Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my research on getting my first parrotlet. I'm just wondering if I have to be away for a long weekend once in a while, would it be ok for me to leave my parrotlet at home by itself (provided with sufficient food and water)? What's the maximum lengh you've gone for leaving the bird on its own?

·
Registered
229 Posts
When we go out of town we usually just have someone pop in once daily to change Everton's water and food. Even though he doesn't get a ton of attention I feel better knowing that he was looked in on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't leave my birds alone for more than a day. They need fresh water daily. They also have a very fast metabolism and need to eat a lot of food so you would need to make sure that someone is there to make sure they have food. Also, I wouldn't leave my birds without a light during the day unless they were in a very bright room. But even then birds need 12 hours of sleep which is easiest to get with a covered sleep cage so you would need someone to cover the cage and take it off in the morning. Where would you be going, is there any way you could bring the bird with you?

·
Registered
114 Posts
We have our p'lets trained on lixit water bottles so that they always have fresh water. We also include pellets and seeds in addition to their veggies. We have no problem leaving our guys alone for a few days, we just leave lots of food (no veggies) and new toys. We also keep our light on a timer. We have other animals that need checking on, so our petsitter just does a quick visual inspection of the parrotlets daily

·
Registered
636 Posts
We left Oliver alone for 3 days a few weeks ago and had someone come in twice a day to change water and food and play with him for about 20 minutes. I know that not everyone can do that but Im happy we had the resource to get him some socialization!! I know he would be OK on his own if we had to do it but I dont think Id leave him more than 3 days. At that point its just too much time by himself and I would feel bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's something that popped into my mind as I read through your post/thread... thought I might share--
I am not sure where you live, however I would check around bird stores in your area (if any) for babysitting services. In my area, Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs within an hour, there is a place that offers a "Birdie Bed & Breakfast" that is reasonably priced and where birds that stay there are given attention each day and have their water and food changed multiple times per day--as well as the entertainment of other birds in other cages in the same area. Before leaving and trusting your bird(s) with someone you don't or barely know-first, as well as your house-second, I would check into seeing if your area had such a thing. They just might:eek:!!
Lindsey & Oliver:)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have never left my birds (or dogs) overnight without someone here. I know people do it, but I would not feel comfortable with that arrangement.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I went away for 1 1/2 weeks a while ago and left my birds home with my 18yr old son. He changed food and water and paer on the bottom of the cages. He did not handle the birds much cuz my p'let bites him. He did however try to a few times when the bird acted lonely. He actually allowed him to pet him thru the bars and on a few occasions he came out of the cage for him and allowed a cuddle. My son also turned on the tv for the birds cuz he felt bad for them and tried to make it like I was home.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Thanks he has his moments...lol But for the most part he is a great kid. He lost his father to cancer at 11 so is much more sensitive to how others feel than a lot of kids his age.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The most I've ever done is one overnight. Leaving the house around 5 or 6 p.m. and returning by 12:00 the next day. The water/seed and pellets are good enough for that time. Any longer than that and I take him to my parents house in a smaller cage that I got for travel and they watch him and play with him. He gets very, very upset without interaction and I wouldn't want to do that to him. I take him by my parents house for day visits too so that he remembers the house and having me in it. That way he knows that just because he's going there it doesn't mean I'll be gone.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've left Darcy by himself for a short weekend once, but I felt so guilty I won't due it again! If my roommate is home, I don't feel too bad leaving him for a night because he has company and she can give him some fresh water. Usually if I go visit my parents for a weekend, I bring Darcy with me. He's not nuts about his cage there, but my parents like playing with them. He'll do a few tricks for my mom he won't do for me!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I never left my bird alone for more than a couple hours. When I leave for the week end, I make sure someone else change AT LEAST the water daily. In my case it's easy because I'm still living with my mother.

If you don't have anybody to take care of your bird at home, you should leave it to someone you trust. Parroltets are very sociable bird so when you leave them alone they're often bored.

When I leave my bird alone for a couple of hours I open the radio so she can listen to music.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get two.

Due to my schedule, I was told not to get one bird from the shelter I adopted, so I adopted a bonded pair of females.

I've gone away fro as much as a week, with a friend coming in once a day to change food and water.

They are alone for some long days when I'm at work, and sometimes overnight. They keep each other company, although I usually get nipped after a longfer trip.

I would feel very bad leaving a single bird alone in my apt for an 8-10 hour day while I was at work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Willow is fine with a few days

I have had to leave Willow alone a couple of times and she does fine. I have a neighbor look in and check water and food. I have never left her alone for more than two nights. If more than that she stayed with friends. I cover a corner of her cage with her night cover, but leave the natural light bulb on a timer.

PS. My neighbor knows my cardinal rule. In case of emergency rescue Willow and let the rest of the place go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take the bird with you...

I have never left my birds (or dogs) overnight without someone here. I know people do it, but I would not feel comfortable with that arrangement.
I'm so glad to hear you say this. This summer, before I got my new parrotlet, we traveled out of state, and I took my finch with me. It was only a 3 1/2 hour ride, but I had no one to watch him, so I held his travel cage on my lap for the entire ride. He was just fine. I intend to do the same thing with my parrotlet. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my bird with someone else, unless it was one of my older sons that the parrotlet knows well. We travel to the same place each summer. Do you think that my parrotlet, Munch, will be okay on this ride, and staying in a avian hotel cage?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I was thinking of thi th other day.my sister in law with th big parrot has asme to hekpp with hers whe they leave town and i was afraidbut i idi learn hoe to thange water and foog. i kow i i had surgrey or was ou of town that she would take my baby until i was better she would take great care of thm ake great care of sprot I was thinking i wanted anoth bird but i should waitn until sprout settles dowwn more. Having this little has made my depression better and even on bad days you always have smeone love and nee d...GOD HAS PLANS FOR ALL OF USAND BIRDS AREINVOLVED

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have left my p'let overnight but hate doing it. I have a light and radio on timer. She seems fine. Would it be more dangerous to take the bird with you on an overnight car trip in the colder weather? If I travel more than that, the bird is boarded at the vet along with my three dogs. I usually take my dogs but worry about taking the bird to my parents which is three hours away. I did take her when we painted the house, but it was summertime.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm doing my research on getting my first parrotlet. I'm just wondering if I have to be away for a long weekend once in a while, would it be ok for me to leave my parrotlet at home by itself (provided with sufficient food and water)? What's the maximum lengh you've gone for leaving the bird on its own?
Most definitely not. Would it survive physically? Probably. Emotionally it would cause great harm. These little guys need interaction and needs their mate. (You). Hope that helps answer your question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree regarding the emotional part of the little parrot not being okay. Unless someone can come by and check up on them daily, it's not a good idea to leave them all alone. I recently went out of town for the weekend and had my trusted bird sitter all set up. Something came up and they didn't come by and the behavior of my little feathered friend when I got home was so different. It was devastating. He was really clingy and overly sweet. I guess the heart breaking part was my knowing he was all alone and I had no idea. These birds are very intelligent and who knows how time passes by in their lives, but my little guy definitely showed me that they need that daily attention and interaction with someone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts