Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm new to this site and I'm not really sure as to how a forum works but I have a couple of questions regarding two of my parrotlets. I keep parrotlets as more of a hobby or pet (theres four of them) They are a male and a female pacific parrotlet and they currently have a nest box within their cage. I know that there are currently five eggs in the nest box. I am pretty sure that she is done laying eggs as she hasn't produced any new ones over the past few days and spends all of her time sitting on top of them. I plan on hand raising the babies and her past clutches have failed. Does anyone have any advice on candling the eggs or anyway I could possibly see the growth within the eggs ? Also when would be the proper time for me to begin hand raising them ? How much and how often do I feed them when they are being hand raised?
- Sincerely a parrotlet mom who wants to help her babies 馃槄

Banned
You can candle eggs anytime after 4-6 days of incubation, but it is easier to see the embryo around 10 days. Many people start hand feeding around 10-14 days old, if they choose not to have the parents feed the babies or co-parent. If you are not experienced with hand feeding or have someone who can show you how to do it, it may be best to leave them with the parents and co-parent. When the babies are 2 weeks old, you can start handling them daily.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
You can candle eggs anytime after 4-6 days of incubation, but it is easier to see the embryo around 10 days. Many people start hand feeding around 10-14 days old, if they choose not to have the parents feed the babies or co-parent. If you are not experienced with hand feeding or have someone who can show you how to do it, it may be best to leave them with the parents and co-parent. When the babies are 2 weeks old, you can start handling them daily.
My concern with co parenting is that the parents aren't completely trusting of me. I am the one that feeds them and handle them/ take them out however they both seem to have aggressive personalities or aggression when it comes to me. Another fear of mine is that since they would be first time parents that they might attempt killing the babies. I would of course have to wait until the time comes to see what happens and be prepared to intervene. Anyway Thank you for the advice. 馃榿

Registered
My concern with co parenting is that the parents aren't completely trusting of me. I am the one that feeds them and handle them/ take them out however they both seem to have aggressive personalities or aggression when it comes to me. Another fear of mine is that since they would be first time parents that they might attempt killing the babies. I would of course have to wait until the time comes to see what happens and be prepared to intervene. Anyway Thank you for the advice. 馃榿
Are you able to block the door to the nest box so the Mom can't get to you? It will be stressful for her, but that's how I was able to pull the little baby parrotlet out so I could co-parrent.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Are you able to block the door to the nest box so the Mom can't get to you? It will be stressful for her, but that's how I was able to pull the little baby parrotlet out so I could co-parrent.
Up until today I was not fully sure if they were fertile as her previous eggs have not been. I was able to candle one of the five eggs and it was a very stressful event for the mama bird. I can't block the opening to the nest box and if I was she is not afraid to hop on top in order to deter me. She typically leaves the box when I feed her for like a minute or two and the she immediately returns to the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts