Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a little jar of Higgins Snack Attack Pro-Teen 25.

I don't know what exactly it is for, or if it's useful.

Here is a pic:
http://www.birdeez.com/Merchant2/me...Code=B&Product_Code=0023x&Category_Code=hffbc
_______
It says: Nestling egg food.

Active Pro-Biotics

Great source of proteins

Real egg and honey.
__
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min)- 15.0%
Crude Fiber (max)- 4.0%
Crude Fat (min)- 4.0%
Moisture (max) 13.0%

Ingredients:
Ingredients:Whole Wheat Flouor, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour, Soya Flour, Corn Meal, Dried Whole Eggs, Wheat Germ, Sucrose, Honey, Ground, Almond Meal, Sesame Meal, Soybean Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Niger, Hemp, Poppy, Millet. Oats, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Lactobacillus Lactis, Dried Whey, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid.
__
Should I use it?
What do you think about it?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ingredients:
Ingredients:Whole Wheat Flouor, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour, Soya Flour, Corn Meal, Dried Whole Eggs, Wheat Germ, Sucrose, Honey, Ground, Almond Meal, Sesame Meal, Soybean Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate), Niger, Hemp, Poppy, Millet. Oats, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Lactobacillus Lactis, Dried Whey, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid.

Looks like a lot of grain, sugar and honey for sweetening (although honey does have antibiotic properties), some probiotics (the Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Lactobacillus Lactis,) and finally some vitamin C.

Probiotics in humans is a good thing to help keep the GI track healthy, along with prebiotics (the stuff the good bacteria like to eat).

For me, I would give it as a part of the diet, but not the core part. Just my opinion

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I'm definately not going to give it to them much at all. Just one teaspoon in a small dish in the cage, per day, should suffice, as the instructions say.

I just wanted to make sure it was okay for them, or was actually going to benefit in the least way.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's fine. We used to use it, but no longer do. I tend to stay away from pet foods, the ingredients are not approved for human consumption, so I don't want to feed them to my pets - they eat what is good for me :)

Flour is only enriched when it has been processed/stripped of its wholesome ingredients. Also, there has been a study done at the University of Hannover by Dr. Wolf showing that in captivity, animal proteins are not necessary and are sometimes harmful to parrots. Also, excessive feeding of egg foods can cause visceral gout.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Enriched for humans is still fine, it has the vitamins and minerals lost through processing, but the products lack the fiber present in the whole grain.

I prefer whole grain because I don't like supplements or vitamins, and I don't like the idea of my foods being sprayed to replace the vitamins that were naturally there. A vitamin is a vitamin whether it be sprayed or natural, but for me, why mess with a good thing more than i already have to? Plus it's an easy way for me to get my daily amount of fiber.

Oh and thanks for letting us know about the risks of too much egg. I didn't know that~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts