Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We lost our 17 year old p'let a few months ago and she wasn't too chatty... She would peep loudly if she didn't like something, chitter excitedly for fresh food/water/treats etc, and would peep excessively if the cat/dog got close and she didn't like it... Other than that she was pretty quiet

Our new little buddy, blue pied, is 14 weeks old and chats/peeps/cheeps etc nonstop for about 10+ minutes at a time six or eight times a day. He goes from a higher pitched fast rhythmic peeping and then drops down to a longer deeper sound, does things that sound like he might be trying to say things etc... I will try to get a good video and post it :) at times it sounds like he is mimicking a dubstep song lol

We are still seeing his personality before we name him 馃檪

How chatty/peepy/chirpy are your p'lets?

Super Moderator
Jules tends to fuss. She gets excited and lets us know or flock calls if she loses track of us.
Rio is down right chatty. He goes every where from flock calls, whines like a baby if he loses track of Jules, will sit in the sun and just chirp like outdoor birds. It is an interesting change of pace. Also he tends to be a softer chirper than Jules.

Registered
My Sunshine has the sweetest chirps, he just goes on and on with his little melody and they are so quiet. He occasionally flock calls for us and every now and then he will chip loudly. My last guy was a screamer and so loud. Im loving this quiet guy for as long as it lasts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
My Sunshine has the sweetest chirps, he just goes on and on with his little melody and they are so quiet. He occasionally flock calls for us and every now and then he will chip loudly. My last guy was a screamer and so loud. Im loving this quiet guy for as long as it lasts.
We decided on a name Pip aka Pipsqueak!

Ya pip is silly ge will peep/cheep/sing dubstep and really sounds like he is working on a few words fairly loud for long periods of time. I recorded some of his noises and played it back and he started flock calling REALLY loud, easily much louder than our old p'let!

We have his small cage close to our quakers cage tonight and he has been peeping/chirping a ton, Trying to get her attention lol but the quaker has looked at him but hasn't responded to him lol.

Registered
HI. You said your bird is " chatty-peepy-chirpy " ? He sounds like he should be called," Chipper ! " or " Chip " because he is just that...Chipper! Excited....happy....etc..

David馃

Registered
Monty is very vocal. In the mornings when he is alone in his cage and hasn't been woken up he will call and call and call if he hears that we are awake. After breakfast if he is downstairs and I am upstairs he will practice his talking quite loudly (peekaboo, yummy yummy, and various other calls he's picked up). If my partner unloads the dishwasher he shrieks with the dropping of cutlery in the drawer because he loves it, and if we are talking on the phone he wants attention so he will try to loudly join in. He also flock calls like crazy if we leave the room. Only time he is quiet is when it's the evening and he's in his coconut or if he is sitting on my computer keyboard and preening/sleeping. When people said parrotlets were quiet, I thought he would be but he is very vocal! Less constant noise though, compared with a budgie for example, but he is much louder overall.

Registered
My parrotlet, first thing in the morning sits there and talks and whistles. It's like he's practicing his speech/es LOL Some of his words are very clear now.... stop it, steppppp (he drags it out like I do), whatcha doin, don't bite me, kiss and the smacking of lips sound, pretty boy and a few others. He's got baby bird whistles nailed, wolf whistles and dog whistles too.

AS SOON AS he spots movement on my bed, he starts that high pitched noise. If I don't move, it stops - if I continue to move, it's like the frequency of noise when you leave a refrigerator door open etc ... UGHHHH It cannot be ignored :D
Bahaha Monty is the same! As soon as he knows you're awake, he's off shrieking until you go get him.

Super Moderator
Bahaha Monty is the same! As soon as he knows you're awake, he's off shrieking until you go get him.
That is Jules, she fusses like the crazy when she wants out.
Rio, cries. He sounds like a little human baby. It is heartbreaking.
Jules fussing is easier to take, she quiets down after a bit as long as she can see us or does not know were are around. Rio crying gets louder and goes on and on. You have to let him out or you have no heart......

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry for your loss, 17 is a good old age!! You clearly are a wonderful parront. Pip is a lucky guy!
To answer your question, all of my parrotlets have been annoyingly loud and obnoxious. LOL
okay well I take it back, Lilly is and Melody was loud and obnoxious with the flock calling, Tobie was loud but he was adorable with his little squeeks and sounds and songs and beeps. I miss his singing so much.

Registered
My little guy is also named Pip. Pipsqueak was what I also thought of, as well as he鈥檚 a real pip.
He does chitter, peep, whistle and talks a lot. He sometimes wakes before I come out of the bedroom and he will make some peeps and flock calls, but not too loud. His cage door is open most of the time, but his wings are clipped, so he doesn鈥檛 fly around. He does, however, walk around a lot on his cage and, of course, loves to sit on me. If I am not paying enough attention, he will say certain things that get a response from me. He will say 鈥減lease open the door鈥 so I will respond 鈥渢he door is open鈥 or kiss-kiss so we will both make the kissy noise. If he is sitting on my shoulder and I am dozing off, he will yell 鈥減eekaboo 鈥 in my ear and head butt me. We talk back and forth all day. Sometimes he burbles in parrotlet and then intersperses with human words and phrases.
When my grandson was visiting he said that at his loudest, Pip鈥檚 hollering was just under the truly annoying level, so I am grateful for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts