Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hello, its us and Kiki again! Sorry if this is not exactly the right sub to post in, but it does concern our parrotlets mental health..
So here is the deal, we just got an invitation from my in-laws to join them on a resort holiday.
The things are a bit complicated. My wife is from Belarus and we live in the UK. I guess I dont have to tell you how bad things politically are in Belarus.
Its a closed country pretty much atm and seeing in-laws is very precious time.
Its been a month last Saturday since we got Kiki and the proposed holidays are set for last week of November, which will be 2 months since we got him.
So yeah, how bad is the idea of parting with him for 8 days in such early and important stage of our bonding process? If we even would be able to find someone trustworthy to look after him. Please be maximum honest as Kiki is so important to us, we want only the best for him. And while holidays and parting will surely happen in the future, I am concerned this time around. Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Will depend on who / how he is cared for while you are gone. What are your options? It is never good to leave at the early part of the bonding process. It will delay things. But if he can be cared by somebody that knows what they are doing and he is not left alone all the time then things should work out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will depend on who / how he is cared for while you are gone. What are your options? It is never good to leave at the early part of the bonding process. It will delay things. But if he can be cared by somebody that knows what they are doing and he is not left alone all the time then things should work out.
Thank you for your kind reply!
And unfortunately options we don't have many.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Who ever you get to take care of Kiki, I would suggest you have them over before you leave and show them how to do everything. Have them change the food and water, etc.(and spend some time with Kiki). Some people do not realize that they are scared of birds. You may try to have a back-up person just in case in case something happens (like a family emergency), and your bird sitter cannot look after him. Stuff does happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who ever you get to take care of Kiki, I would suggest you have them over before you leave and show them how to do everything. Have them change the food and water, etc.(and spend some time with Kiki). Some people do not realize that they are scared of birds. You may try to have a back-up person just in case in case something happens (like a family emergency), and your bird sitter cannot look after him. Stuff does happen.
Thank you for your reply too! Good advice right there.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
What do you guys think of a properly checked up Pet sitting service?
If they do birds then fine. Also check with your avian vet if they know somebody that does bird sitting / visiting. We have a vet tech that has a few birds herself where we board Rio with when we go on trips and my mother is not available. When mom is available he goes to her place. She can’t handle him but she does feed / water and interact with him. He loves it. So does she.

Reactions: Radik

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
It is always difficult to leave our little guys for any period of time but you’re right, it is inevitable. There are lots of variables in how your absence will affect him not the least of which is his own personality. The previous video you have of him giving him scritches sure seems to suggest a well-adjusted little guy.

I can’t remember if you said you were home with him all the time but if so, I would say he would definitely miss your presence but this is not a reason to not get on with your life. I personally always suggest that you ensure balance in your relationship with your bird - sometimes you cater to him and sometimes you cater to you. In my case, Kiwi is quite old so I won’t leave her for our usual get away in the winter but from when she was quite young, I would do so. I tend to think your progress with him has been excellent and I can’t imagine that it would be affected by an 8 day absence.

I think your bigger issue is what to do with him while you are away. If someone has been with him all day every day, you probably should have a situation where someone is around quite a lot. If you are able to secure a good pet sitter who is familiar with birds, I personally think that is best. I have a bird sitter for Kiwi who actually only sits birds (from very large parrots to tiny finches) and she is very experienced. Kiwi became very familiar with her and would actually chirp happily when I brought her there. This lady kept birds of different sizes in different areas of her house and really catered to their individual needs. There was always the risk of disease transmission, of course, but she was vigilant about cage and dish cleaning and disinfecting her home. I never had an issue in 18 years of using her services. Kiwi would often come home with different bird sounds and chatter - always happy and excited to see us but clearly happy during her stay. The nice thing was that I never had to find someone to look after her and try to teach someone her ways. Even when my sister in law would stay at our house with our dog, I still took Kiwi to the sitter (or birdie spa as I called it). It took the pressure off her and Kiwi enjoyed it.

So in your case, I would focus some energy on finding a good pet sitter with bird experience preferably. Asking for a vet reference is a good idea too - the lady I had got a reference from my own avian vet, so that was reassuring. I also advised my avian vet of my absence and ensured that payment was arranged in the event the sitter had to bring Kiwi to the vet (which never happened, by the way). Then away I went - not without a bit of guilt in my heart - but I would email the sitter for updates and it was always clear Kiwi was doing great. I think accepting that there is some risk anytime you are not caring for your bird yourself helps too. Just consciously acknowledging it to yourself sort of helps you from that nagging worry that you get from your subconscious if you try not to think about it. Then go. It will be good for you and for your bird. Separation will happen and establishing a pattern where they know you will return and you know they survive and thrive without you isn’t a bad thing for either if you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all, and in your case Ginzi, wowzers long reply! Sorry I did not come back earlier, was really busy past 2 days. So later today, we are going to check out a local - ish, pet sitter that does bunnies and birds and seems promising. So fingers crossed

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Thank you all, and in your case Ginzi, wowzers long reply! Sorry I did not come back earlier, was really busy past 2 days. So later today, we are going to check out a local - ish, pet sitter that does bunnies and birds and seems promising. So fingers crossed
Birds and Bunnies sounds good. I would be wary of folk that do dogs / cats or other predators in that unless your bird is used to such animals it will be a problem with stress. Birds need to be separate or with other prey animals so to minimize stress.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hey Hey hello friends! A little update on the Hotel for Kiki lol. So we went to see this local person and glad we did as he turned out to be a really nice guy. A retired couple that runs a small side business and the place just feels nice. They pet sit literally in their own home!
We have agreed on the dates and fingers crossed all will be fine and little Kiki returning in happy mood, when time comes.
I also would like to ask you all a new question if I may.
So our bonding is progressing well! Sitting on shoulders today, deliberately coming out of cage to check us, totally without any offered treat, etc. But we have a biting issue. Not that he bites us all the time, no not that. But he bites everything around him like a machine! And can't stop. So naturally we are worried in case he would eat some fabrics from pillows and clothing and such. Do you know what could be behind? He is just such a character. He is sweet and chirping most of time, but he can get very temperamental sometimes, which is normal for them. But this constant biting, we don't know how to deal with it as he does it at a pace of a hoover  And blowing on him doesn't help haha.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Congratulations for making such good progress with Kiki! You are doing great! It sounds like he is getting more comfortable with you and his surroundings. Everything will fall into place - just remember to go at his pace. I have had Pugsley going on three months and I sill can't give him scritches. But we are getting there. Rome wasn't built in a day! And, boy, can I relate to the biting - Welcome to the Four-Month-Old Bite Club. My four month old Pugsley has been going through a biting phase too. I have managed to distract him from biting me with some training, but he still tries to bite and chew everything else. Everything goes in his beak. I just put stuff away or distract him. The good news is that Kiki (and Pugsley) should outgrow it with time..

Oh, good job finding some reliable bird sitters! (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Parrotlets definitely explore their worlds through their beaks and at such a young age, there is a lot to explore. You are right to be wary of Kiki ingesting anything but for the most part, I find that they typically roll it around in their beaks and spit it out. But keeping it out of their beaks is the best policy. Kiwi has always been relatively easily distracted by a piece of paper towel or tissue tucked into my clenched hand, with a bit sticking out by my thumb. She is happy to perch on my finger or thumb and ríp and shred that thing to smitherines! She also used to love chasing s crumpled up paper ball and tearing it to shreds. Sometimes I would play with it on the table or counter and she would chase it and have a grand time dropping it to the floor so her loyal servant would keep picking it up for her. I have heard that bottle caps are also a popular choice.

Chewing is a natural behaviour for them, and good for the beak, so I don’t think you will find it will ever go away. Lessen, yes, as they get better at understanding the world. But Kiwi still tries to chew things like my phone, the tv remote, and other things that are off limits. I think every magazine I own has those little semi-circle bite marks in them…and many of my Christmas cards. I am happy to hear you are not always the source of his chewing! Be thankful for that - we usually are!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts