Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my first parrotlet for Christmas. Her name is Faith, She sings and tweets , but when I walk up to her cage she turns her back to me and when I try to get her out she acts like she does not wants to. Yes I have a cat and dog. But my dog will not do anything. But my cat will go outside when I get her out. What do I need to do please help

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new bird! Bonding with Faith will take time and patience is the key virtue. She's in a new place with new people and she has to learn that everything is safe. Get some spray millet and hold it up to the outside of the cage so she can eat it through the bars while you hold it. Once she's comfortable with this try holding the millet inside the cage and see if she will approach. Don't push, let her come to you. From there you can hold your finger like it's an extension of a perch and have her step onto your finger/hand while you're holding the millet so she can eat it while she's on your hand. Do this often and eventually you'll be able to have her step up onto your finger and you can then take her out of her cage in a safe area.

Make sure the cage is in a place that's somewhat separate from the cat and the dog. Even if they don't harm her, their presence can cause stress, especially when she's getting settled. Make sure one or two sides of the cage are up against a wall to create a feeling of safety.

Spend sometime just sitting by the cage and talk to her. Play some relaxing music. Remember that she's a tiny prey species in foreign environment so you'll have to take baby steps to win her trust.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The advice you got so far is good! It takes a lot of time to get the trust from Faith. She is a dwarf parrot and has a natural fear of human hands. As you bond with her, she will start to trust you, but for right now, she is just a baby. If there is one thing you must know, then it is this...Be Patient with Faith! She will start to trust you on her terms. In everything you try to do with Faith, remember that you must be patient!

Now, since you are a new bird owner, I want you to understand that having a dog and a cat living in the same house is a very dangerous thing. It can be done, but too many times I have read in this forum and other forums where the bird was killed by mostly cats! They are natural enemies. I have heard people tell me that they are very careful and will keep an extra eye out for the other pets, only to have the bird die a horrible death. I know I am a little strong with my words, but I have raised birds most of my 68 years on this earth. I know you will be careful, but please be real, real, real careful. I know you can do it!

Also, do not think that the cage will protect your bird. Birds can easily get spooked to where they fly away to the other side of their cage and smash against the cage bars. This breaks their necks. So, again, be careful. You have to make sure all people must obey your rules of safety!

I am glad you read this forum. We are all experienced bird owners and we have a lot of experiences to share with you! You asked for help and we will give it to you. Ask us about food, treats, toys, etc.. We are here for you.

David and Vicki

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you everyone. Ian going to find my cat a new home. I think my faith and I are make some progress. Tonight she is setting in my hair.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you're making fast progress. I recommend browsing the archives of this forum for helpful tips on further training/bonding advice, cage set up, diet info and health stuff to watch out for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts