Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Karen. I am owned by my parrotlet, Bean. Bean is a 5 year old Pacific male. We have been having fun making movies and sharing them on youtube. I am married with twin 19 year old sons.

I also have Bean's brother, Sprout. Sprout has been plucking his feathers for the last 4 years so he is not that presentable these days. We tried everything to get him to stop but it seems he just likes to be that way. Happily for Sprout, he gets to share a room with my husband's cocatiel, Rooster. Rooster and Sprout get along and now Sprout can mimick a cocatiel with expert precision. Btw, Rooster is a female. We know this because she has laid eggs for us. Rooster is 12.

I can only spend a limited amount of time on the computer because of injuries to my hands so I may take longer to respond than most.
This looks like a fun place to share and learn about parrotlets.

I posted a picture of bean in our Christmas tree. He wishes everybody a Merry Christmas.

Karen

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Thanks Dave,

I was wondering how people are getting their pictures down to the right file size for posting. All my pictures are rather large files and even when I try to make them smaller, I can't seem to get them smaller than 50k without losing quality.
:confused:
Karen

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!
I knew somone on another forum for parrotlets years ago with a plet named Bean. Then I bought a pair of brothers and thought of bean sprout, both small and green. I got them months after my parrotlet Opus died. I named opus after the penguin character in Bloom County cartoon.

Hey Merry Christmas!!

Karen

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Karen WELCOME oh my gosh Bean is here, I think he's so smart! I've been gone on holiday and I just got back last night. I'm excited to read everyones posts. I hope your hands are O.k.? You have such a sweet little bird and what impressed me the most was how sweet you talked to him. He has a good life I know. This is a nice forum I really enjoy the people here...kind hearted. Welcome Karen and little Bean!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Memmey!
Welcome back. It's funny how you enjoy hearing me talk to bean. I hate hearing my own voice, LOL! I was so impressed when I read the posts about the other parrotlets who are talking. I want to encourage Bean so I babble at him constantly. My sons think I am a nut. In a good way I hope.
:)
Karen

·
Registered
794 Posts
My one and only son likewise thinks me strange sometimes,Ha..About the talking Bitsey Jo calls me with cherping but not words and mumbling at night when I put her by my bed. She manages to control me without words. I wonder are Bean's wings clipped ? B.Jo's are not and I feel nervous when she out, she will spook sometimes. I'm so afraid of her injuring herself. Also Karen what is all in Bean's cage, what do you put to keep him busy? When I introduce a toy it takes forever seriously forever but I noticed in your video Bean seems to have fresh stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bean sometimes gives new toys the 'hairy eyeball' but lately, I've been giving him toys that he likes right away. His wings are clipped. He has flown around the house and crashed into the glass doors so we have to keep him clipped. I do the clipping and nail trimming. He is pretty good at letting me do it. Sometimes I do the clipping with him cradled in a wash rag so that he can bite it and not me!

Bean has lots of booda perches and a nail trimming perch. He has a woven finch nest that he loves to dismantle. I buy him shredders and weave them into the bars so that he can chew them up. He will also shred Kleenex if I weave it through the bars. He loves to shred toys made with bamboo pieces and loves string and paper. When I trim my apple tree, he gets fresh twigs to chew up or perch on and I give him stuff from my garden. I grow lavender and he loves bunches of it. I can make him a bouquet of carrot tops and lavender and put it in his cage wet. First he takes a bath in it and then, after it dries, he chews it up. He has a mineral block and cuttlebone. He has a water bottle to drink from and food dishes with seeds, pellets and a treat cup/perch by his door where I put things from the dinner table that he can eat. I make birdie bread and it is a crazy recipe. Basically, you make corn bread and add bird seed and egg shell. Cut it into little squares and freeze it for later use. I am sure a google search 'birdie bread' will come up with a good recipe.

I am going out to dinner with my husband, sons and dates tonight to Chez Panisse!
later all,
Karen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts