Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Senor Azul is my new baby parrotlet. I wanted him for so long and it wasn't easy to find a blue mutation male parrotlet in New York. But I finally did and just picked him up last Sunday.

Unfortunately, he wasn't as tame as I hoped he would be. The breader said that he was hand fed, but I don't think she handled him very much and if so, she let him go wild. In fact the first thing that happened when she took the little guys out of their cage was they flew away straight into the kitchen and right into the window. I felt so bad. They kept flying into things like the TV and the windows.

So I decided to bring my little guy home right away even though that wasn't my plan. I thought it was better to get him home and start working with him.

He's a very good little boy. It's been hard to work with him because he starts to get sleepy as soon as I'm home at about 6:30. I hope I can get him to stay up later so I can hang out with him in the evenings and make sure he's eating dinner. He doesn't seem interested in his grains, beans and veggies for breakfast.

As you see I'm at the beginning stages and hope you might recall some of the challenges I will face. I love reading the threads and looking at the pictures of your birds. They are so cute.

Thanks in advance,
Cari ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey Cari! Welcome to the site :) . Eventually, he should get used to a new bed time. Our birds know that they're put to bed after they're fed at night, which is usually around 8:30-9:00.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement. Fortunately my boyfriend has more experience with birds than I do. He's already taught me some good handling tricks. I'm learning how to redirect him with gentle touches and how to teach him how to be still and let me hold him safely in my hands. He even gave me some kisses this evening. Unfortunately, after he got distracted, that phase was over and he was itching to get back into his cage. Poor little guy.

Take care.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Just curious as to which breeder you went to.
I am in new york as well. Both my little guys came from
a couple in East Patchouge, I think they supply parrots of the world
with parrotlets once in a while

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got my Py from Mark Marrone's shop out in Long Island - Py has done really well, but I'm thinking he might need a buddy or buddy-ette...does anyone know of other places in the NY area? I live in Westchester County.
Liz

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I got my Py from Mark Marrone's shop out in Long Island - Py has done really well, but I'm thinking he might need a buddy or buddy-ette...does anyone know of other places in the NY area? I live in Westchester County.
Liz
there's that place on central avenue.. i think it's scarsdale
that sells exotic birds. http://www.birdjungle.com/

I've never been in there but apparently they carry p'lets
I don't know if they are hand-tame and all that
I guess if you live near there it's worth a trip

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Welcome, Cari and Senor Azule! I have had my little girl, Chipper for almost two years. We love her and she has come a long way. She was a wild child of 7 months when we brought her home.

I got advise on bird forums to be patient. That is the key. Do not rush the relationship. Chipper and I are SOOOO CLOSE now. Took months to really start bonding. Trust with birds takes time, unlike little doggies. I found it VERY different. It is also very rewarding to see them slowly change from nippy to trusting and loving.

Make sure you have a nice large cage. Flight cage with lots of toys and rope perches works great. They need lots of sleep. About 12 quiet hours. They need a diet of various foods also.

You will really be happy you have him, just don't get frustrated. Take your time.

Chipper sometimes wants to go to bed at 6pm, but I just put her on my shoulder and keep her up a bit later. She sleeps until 9am and takes a nap too.

I am glad you are here and we all love to learn and share stories and most of all, PHOTOS!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Cari :) Welcome to the forum, you and Senor Azul should fit well here. There are lots of interesting and important information you can learn from past threads. Congratulations on finding your blue baby! Regardless of his wild side, I'm sure your journey in training will be a great experience for you both!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome Cari and Senor Azul, lots of good stuff here, you will enjoy your stay! Don't forget to post a PIC so we can see your Baby!
Riddler

1 - 9 of 9 Posts