Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I've been thinking about since a breeder in my state has babies that I believe were just pulled for hand-feeding. If I can find somebody to give me a ride over after they are weaned I am thinking about getting a little Dilute (American Yellow) male. As long of course as both of my babies are fully settled in by then as we would have to take them because I would Not feel comfortable leaving them at home.

Is three in a couple months too many? How many Parrotlets do the members have? Is three too many? Is this INSANE?

Thank you everybody!

·
Registered
57 Posts
lol someone refers to this a MBS. Multiple Bird Syndrome. I would think that however many you can provide proper love and attention for is how many you should have. I personally have two pair that are not tame, they are breeders, and all I wanted was ONE baby to love and spoil.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Heehee, I had 3, but 2 are bonded to each other and their training has gone down quite a bit. I'm looking for another since Jinx is gone... waiting for the babies to grow up from a breeder so that I can meet them:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And have your baby pick you out? I want to do that with the next little guy. The breeder is excellent and as local as I can possibly get so if I meet her and her babies, then let the boy that wants to come home with us do so, I feel that could be the start of another excellent relationship.

·
Registered
612 Posts
We have a pair, that bonded to each other and my family. They are breeder / pets. I think the male will remain a pet, not sure about mom though. 2 is not to many IMO, or three if you have room. We have various other birds and they get all the attention they can handle, except for my amazon. He tries to hog me all to himself. We have 2 plets and five other members of the flock, and 4 baby plets ATM.
There cages are clean, they are healthy and on a good diet. They all get along and talk to one another. Babies are all used to hands and do not bite ATM. I think they all go through a phase. 3 just are not pets and may never be. But we talk to them all.
IMO if you can have happy kids in clean surroundings, well fed. You don't have to many.
You know you better than us, so the main advise I can give is don't get enough that it becomes work,,, [Sorry kinda lengthy]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a pair, that bonded to each other and my family. They are breeder / pets. I think the male will remain a pet, not sure about mom though. 2 is not to many IMO, or three if you have room. We have various other birds and they get all the attention they can handle, except for my amazon. He tries to hog me all to himself. We have 2 plets and five other members of the flock, and 4 baby plets ATM.
There cages are clean, they are healthy and on a good diet. They all get along and talk to one another. Babies are all used to hands and do not bite ATM. I think they all go through a phase. 3 just are not pets and may never be. But we talk to them all.
IMO if you can have happy kids in clean surroundings, well fed. You don't have to many.
You know you better than us, so the main advise I can give is don't get enough that it becomes work,,, [Sorry kinda lengthy]
I like that about having the time to keep everything clean. With Parrotlets it is so much easier than any other bird I've ever had and since I prefer a clean house this is where I should draw the line at more after I get another or two. Thank you so very much for the reminder.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
And have your baby pick you out? I want to do that with the next little guy. The breeder is excellent and as local as I can possibly get so if I meet her and her babies, then let the boy that wants to come home with us do so, I feel that could be the start of another excellent relationship.
Yes, I would love to have the bird pick me out! That's what happened with Jinx and she was an adult already! I never wanted a green bird, but she said she wanted to go home with me:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She was like, "You! I pick you as my mew mummy!" *Laughs* How I adore that! It will be fun to have that experience again. It's been six years since the last time and I love my sweethearts but it would be nice to try a baby choosing me next.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Oh yes! My poco was so easy to keep clean. I only had to clean his cage once every other week because of how much time he spent out with me. But this Keet I currently have, OMG she poops sooooooooo much! I clean her cage on Tuesdays and Saturdays every week! >_< It's just one little bird! How does she have that much poop!!!! o_O

But anyways as to the question, like the others have stated, as long as you can spend enough time with each one then you're good. It's only too many once you can't handle the time, and clean up.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
The amount you get is up to you. Think to yourself, do I have the money to provide , vet care if needed, can I provide food, can I provide love and attention, is it too much for me to clean that many cages. Are my family and other pets going to suffer with me having this many birds ? What you can handle go for it! :)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Jinx, so glad you are thinking about adding another P'let to your home. :)

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Jinx, so glad you are thinking about adding another P'let to your home. :)
It's just my luck. When I can add another bird, I can't get one right away. When I can't add one, they're all over the place! I have to keep reminding myself, not to push, when the right one comes, I will know... well, I hope I know!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have my one and only Barnaby. I have two dogs and two cats but one dog and one cat is my husband's. So I equally split up my time with my dog, cat, and bird every day. Also, I got each of them one at a time. I rescued my cat as a kitten from a horrible living situation. When she was 3 I got my savannah monitor lizard (unfortunately he died at 9-10 years old from a cancerous tumor). When he was 4 years old I got my husky as a puppy from a hobby breeder (someone who had a girl and boy husky and they just happen to have puppies). And then when my husky was 5 I got my parrotlet Barnaby! :D I space out getting pets because I like having a good amount of time to bond and train with them (one on one) without worrying about my other pets needing that initial bonding time as well. You might want to hold off on getting another so you can give the first two time to be well trained instead of trying to juggle all of them and spreading yourself thin. Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
At the moment I only have one bird, - 1 p'let. In the past I've had up to 12 fostered birds. It was hectic but really depends on your lifestyle. I worked and my animals were the remainder of my time. With a family now, that's changed but I would say as long as you have time for them all, can afford to meet all their needs, and can cover vet bills if one or several should get ill. Then more power to you.

I read somewhere that (maybe on one of Sandee's feedback email or FAQ?) But with parrotlets as companions only, she didn't recommend having more then one baby per year? Or to not introduce another baby within the first year unless you bought 2 together at the same time. I can't quote where I read it from, but it made sense because she was saying that if behavioral issues appear, it's easier to deal with one bird and get established vs several. Also to build a bond with that bird first and then look into building a bond with a new bird. Once the first bird is established.

I think it also depends on your experience, your patience, and how much you are willing to put into your birds. Some people think they can just sit in the cage and be ignored. - I wouldn't say you strike me as one of those people. But, it does happen and a lot of people get in way over their heads with out really thinking about it before it's to late.

Either way, it's not here nor there, but I love birds, I would have several if I had the time, but I know I don't have the time to donate to more then 2, right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.