Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I'm happy I found this site. My name is Candace. I suppose that I would consider myself decently knowledgable in the parrot area. I now own a pair of bonded pacific parrotlets, who have no names yet (we're still looking!) We adopted them thru our local shelter partway thru Oct, so we haven't had them very long.

They are not very tame, but we're working on that. They are fine with hands, but are scared when you attempt to get them to step up on anything else but a friendly finger. The female is partially tame, the male is fairly wild. We are working on that tho. I'm hoping that as the female tames more so will the male (altho, not at the same rate I'm assuming)

I am a member of another forum All Things Feathered. It's a great place as well, it also has just started in Sept. It is for birds of any kind tho, not just parrotlets. I'm currently the only parrotlet owner on there, which led me here!

Before my parrotlets I owned a green cheek conure for over 2 yrs. He was adopted about 4 mnths after hatching. He passed in Sept, which was totally heart breaking, he was loved SO much and is missed terribly!

I'm excited to post any pics I have so far of the parrotlets and hear more about others here. If anyone has any questions for me regarding anything, including my experience in parrots or my knowledge I'm all up for it! (I like tests!) Altho, I admit that I specialize a BIT more with green cheeks than I do with parrotlets so far, but I'm learning (and trying to learn) more about their specific needs and all. We're thrilled with our new family members.

Also, me and my fiance have 1 furry kid named Panther (a black cat), 3 scaley kids (turtles) and 2 bald real children. Our baby boy is almost 3 mnths, and our daughter is 22 mnths.

And yes, all our kids, whether feathered, scaly, furry or bald have a forever home here no matter what comes our way, just so ya know! ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, what a handful! In addition to my 2 feathered babies, I have 2 cats & a tortoise. I can't imagine adding actual human babies to the mix! LOL.

I just wanted to offer that my pair, purchased separately and a year apart, were both around a year old when I got them. Don't give up on them, but don't be amazed if they do not turn into "luv bugs" either. Mine will allow you to put them on a finger & do step ups, but as a pair they care more about each other then me. This leads to a bit of territorial issues regarding the cage & trying to separate them outside the cage.

Good luck, I'm sure you will love your new babies!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ms F, I'm not expecting these 2 to ever be really really tame, at least not like my green cheek was. I'm hoping that they will become comfortable in our home and with being apart of our flock, and that's about it. I don't need any more snuggle bugs, I've got 2 kids and a cat to fill that position! LOL. If they tame down more, that's great. But if not we're not too worried, their in their forever home now, no matter how tame they ever are.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love turtles and tortoises! What kind of tortoise do you have?
She's a Russian Tortoise named Stella. :)

Candi33, what a great attitude you have! I have know a lot of bird owners, heck a lot of pet owners that give up on an animal if they aren't snuggly. That you hope they are comfortable in your home says volumes about you. Nice to meet you Candace!:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh geez, thanks Ms F. It's nice to meet you too!

I get so sad when I hear ppl saying that they want a bird that talks, that will be super super cuddley, etc. Plus the fact that some ppl never do anything to encourage these kind of behaviours, and just expect it to happen. And then worse, dispose of the said pet when it doesn't 'produce' the results they wanted.

All of our pets are in their forever home. We will never go anywhere they can't be, and no matter what happens they will never go anywhere else. We were faced with the fact this spring that our male cat may never stop spraying (he was pretty bad, and it was pretty set in already (as a normal behaviour)) but we never thought of giving him away. We were looking at our other options for how we could accomadate our lives around his spraying and what we could do if he never stopped. Same with our birds, it doesn't matter what they do, or how tame they are. This is their home forever. If they don't tame down anymore than this, and I'm unable to bring them out to get exercise everyday, then we will just buy them a larger flight cage so they have tons of room to fly about and play with toys. And all I can do is do my best to make them comfortable in there. Altho, i doubt that will be the case. I can see the female taming down a lot, but not the male so much. I see his potential in being comfortable with the family and that's about it. I see him just hanging out, but not wanting to really socialize and be petted or anything.... The female I can see turning into a big suck and very spoiled brat who is constantly wanting everything that we have, she is already looking that way! LOL

I would definetely like to hear more about your guys, and your tortoise! :D I love turtles (and tortoises) so would love to see pics and hear any stories about her! I have a few pics of my turtles as well, if anyone's interested...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts