would bring her downstairs with me. I had no where to take her and it was so cold I slept with a coat on. She did fine wrapped up in her cage. I felt bad because she was covered literally for 10 days except for an hour at night. She was fine with it. It was not ideal but we made it through. If your lucky and have someone who will take Beemer it's better.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing here, I am going to fill up a water bottle because Huey only drinks our water and I want to be sure I have some here for him.

We have a generator and we can run our gas fireplace so I am not worried about heat.

Be safe everyone! We are slated to get anywhere from 6 to 20 inches of snow and then maybe ice.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Ouch! Sounds i he you are getting hit hard too Lin! We're lucking out this time it's missing Michigan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everybody.

We can always heat water on the stove, and I have a hot water bottle. So I could put that outside the cage where Beemer can't reach it, but where the heat will radiate a little. He's still too skittish to snuggle much, but he does like the back of the collar spot and will snuggle there, where he feels safe that our hands can't get to him.

I hope we don't lose power! Here in Southeast PA we don't often lose it, but so many people here lost it last week that I'm nervous about that this time.

Good luck to everybody in the path of the storm.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Cold in Georgia

We've (North Georgia) had the worst winter snow season in years. First time was 2-3" now 4 over several days.

This morning all the trees are covered in snow, very pretty but not good to drive. Thank heaven didn't lose power. We have a generator up here, it's a must have in the mountains. I don't worry about my birds---as long as we have enough propane the fireplace will work.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Well NJ is not great either. It is snowing like crazy and I can't get out of my front door. Stay safe everyone,.

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
We are being told that we will get 4 more inches of ice and snow Friday. Just when I thought I would see my road again. I hope it is not gone.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
So far in NJ where I am we have 10 " measured on my deck.... we did go into work and when I got home I measured that.... but it has been raining/sleeting for a few hours so I am sure we had more before the rain/sleet... now tonight we get the back end of the storm another 8+ is forecasted....lucky us....time to bake

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Just one word of caution... depending on your stove, it may not turn on. I have a gas stove and I thought I was okay until I found out that the ignitor is electric, so it wouldn't spark to turn on the gas. Same with the oven, I needed electricity for that. My neighbor is lucky and her grill outside had a separate stove top and she cooked on that when we were out of electricity (of course when that happened it wasn't in the middle of winter either).

With that said, I have a generator on hand in case of that happening.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Just one word of caution... depending on your stove, it may not turn on. I have a gas stove and I thought I was okay until I found out that the ignitor is electric, so it wouldn't spark to turn on the gas. Same with the oven, I needed electricity for that. My neighbor is lucky and her grill outside had a separate stove top and she cooked on that when we were out of electricity (of course when that happened it wasn't in the middle of winter either).

With that said, I have a generator on hand in case of that happening.
We have one of those clicker/striker things that we use to light our stove when we have no power, we also have a generator but it does not run the whole house so we pick and choose what that runs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts