Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new parrotlet (as some of you know) - he's like 2 months old.

I first brought him home, he seemed skittish, shy, etc etc.

Now, its the total opposite. He'll make a loud screech if I walk out of the room, and wont stop until I come back.

I spoil the crap out of him - I gave him brocolli and green beans today (I cut them up). I take him out a lot, and let him sit on me while I work on the computer - I work from home and program all day.

I pet him, rub his neck (he loves that, especially under his beak), he'll just be content with me all day. Now, he's taking a liking to chewing on me. He found my earlobes and has been chewing on them, so I've been holding my head crooked depending on which side he's on so he cant reach.

He sees me, he goes nuts in his cage, he's all over the sides, etc.

Is this normal? Does this mean he's bonded to me? I cant believe the turn of events - one minute I thought he was sick, and I warmed him up, etc etc, and now, he's like an energetic kid. I love it ;)

Andy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yup, he's bonded.

I'd nip the chewing thing in the bud - this will cause you problems later. Also, if possible, have him socialize with other people - this will make for a less possesive bird (you are now his - you don't want him attacking your friends because he's jealous).

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Andy he reallly likes you. Thnk about it would you rather sit in a cage alone all day or sit on your Daddy's shoulder and be petted all day. Me I wouldn't pick the cage.LOL I glad he is better. Andy maybe your should just keep the appt. to make sure he's OK. I am concerned about getting him out in the cold. They do mask their illnesses but watch him close Andy and if you have a second sense for anything odd go go to the doctor OK?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper REALLY loves to be with me. We have a nice schedule. She takes a nap when I nap. We are very close.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You're lucky. I have spent so much time with Bitsy. I can tell he is bonded to us -- but he sure is not as affectionate as you describe your bird being! These little guys are just great, aren't they?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
With fear of sounding like the wet sponge here :eek:

I agree it is VERY flattering when our birds show their bond to us by calling and/or 'demanding' to be let out and be with us.

But from experience with my last bird - for those of you with young birds - BEWARE of creating a problem bird by giving in to their demands when they are young. Remember these birds will be with us for up to 25 years and although its cute now, can you put up with their demands 5 or 10 or 15 years from now :confused:

When my last bird was young I was smitten with her and let her out whenever she 'told' me she wanted out- as I wanted her with me also. But over the years it became IMPOSSIBLE to keep her in her cage for any length of time - if we had company over I had to wheel her cage into another room and still she would scream the entire time. I had created a huge problem and I knew it. So I gave in and always kept her out on her play gym as she was fine with that but very possessive over me [and in the beginning that was flattering also - this was a Senegal - luckily Parrotlets don't, as a general rule, have those possessive tendencies]

With my P'let now I won't make the same mistake - He is only taken out when he is quiet - I COMPLETELY ignore when he yells to be out [I won't even look at him] and wait until he settles down and is quiet and then I rush over to take him out. I am very consistent with this and I notice it working big time. I think he's figuring, why bother yelling it doesn't do any good :rolleyes:

You can tell the difference if your bird is 'yelling' compared to "normal" bird noise or play noise. When Mr. Peepers yells he is ignored - when he is playing normally or giving 'normal' bird sounds or is quiet he is fussed over and taken out.

From this forum I've gathered the males are the ones with most - if not all of the yelling/demanding issues [unlike in the human species - KIDDING :) :eek:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What do you mean KIDDING...sounds right to me...;) . Now to go and get yelled at by my wife for this insensetive post...:D

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You two can't really believe I'm gonna let you get away with that do you? I'm gonna break this this up right now and move your desks away from each other . You know ya'll couldn't do without your girls. Say your sorry....say- your- sorry!

·
Registered
514 Posts
:cool:WHHHHHAAATTTTT? A little male chauvinist stuff going on here - right here on Talk Parrotlets????????? Behave yourselves guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts