Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I wasn't looking my Bebe found is way to a cup of milk and fell in ( I know milk is bad for him and his poop is very healthy so he didn't drink any) but I can't just leave milk on him, it could cause irritation and plucking. Milk also goes bad and can cause lots more problems therefore I want to clean him however he hates water and even if I turn on the tap and play rainfall sounds and give him access to water, he won't bathe himself, I can't force him to bathe. What should I do?!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you haven't already done so, put out a shallow bowl/pan of cold water for him to hop into. He may just figure out how to splash around and give himself a bath. If he doesn't, then you might try misting him from a spray bottle or even putting him on your finger and holding him near to some dripping water from a faucet or the shower.

It will really depend on his temperment. My silly Daisy hates being misted, refuses to go near any kind of dripping water and will only consent to bathe herself if the water is really cold and in her drinking cup! She's got a bathing dish but never uses it---I guess she likes small bathing spaces to match her size!

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
It is important that you clean him, even if you have to hold him in a towel( never hold him in your hand) and wipe him off with a damp towel as much as you can. If you have a lid, like a lid to a tub of butter, ( it is about a quarter of an inch deep ), then clean it and put cold water in it.

Put it on the counter top. Get him near it and stick your finger in the water and flick it on his face. You can also get water on your finger and let it drip off the end of your finger and feed him the water that drips off the end of your finger. Do this several times and he may get into the water or he may walk around the lid and dip his wings in the water.

My parrotlet will not take a bath unless he is prompted just like I explained above. There has been a few times, though, when he volunteered to take a bath, but it is rare. (usually when I clean his cage).

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Hmmm....Well in addition to the other suggestions I would say in this case your probably just going to have to get a hold of him and get him under some gentle running water. He's not going to like it but he will get over it. I guess it also depends on how milky he got. If you have to use a towel to hold him just be gentle, remember not to squeeze his chest in anyway do the best you can to wet him down and then let him fluff it out and dry.
Some people may not want to do this but it's just the rout I personally would take to fix the problem, sometimes mom's have to be the bad guy. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
LOL! Parrotlet in a cup of milk! For some reason, that is hysterical to me. :)
Ok, now for a helpful comment. If Bebe won't bathe himself, I would wrap him in a washcloth and then carefully put him under running water. Make sure to leave his head free and make sure that his head doesn't go under water, just focus on getting his back and wings wet. And remember that they breathe with their crest, so don't hold the chest tight. Hopefully, Bebe will bathe without being forced, but you are right, milk needs to be washed off.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Honestly as said above, if you can hold him in a washcloth or just in your hands (if you don't flinch when bitten) you should be able to hold him under a gentle running tap for a few seconds until he's soaked through. It's not going to be fun for either of you, but I've done it before and they get over it. Just make sure you don't get his head too wet!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help, he is all nice and clean now! And fluffyer then ever. I never thought he would fall into a cup of milk XD . I will be sure to remove any cups from his reach :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts