Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time bird owner and I just was hoping I could get some advice from you experienced parrotlet owners. It will be very much appreciated.

I got Lily a huge cage (it's about 3 feet tall and 3 foot wide, it was the biggest that I could find at the store with 1/2 bar spacing, everything else was much more spacing) and a bunch of toys.

I just ordered her 2 things on ebay as well, that coconut swing that Sally recommended and a wood perch.

I would like to give her some nice light during the day, but I really would like to know what would be the best. I can put her in front of the window, but I am in NJ and it is getting cold already, so I can't leave the window open, because it will be way too cold for her. Can I just put a normal lamp by her or is there a special lamp like a heat lamp for birds? If there is a lamp like this, can someone possibly link me to one online?

Also, she will not eat anything except for millet and seeds. She LOVES millet. I know to keep trying, but should I take away her millet and seeds and just leave her food in there? I just got her the Beak Appetit Caribbean Crunch. I am a dog owner and when they don't like something good for them, you just give them it until they eat it, because they def. will if they don't get junk. Is it that way for birds or do I have to try a different approach? I just made the Caribbean Crunch for her tomorrow morning, so I would really appreciate any opinions before then. Otherwise, I will just have to put seed in there and she probably won't touch the Beak Appetit I made.

Also, just a side note that I think is really funny. I have 2 dogs and the new cage that I got for Lily is on a stand that is about the same height as the dogs standing on their back legs. Anyway, Lily has decided that she loves one of my dogs, but hates the other. She goes to my one dog when she comes to the cage and she tries to bite the other one through the cage. She has done it a few times and she really does not like my one dog, but seems to really like the other. (This is all through the cage, not where they can really get to each other)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I homecook for my dog. I think meals are too important and fun for them to make them eat if they do not love the food. I love to make them happy, we only have them for 15 years or so if we are lucky.

With Chipper, she only wanted seed. They need to eat, they have high energy, so I kept her seed in but added the various other foods. She started to eat fruits, veggies, cooked veggies, beak apetites and breads and cookies (for birds). She adores whole wheat pasta too. I just offered and over time, she turned into a wonderful eater. She loves celery now more than ever.

Glad you got a coconut swing. It is fun to put birdie bread or veggies in.

I have a Feather Brite light. No heat lamp. She loves her light and I turn it on when I uncover her for a couple of hours. Not all day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sally. I agree to an extent that dogs should love what they are eating. I wasn't saying that I make my dogs eat horrible food, I was just trying to say that if you want a dog to eat something, you can't feed treats all of the time, because then it will never eat what you want it to.

For example, my mother's cairn terrier refuses to eat anything but the moist and meaty dog food(a horrible, horrible food). My mom refuses to make her go hungry for a day though to get her to try something else.

I home-cook for my dogs even though I work, go to school and take care of a big house and my sick father all by myself, so obviously I agree with you on how important it is to feed a healthy, nutritious, and (hopefully) a very much enjoyed meal.

I just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right tract with cage and toys. Just keep trying other foods. Millet must be a "parrotlet thing" . They all seem to love it! I give it to Paulie as a treat almost every day. He is good to try other foods, even if it's only a few bites. Just keep offering the new stuff. Paulie loves sweet potatoes and butternut squash...have you tried those??

·
Registered
514 Posts
One thing to try might be baking birdie bread -- mixing seed in, then sprinkling seed on top before baking it. I read on one of the forums when Bitsy was new that by putting the seed in and on top - they at least get a taste of other things if they pick out the seeds. Worked for us, as well as continuing to put new foods in the cage for Bitsy Blue to try. One other suggestion - some parrotlets like their food chopped really fine. I put 2 or 3 things in a small food processor and chop it very fine. Not pureed, but little pieces. Bitsy eats fruits and veggies much more readily when they are prepared that way.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If you do decide to keep her by the window just make sure there is no draft that comes through the window and also that the cage is never in direct sun light and you should be fine :) - I keep mine by a shaded window, only 1/2 of the cage is in front of the window in case they don't feel secure they can move to the other side of the cage - the windows are double paned windows and there is no draft.

Some birds don't like to be by a window as they feel insecure and this can cause them stress. Watch to see how your bird reacts.

There are the full spectrum lighting systems available but these are used more to supply your bird with Vitamin D and not so much as a light source - although there is a growing belief that full spectrum lighting may be more harmful than good - http://users.mis.net/~pthrush/lighting/hotspots.html - I suggest you investigate the proper way to use these before using one. I was using mine incorrectly and had problems - I threw my bird off balance - I was also using it shining into the cage from the side and you must only use it from above at a certain distance etc and only for a certain amount of time each day as Sally mentioned.

I was told I could have caused my bird vision problems because of using it shining into the cage sideways - luckily I only did this for a short time. I've since stopped using it.

Thats funny about your P'let preferring one of your dogs over the other :) . My male for a spell did not like my dog in the room when he was out of his cage and would go to the floor to chase him out - he's grown out of this now for some reason - I was intervening but I don't really think that did it I believe he just grew out of it or it was a breeding season response or something - but now he doesn't pay any attention to my dog - Weird - :confused: :p

If it happens again next season I'll know it probably is breeding/season related.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Jullian, I got your private message about your homecooking too. :) That is great. Would be great if you mom did too, or has she done that? So many awful dog foods out there. I have just heard people buy junky dog food and then make the dog eat it! Many dogs died from the recall foods that they didn't even want to eat. So sad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts