Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What a nice resource! I want to get a bird for my older daughter Lindsay and myself, I like the looks of these little guys. Their size and personality seem perfect.

Lindsay is 10 and has been wanting a pet, but my wife is allergic to everything but birds and fish. After doing some research, I realize I want a bird as well. I work at home a few days a week, so those days it could get out and hop around on my desk, though I think I would have to discourage it from sitting on the monitor. It would be great to have a little buddy to keep me company, and it could teach Lindsay all the lessons that pets can teach. (Lindsay is extremely gentle and surprisingly responsible for her age.)

I imagine that since this is the talk parrotlet forum that everyone would agree that a parrotlet would be ideal for this situation, but if not, please chirp up.

Also, one quick question, any suggestions for buying or visiting parrotlets in the Sierra Foothills? (I also go to the bay area often.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mattz,

Welcome aboard! hopefully one of the CA members will able to help you with your question.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome , you can find alot of behavior information here Mattz, look around and do your homework before you decide. Personally I have mine by accident and she is one of my greatest treasures...good luck hope we all can help.( what a nice Daddy.. Lindsay is lucky)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'll post this here also:

I know where Rescue CA is :) -

I live in Placer County :D

The Breeder in Santa Cruz Linda Lee mentioned is the Parrotlet Ranch – run by Sandee & Robert Molenda – I got my female there last month. They are very well known in the Parrotlet world.

Although I would inquire on the level of taming – my female although hand fed was not very tame so I had to put a lot of work into her. But she is beautiful and very healthy.

Here is the link if you are interested: http://parrotletranch.com/

There is also the Bird Store in Sacramento – that is top notch and usually has very good stock – if you want I can get the address for you.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Wow - I didn't even know they had a website - COOL.

Their birds are usually pretty socialized as they all interact with them - so if its been there a while I'm sure its pretty tame.

Yes the trip to Santa Cruz I agree is worth it - plus it was a really nice ride there - I lived in the Bay Area and went to Santa Cruz a lot during high school days.

But check out the one at the shop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been to the Bird Shop...Got my first Budgie Cage there. Very nice people. You might want to check and compare the prices of a P'let at the Parrotlet Ranch, before you go and fall in love with the one at the Bird Shop. I'm thinking if and when I get one, I'll probably drive down to Santa Cruz...Like you said, it's not that far.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow - I didn't even know they had a website - COOL.

Their birds are usually pretty socialized as they all interact with them - so if its been there a while I'm sure its pretty tame.

Good luck.
Yes, I believe it was there about two months ago, when I was last there. At that time I didn't know anything about P'lets, and thought it was a type of Lovebird. It was out were anyone could handle it.

Pado-
The website is rather new. You can sign up for their specials by e-mail.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The price for my female - Green Pacific Lucida at the Parrotlet Ranch - $125

The last time I saw a Green Pacific at the Bird store it was $199 - the mutations are much higher.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yes, I believe it was there about two months ago, when I was last there. At that time I didn't know anything about P'lets, and thought it was a type of Lovebird. It was out were anyone could handle it.

Pado-
The website is rather new. You can sign up for their specials by e-mail.
Thanks Linda Lee - I was thinking it must be pretty new - thats great they finally have one :)

I checked them before I emailed the Parrotlet Ranch - that would have been the beginning of March - they had just sold the last one a few days before I went in - it might have been the one you saw :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Pado and Linda Lee, us all being in the same area could work out well for babysitting during vacations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just noticed I started the 100th thread in the introductions forum.

I'm honored.

Do I get a free bird? :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum:)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thanks Pado, I just got off the phone with the bird shop in Sacramento. They do have a parrotlet in stock, it would be interesting to see it, we have not yet seen one in action. (They are at http://www.thebirdshoponline.com/)

Santa Cruz is a very reasonable trip to get one, going to have it for a long time!

Mattz - did you get that bird at the bird shop? - I was there on Saturday getting supplies and they had no Parrotlets left - I was hoping you were the one that picked up the last one.

well? :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts