Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Mike and I a dietetic major at my university. I have also been a vet tech for the last 6 years.

I have a mini zoo. 3 orange cats (Catfish, Eggroll, Ducksauce), 3 american budgies (Sweet, Sour, and Pinot Noir), 1 quaker parrot (General Tso), and within the next week or 2 a parrotlet (Gelato)... I also own 22 hermit crabs (12 purple pinchers, 4 equadorians, 6 strawberries).

anyways, jsut wanted to say hello1

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey catfish welcome. Orange cats my favorite. We need a vet tech here in case of emergency LOL. Let me guess your favorite foods Asian. southern and Italian. Tell us all about yourself and how you came to have sooooooooo many pets? Where does one keep 24 hermits?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This could take a few minutes.......

Okay.... catfish is my first pet. He was 6 months old when I got him. He was scheduled to be euthanized because of an aggressive behavior, but my boss at the time felt bad and just kept him. 4 other people tried to take him and he attacked them . . . in fact he had a couple standing on their couch because he would attack them and draw blood, the managed to throw a blanket over him and bring him back.... so i took him home, because I was the only one that could play with him at work, and he was totally sweet with me... slept with me and followed me everywhere. In fact he is totally my cat, he will wait for me at the door and will greet me at the door every night I come home.

Eggroll is one of the 2 kittens I bottle fed (his brother went to my sister along with a little orange girl I took home too). A yorkie killed his mom and one of his brothers, and seriously injured his other brother. i had to bottle feed both kittens plus do wet to dry bandages on the injured kitten's leg.

Ducksauce was rescued from the streets by a friend, and she knows I'm a sucker for orange cats... so she basically said here's your new cat...

2 of my budgies are strays that people brought in...they are sweet and sour. Pinot Noir is from a bin-o-budgies, I just like budgies.

My quaker was bought from a local Petco where I do a lot of hermit crab shopping, and I'm friendly with the managers. People kept returning him because he was loud and not very affectionate. We have finally gotten his screaming to a minimum, and instead he says "Hello. Banana. Kissy Kissy" when he wants attention, plus he "sings" to me when he REALLY wants attention. I got a great deal on him, $300 for a hand tame quaker and a large cage and stand (the store nomrally sells them for about $140), all because people didn't understand his needs and personallity. He is actually very sweet natured...

i am buying the parrotlet from a breeder that I respect. I want a bird to cart around back and forth from my partner's house. . . it's a way of getting everyone used to birds, people and animals. Plus I love, LOVE, LOVE parrotlets. They are jsut sooooooo freaking cute~ I also did a lot of research on birds, and the general personality of the smaller birds. the parrotlets won me over the most...

I keep my hermit crabs in a 40 gallon tank in the living room. They have a bubble pool, waterfall, and lots of drift wood to climb on... plus organic food.

*phew* that's a lot of writing isn't it? :eek: SoRry~

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Catfish,

What can I say...WOW!! My wife and I enjoyed your post.

It's also good to have someone with veteranary experience among us - feel free to read though the various threads and add your two cents!

Hopefully you will find our real life experience and support useful!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You may be kindred spirit, I have four rescue dogs and 1 rescue p'let,LOL Maybe we have sucker written on our faces :D LOL I used to work at a no-kill shelter and I was cat girl, most time there was about 50. Seriously that is alot of litter pans.. pew whew! No one has experienced anything close to drawing blood from a feral cat except maybe soilders on the front line in war or maybe people who are crazy enough to stick there hand in a fan.LOL I worked for a summer and had enough it's a thank less job and real depressing. No more rescues for me, mine are all old and I'm at the age that I am looking for grandbabies not more pets.LOL Nice to meet you and look forward to your posts..Welcome:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome!

What an assortment of animals you have over there. :p

For NOW, I have 1 dog, 3 turtles, 1 rabbit, and 1 Parrotlet, of course.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love forums like this. I'll do my best to add my 2 cents, but I'm sure you all know as much, if not more than myself... I do work with birds at my job, but most of my experiance is with dogs and cats... when birds come into my job (i work at an emergancy vet clinic 24hrs and full service) it's normally too late to help them... occasionally we get a few that can be saved with meds.... my little parakeet that I just lost after 5 days was a rescue that we started on doxy and ended up nebulizing.. poor little thing just couldn't pull through.

I'm a sucker for strays too... and yes, it is hard to explain the "fun" of drawing blood from a feral.... but the best part is trying to sedate for a spay or neuter on them, I've had cats bite through my leather gloves.... at the very least, it's exciting!;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts