Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 6-9 month old Pacific, my first Parrotlet, Thursday. I'm only thirteen and have never had a bird before but my mother, whose house the bird will be living at, has had many in her life time. Since Thursday, my birdie (who I am now calling Malibu, or Boo), has become infinitely more comfortable with us.

We visited him for long hours in the pet store before getting him, he was very relaxed with us after the second time we came back to visit him, he would flap around avoiding the pet store worker who would remove him from his cage for us to hold but once he was out would be very relaxed, would stay put (mostly) and the only bighting he would do would be mouthing-type nips.

So on Thursday, it took him almost six hours before he even moved a step. I didn't see him until Friday, when he had eaten, gone to the bathroom, and drank, as well as slept. But he was very scared when I was closer than five feet to him. If I tried to touch him in the cage, he would flutter into the walls/bight me hard. But, after working with him, by the end of the day we could pet him slightly on the beak, as well as sit very close to him while he was eating, and he got very hyper at a moment when he was seemingly very happy and running around upside down on the roof of his cage.

This morning, we realized how scared he had been in the cage even in his stable environment of the pet store, so we decided to take him out in a bird-proofed room with a closed door. He was very scared at first, especially because it was a whole new room, so after we removed him from his cage we just set him on the roof of it for a while. Long story short, by now, we can remove him from his cage, hold him, let him perch on our shoulders for a while without peeping or flying. Just wondering- how accquainted to us can he realistically get, especially with the fast rate of progress he's already had? And how long will it take for him to be really used to us?

THANK YOU!!! :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Well, since it's only been two days, and his entire world has changed to living at a completely new place, he is adapting very quickly. Try understanding it from his perspective - birds are prey animals. In the wild they are killed and eaten by predators. It is their nature (survival instinct) to be fearful in new places and with new people. It does take them awhile to adapt to a new home, depending on the bird.

The only advice I have for you is to watch his reactions and body language, and make sure he is comfortable with the level of attention and handling. If he is, fine, no problem. If he backs away, shows fear, bites, he is trying to tell you he is not ready for so much attention. Patience is good, and he sounds like he will adjust quickly. Give him a few weeks and let us know how he's doing!
Reta

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my parrotlet, and he was an older bird from a pet store. It has been six weeks and while he is still a little crazy in his cage once he is out he is much calmer and will sit on my shoulder and play in my hair. It did take a couple weeks though. Just have patience.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My parrotlets were also purchased at a pet store, and are adults. They have taken a really long time (probably b/c they were a bonded pair already - you have the advantage of having yours as a single p'let!) to bond and begin to trust me. They still don't like to be handled much, and can be territorial of their cage in the sense that they don't like to be taken out. So, they come out on their own and this works much better. Once out, they rarely bite anymore if handled. This took a long while though. One thing I've learned is that Parrotlets need a TON of PATIENCE. They are such tiny little parrots with a lot of intelligence. They know the size difference. :) They are really adorable, fun, and lovable. It's really rewarding when your tiny 5 inch parrot begins to trust you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
He sounds quite tame already so in that respect you are lucky- he is used to being handled by humans so you don't have to overcome the natural fear that birds have for people (and hands).
It sounds as though he will be a very happy pet. Parrotlets cann be extremely soppy and attached to people, it's a very rewarding experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
486 Posts
The degree of tameness your bird reaches will depend a lot on how much he trusts you. Even though his progress had been rapid, pushing him too hard could cause him to lose trust in you, slowing down his progress or even reversing some of it. A bad fright might even cause him to start plucking or biting.

One thing I think that helps with taming any animal is using "shy" body language yourself. For example, keep your head lowered just a bit rather than looking hard at him like a cat would look at prey. Slow movements, along with gentle talking to explain what you are doing, will help comfort and reassure the bird. Giving the bird opportunities to watch you when you aren't looking at him will help him understand what to expect when you use that giant body of yours near him.

I'm excited for you-- you are going to have such fun building a relationship with your new friend. Your patience now will pay off well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts