Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older male parrotlet and young female. They bonded right away, but the male started pulling out the feathers on the females head. So I put a divider screen between them in an 8ft cage so they each have 4ft each. But they will just sit right next to the divider. And the female keeps trying to get into the males cage so she can be closer to him. Do I need to put them in seperate rooms? I know they like each other a lot but he's pulling out her feathers.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What you did was a good way to stop the problem. When together, your male will continue to over preen her because it is his way of showing dominance. I assume the divider is clear? If it is solid and she is trying to get into his side , then you might have to put them in separate cages away from each other, but in the same room at first. See what happens then. If she is still trying to get out of her cage, then you will have to put them in different rooms. They might start flock calling each other and this may be noisy for you. They know each one is there!

How long did you keep them together before you saw the feathers come out? Did they ever fight? Squabble? Fuss? Does she run from him and get trapped against the cage bars when she loses her feathers?
Do you want babies? Male and female have babies.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's never chased her or treated her bad. Once in a while they might give each other a "back off" squawk but that's it. The thing is, she was leaning over and turning her head so that he could pull out her feathers. Like she had no problem with it and liked it. They kinda remind me of 2 teenagers. Lol. I'm not a breeder, but I wouldn't have a problem if they have babies. When I bought him from a breeder the lady said he couldn't get any of the females "pregnant " and that's why they were getting rid of him.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Nature is nature. They have the ability to breed when together and one day, the male may succeed. There is a lot of things you have to prepare in order to have babies. One thing is an improved diet, especially for the female. A proper box is necessary. There is no way in telling if they won't have babies, so you may be surprised if they do and I hope you will be prepared. I have never known a bird to like being plucked by another bird, but they do like to be preened. If the male is removing feathers on the female, it is not the best for the female, ever.

I hope the best for both of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that helps a lot. I'll be keeping them seperate. I only have experience handfeeding parakeets.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I think you are doing a good job, so far! I raised parakeets ( budgies) for over 55 years! I love them! But when I started to get parrotlets, I found out that they were very different than budgies, as you have probably noticed! You will love your pair a lot! They are difficult birds, but well worth the effort.

A good suggestion would be to try a cockatiel seed mix for your p'letts. Since parrotlets are small hook bills, like the cockatiel, they will eat other seed mixes. Fresh veggies every other day is good. You could put a fresh broccoli floret in the cages ( between the bars next to a perch) and leave it all day long....it will not spoil in one day, but it may wilt a little. With p'letts, sometimes you have to offer fresh veggies many, many times before they try to eat any. Kale, hemp seeds, Nutriberries, strawberries, blueberries, unsalted crackers ( Triscuit ' low salt ' crackers are good), green bell peppers ( cut open a bell pepper and let them eat the seed pods! They love it), hard boiled egg ( chopped up a little), baked chicken breast ( no seasoning) chopped up into fine pieces. Freeze the extra chicken and use later. Offer chicken and egg every few days or so).

Give them some chewing toys and foraging toys.Put a few sunflower seeds or safflower seeds in the foraging toys. If you give them a real good diet, they may have babies! An egg fortified diet is very good for the hen.

What are their names? Send us a pic if you want.

David🦜🦜🦜

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. And yes they're very different. I'll try the cockatiel food. They get eggs a couple times a week and fresh veggies every day. Along with pellets.
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Parakeet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts