Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year, I purchased a proven pair of parrotlets. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed them "working" the nest box. On July 19th, I noticed them mating. Since then, I've quickly looked into the box when the female comes out (which is very rarely), but haven't noticed any eggs. Does anyone know what that time frame is? I can't seem to find that information anywhere!!
Thanks!
Heather

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Heather - I can't recall where I read this but I believe it is approximately 10 days after a successful mating before the first egg appears and she will lay one egg each day after that. You will notice the female eating a lot of cuttlebone for several weeks prior to laying and she will consume a Huge amount right before laying.

- Make sure she is in top breeding condition to avoid her becoming egg-bound.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Heather,
My pair recently had babies for the first time. Once Mya stayed in the nest, it was only 3 days before she laid and egg, but she was coming out to eat, poo and mate. My pair had 5 eggs, 4 fertile, and they continued to mate daily while the eggs were being laid.
Pado is right, she will eat tons of cuttlebone right before laying. Mya ate a whole 6 inch one the day before the first egg... i was shocked..:eek:
Make sure you give them lots of fresh food while nesting..
Good luck and keep us posted!
~Angel~

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I noticed yesterday she really HAD eaten a lot of cuttlebone...and today I peeked in the box while she was out..and there was an egg! YAY!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Wow Heather - Congratulations -

There is another P'let misconception: That you need multiple pairs within ear reach of each other in order to breed - I think thats three different members now who have had a single pair breed. I'm guessing the hand raised Parrotlets or at least the ones use to humans being around are comfortable enough to breed without hearing other P'lets -

Angel - I may have missed some posts how are yours doing? - did you keep any?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Pado,
I kept the male, he is the one in my avatar. He is a doll, wolf whistling, gives kisses, steps-up... I think he may talk!
So now I have three, so far..hehe

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Oh Wow he looks great ! - it must be all the good food you raised him on :)
I love his name - Aris :D

I just looked through your webshots - all the babies were in great feather ;)

How do Ari and his parents get along? - Do they interact or ignore each other?

·
Registered
66 Posts
YES, they eat anything and everything I give them. They have special dishes for the fresh food, and eat it first! I have been lucky that way.
Aris doesn't get time out with Plato and Mya.. last time I tried, it was Aris that would go after Plato. It saddens me to think that they are related, but don't get along.... But at least Mya and Plato have each other! I guess just having the one female makes them competitors ...

·
Registered
794 Posts
wow

I currently have a pair of parrotlets, that I have had for a few months...I always believed the "in ear's reach, of another pair or they wont breed" rule, so I didnt expect them to breed, but the last few days, I have noticed them "working" in their cage. and they have been playing around in the nest box. No eggs yet, and thanks to the only place on the web that answered my question about how long till there might be an egg! This site rocks!! I am a parrotlet fan/bird fan! I have a blue parrotlet, and a cockatiel! I am expecting a new cockatiel soon, and Im getting a TRUE ALBINO PARROTLET from a friend...its her second one ever (she is a breeder). And shes giving it to me, and keeping the older one to breed...im so excited!!!!! (so Im pretty much introducing myself here)...all you people seem so nice! But anyways, I should be expecting an egg sometime soon.... I'll keep you guys updated!
But, is there any chance that they arent "successfully" breeding?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Nick - there are quite a few people here who have had successful breeding with a single pair. My guess on this (just a guess) is the rule of a Pair needing to hear another pair in order to breed are for untamed birds that are nervous or skittish in human care and need to hear other Parrotlets to be comfortable enough to breed.

A pair of hand raised birds that are completely comfortable and relaxed with humans about are relaxed enough to breed without the sound of other Parrotlets.

and I'm sticking with that :p well until I hear a better explanation :D

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Keep up posted on their progress - cause if they do raise a clutch - There goes my theory out the window :D :D :D
or maybe its enough for them to hear Oscar the blue P'let :confused:

·
Registered
794 Posts
nope

nope, the pair is kept on the patio, so they feel as close to their natural environment as possible....oscar stays inside, which is on the other side of the house than the patio...
so I hate to break it to ya....lol
:D:):)
you might not be wrong, because this just might be a "special" pair. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My pair on eggs are not tame at all. In fact, the female wants nothing more than to bite me, and the male is very nervous when I am around the cage. I do have another single female parrotlet in the house, in another room, that they can probably hear. But they didn't begin breeding until I brought home my Quaker, who is much louder.
So, I don't think you need another PAIR of parrotlets..just the right conditions for that pair you already have.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Humm - the common denominator so far with the untamed pairs breeding is a 3rd Parrotlet (or other birds) in the house. Birds have great hearing I'm sure they can hear the other P'lets or birds in the house even in different parts of the house. Just a thought ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts