Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a parrotlet, which will apparently drop dead at the first whiff of any odor, how the heck am I supposed to clean my house??? What kinds of cleaners do you guys use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
??? I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, what kind of stuff do you use to clean with?

Our birds have no issue with our vacuum cleaner. I wash their cage with soap and water and if I need to do something heavy duty (bleach, etc.) near their cage, I put the birds in another room.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. The smell that apparently is really bad is burning teflon (but that is really bad for you too!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Dr. Bronners Magic Soap is real good it has fragrance but it'
s natural. I may be totally wrong for this but I use all my cleaneers I just put Bitsey Jo up in another room till the smell is disapated. I use my Lampe Berger but with her out of the room. Just try to be thoughtful , if it overpowers you , you can only imagine them. Like Art said in another post they sent canaries into the coal mines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Hmm. I didn't really change any of my cleaning habits/routines/cleaners ever since I got Nemo. I guess just check to see if products are 'pet-safe,' if you're concerned about that.

The only things for me really was not to use air fresheners and teflon pots and pans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
You should be careful about cleaners. Too many have toxic fumes, and for those that still use them but close a door or seomthing, unless you can open a window and doors or seomthing, the fumes are still in your house and they will travel into the birds room.

ALso, I've said it before, but it can never be said too much. Teflon DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT need to burn to be toxic. Fumes are coming from it everytime it's heated, and there is evidence to back that up. The COMPANYS that make non stick products put it out that it is safe as long as it's not burned because their still trying to sell their product. Pregnant women in the factories that make non stick stuff (mainly Dupont) were having babies with birth defects and stuff from the toxins, and Dupont is being sued for keeping it under wraps and not coming out with the info when they discovered it.

If you think about it this way it helps. You are cooking something in your non stick frying pan. But the non stick goes all the way up the edges doesn't it? Well, you don't have food cooking on EVERY SINGLE surface do you? That's nearly impossible. So that area that's showing is heating up too, how do you know it's not overheating? Because you have your temp set to Med? Doesn't matter.

ANd it's not just Teflon, it's ANY non stick surface. Each and every one. It is so hard to find decent stuff that's not non stick. I can't find a single set of abnormal sized baking cups that aren't non stick. I can find the normal sized muffin pans, but not the extra large, or extra small ones. Most fryers of any sort are non stick these days, most crock pots are too. If you think about it too, these companys are not going to come out and admit that their products are harming people everyday, look at the money their making off it. Their doing everything they can to keep that kind of info from coming out. ANd it's sad really.

Anyways, back to what I was gonna say before. Even if it says "pet safe" it's not for your bird. Fabreze, for example, is VERY bad for your bird, yet it says it's safe to use around pets. I believe I heard somewhere that they were (or already had) put a warning on their labels that it wasn't safe to use around birds.

Know what I use? Bleach, if I have to. And ONLY if I absolutely have to. Otherwise I use dish soap a lot. It works good. And a little elbow grease. Vinigear is good too for cleaning stuff, especially bird cages.

The problem with birds over all other pets is that when they breathe, they expel ALL the air from their lungs and take in entirely new air. When we, or a dog, cat, hampster, etc breathe, there is still air left in our lungs, so we only take in a partial air change, and thus, we don't feel, or smell the full toxicity of the products we're using.

Other things you shouldn't be using are airfreshners of ANY kind, products to apply to surfaces or rugs, etc that repel stains and such, scented products of any sort, and be careful about the use of candles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
I'm gonna spray perfume on Bitsey Jo so she will smell good....just kidding



Shy little Bitsey I'm gonna put lipstick on her beak and spray her with chanel look at her wouldn't she be pretty.....I'm teasing Candi and I'm probably gonna get it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Speaking of cleaning:

If we find stray turds that have had time to dry, their residue often has the strength of concrete. We soak the stuff with a wet rag for a few minutes then use elbow grease to get it off. Besides this method or a chisel, does anyone else have a simple solution?

Regards,

Art S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To clarify

To clarify, I'm talking about cleaning my floors & wood blinds & such. I usually use a dilution of amonia (bucket & mop) for the floors, windex for the windows, Pledge for the wood....I have told the kids they need to spray those on the rag in a separate room when doing their dusting chores, THEN bring it in to clean (oh, that's gonna be inconvenient) because I read those sprays are bad for birdie. I also use a dilution of Lysol disinfectant cleaner in the bathrooms (down the hall and around the corner from birdie's room). It just seems there's so much that can do the little guys in! It's not like I can open the windows or put birdie outside (it was 18 degrees here today), and the house is small so moving to another room doesn't help a whole lot. I'm starting to think I'll just let the house turn into a pig sty. :) What about vinegar? That's a natural cleaner -- is it bad for birdies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Sorry, we got off topic:) .

If you are doing something down the hall and it isn't filling the house with fumes, then don't worry about it. I use bleach in our bathroom, which is probobly 15 - 20 feet away from the birds. They are alive and not caughing.

If you have a movable cage, I highly recommend you move your bird & cage out of the room while you clean - it will give you peace of mind and you will not panic if one of your kids accidently forgets to leave the room when he/she sprays the cleaner. If moving the cage is not possible, do your best to minimize the amount of cleaner that gets in the air but, in my opinion, go about your business and use your regular cleaners.

Remember, anything in moderation is not really harmful and even the most mundane thing is deadly in excess - I heard that a woman died from drinking too much water earlier this week, which I think makes my point.

Regards,

Art S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
I think most cleaners will be okay as long as it is not overpowering.... so like before, you can move your birds...

what I use a lot of the time for minor clean ups and cleaning cages is a mixture of vinegar, water, and lemon juice. It's all natural and will kill bacteria. I use it on the cages, toilets, sinks, and counters.... the lemon juice helps the smell.

THe main reason it works is because it is acidic, most bacteria will not be able to live in an acidic environment below a pH of 4.5. Between the vinegar and the lemon juice, you are safe. My birds don't seem to mind it in the least, and the scent isn't very strong... normall I try to make it 25% vinegar, 75% water, and about a teaspoon and a half of lemon juice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
"my idea of cleaning, is to sweep the room with a glance!"
hehehe

I use all my normal cleaners, but if i am going to use anything strong, i move the birds outside for 1/2 an hour. NEVER USE OVEN CLEANER as this will kill them. I dont use spray airfreshners nor do i use carpet freshner powders. As for the wood, i cheat and use the pledge wipes! hehehe

another thing, the "self cleaning" on the over is also toxic, so do it on a day you can put your birds outside!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top