Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am a first-time mom of a couple of pacific parrotlets. It is also the first time I have a female bird. I used to have a budgie he lived for six and a half years, lost him in a terrible home accident. May he rest in peace. Maya a Cobalt female and Blue is a blue male. We welcomed Maya when Blue was living with us for 3 months. Blue is a true gentleman on the other hand Maya is a true chaos. She bits a lot, hates scratches and terrorize the house. She ruined so many t-shirts even our dining table. As the time pass Blue's head feathers start to disappear. Now most of his precious blue color is gone. Although Maya and Blue are getting along people said Maya was the reason for Blue's feather loss and they advice me to put a nest. Maya laid 3 eggs even she turned 1 only a few days ago. Unfortunately eggs did not survive neither the problem of Blue's feather is solved. He is happy his eating, playing behaviors are normal.

I am just lost and very sad about it. What should I do? I am kindly asking for your help. Thank you! 馃檹

PS. Sorry for my language. English is not my first language. 馃檪

african grey Bird Beak Feather Parrot

Super Moderator
Hi there. I wish I was welcoming you to the forum in a happier circumstance for you. I am sorry to hear of your struggles with Maya and Blue. Are they caged together? My sense is that Maya is plucking/attacking him at times when you鈥檙e not seeing it. It cannot be him (some birds pluck their own feathers) because it is happening to his head and he could not reach it. If I was you, I would separate them immediately and see if the situation resolves. They can be out together but only when supervised. Parrotlets don鈥檛 always live well together and there have been stories from forum members on injury and even death inflicted by one Parrotlet on another.

Blue definitely doesn鈥檛 look normal from that photo and you should take him to see an avian vet to see if there is something going on. Birds are very good at hiding illness and they are usually very sick by the time they are showing it. Just because he鈥檚 eating does not mean he is not sick.

Please keep us posted. You are right to be concerned about this and I am glad you reached out to us.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. I wish I was welcoming you to the forum in a happier circumstance for you. I am sorry to hear of your struggles with Maya and Blue. Are they caged together? My sense is that Maya is plucking/attacking him at times when you鈥檙e not seeing it. It cannot be him (some birds pluck their own feathers) because it is happening to his head and he could not reach it. If I was you, I would separate them immediately and see if the situation resolves. They can be out together but only when supervised. Parrotlets don鈥檛 always live well together and there have been stories from forum members on injury and even death inflicted by one Parrotlet on another.

Blue definitely doesn鈥檛 look normal from that photo and you should take him to see an avian vet to see if there is something going on. Birds are very good at hiding illness and they are usually very sick by the time they are showing it. Just because he鈥檚 eating does not mean he is not sick.

Please keep us posted. You are right to be concerned about this and I am glad you reached out to us.
OMG! Thank you so much for your reply. In my country, unfortunately there is no avian vets. Sadly, vets are more in to cats and dogs. I will try my best to find a good vet. Blue and Maya are caged together. I will separate them but they tend to sleep together. I hope Blue will have his feathers back soon. What nutrient should I give him for this progress?

Super Moderator
What is Blue鈥檚 diet right now? Does he eat a variety of foods including veggies and fruit? Another question - have you ever seen Maya attack him? If they usually sleep together, you can keep their cages close together at night. You just don鈥檛 want her accessing him until you are sure she鈥檚 not hurting him.

Administrator
Hello and welcome to the site. Looks to me like Maya is barbering Blue's feathers. I think I agree and would go with separate cage time with maybe supervised play time with attention to what Maya is doing and if she is chewing up Blue's feathers. I suspect Maya is doing during rest time when she is bored.

As for Maya aggression. How much dark / sleep time are they getting. Parrotlets, especially females need 12 or more down / sleep time otherwise they can get hormonal, broody, etc. So go for at least 12 hours maybe 13 for the time being.

I disagree about the nest unless you are looking for baby birds. once she is off any eggs I would remove the nest and keep her away from nesting situations. That tends to be the females territorial.

Just some thoughts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and welcome to the site. Looks to me like Maya is barbering Blue's feathers. I think I agree and would go with separate cage time with maybe supervised play time with attention to what Maya is doing and if she is chewing up Blue's feathers. I suspect Maya is doing during rest time when she is bored.

As for Maya aggression. How much dark / sleep time are they getting. Parrotlets, especially females need 12 or more down / sleep time otherwise they can get hormonal, broody, etc. So go for at least 12 hours maybe 13 for the time being.

I disagree about the nest unless you are looking for baby birds. once she is off any eggs I would remove the nest and keep her away from nesting situations. That tends to be the females territorial.

Just some thoughts.
Hello, first of all thank you for your reply. Maya usually gets her 12 hour beauty sleep. I don't disturb her to wake up. Right now, Maya is very possessive of the cage and the nest. She barely gets out even the cage door is open. Also she tends to hold her toilet. Should I remove the nest? Her belly is puff but I don't think she is going to lay more eggs.
Can birds have false pregnancies?

As for the barbering, It is clear that Maya is attacking on Blue. Today they had a big fight I separated them immediately. She attacked on Blue's head. Blue bit her feet. They are just unbeilable. Right after their big fight, they slept, scratched each together.

I separated their cage in half so they can see each other. I did not want to separate them right away. Don't want to piss Maya. I am planning to buy a new cage if this works.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is Blue鈥檚 diet right now? Does he eat a variety of foods including veggies and fruit? Another question - have you ever seen Maya attack him? If they usually sleep together, you can keep their cages close together at night. You just don鈥檛 want her accessing him until you are sure she鈥檚 not hurting him.
Hiii!

Blue is a very picky eater and very skinny only 28 grams. He doesn't like fruits or veggies. I am giving him mix seeds (hemp,sunflower,millets). Sometimes he eats beets and carrot. He is a huge fan of lemon and pomegranate seeds. He eats hard boiled eggs every day. That's all unfortunately. He hates berries and sometimes he just chew and throw apple and quince.

Thankfully, Maya is the right opposite she is 42 grams and doesn't pick any food.

I am 100% sure that Maya attacks him. They had a big fight today. Her feet got bit by Blue. Blue lost some feathers. Also, I saw Maya plugging his feather when she was scratching him in peace. I don't know how to stop her to scratch Blue but I separated their cages. By the way I saw Maya lost some of her head feathers also.

I am just trying to do my best for both.

Super Moderator
42 grams?! That is very big for a parrotlet! Tumi's vet called him overweight at 32 grams and put him on a diet. Especially with that big of a size difference, being separated is important. Otherwise Blue has no chance against Maya. They can be out together if they are supervised, that way you can separate them if one attacks, but other than that they should be kept out of beak-range of each other.

Super Moderator
Hiii!

Blue is a very picky eater and very skinny only 28 grams. He doesn't like fruits or veggies. I am giving him mix seeds (hemp,sunflower,millets). Sometimes he eats beets and carrot. He is a huge fan of lemon and pomegranate seeds. He eats hard boiled eggs every day. That's all unfortunately. He hates berries and sometimes he just chew and throw apple and quince.

Thankfully, Maya is the right opposite she is 42 grams and doesn't pick any food.

I am 100% sure that Maya attacks him. They had a big fight today. Her feet got bit by Blue. Blue lost some feathers. Also, I saw Maya plugging his feather when she was scratching him in peace. I don't know how to stop her to scratch Blue but I separated their cages. By the way I saw Maya lost some of her head feathers also.

I am just trying to do my best for both.
Hi again. I am very glad to hear you have separated them - it is clearly a dangerous situation. For now, keep them separated unless you are there to make sure you can separate them if ANY aggression starts. I would watch them both to see who usually starts the aggression and what signs you can learn so you can anticipate when they are about to be aggressive with each other. There will likely be some little signs so you know things are about to get aggressive and you can put them back in their own cages before it starts. This may help to break the cycle. Also, remove them both from their cages if you are allowing them to be together. Parrotlets can be very territorial and if Maya has eggs, that could be even worse.

As for Maya鈥檚 weight, that is indeed very heavy for a Parrotlet. Very heavy. It may be contributing to her violent behaviour. I assume she is a good eater if she鈥檚 that big so you should slowly cut down on high fat foods like seeds and nuts. We didn鈥檛 really focus on her diet - can you tell me what she eats? Then we can help you adjust her diet to allow her to lose weight but keep her healthy.

Blue is at the lower end of the weight spectrum but he鈥檚 fine for weight. His diet sounds fine - they can be very picky eaters. If you want to try to get him to try different foods, try different ways of offering it - raw or cooked, whole or mashed or chopped into small pieces, in his cage or when he is out with you. Sometimes it is just finding the way he likes to eat it that will encourage him to try. Kiwi, for example, will only eat lettuce if she is sitting on my hand. She will ignore it in her dish and if I give it to her through the bars of her cage, she just throws it to the ground. When she is sitting on my hand, she will eat the whole piece. I honestly have never heard of a bird eating lemon or pomegranate seeds. I did a quick search and it seems they are not toxic, so it was something new for me to learn.

If you are able to find a vet, that would be great for both of them. I can see how hard you are trying to give them a happy, healthy life and they are very lucky to have you. Keep an eye on blue to see if his feathers return to normal over the next little while and make sure you are preventing this aggression between them. It may be that they will always have to live apart and only be allowed supervised visits. It is just the nature of these little guys.

Keep us posted!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again. I am very glad to hear you have separated them - it is clearly a dangerous situation. For now, keep them separated unless you are there to make sure you can separate them if ANY aggression starts. I would watch them both to see who usually starts the aggression and what signs you can learn so you can anticipate when they are about to be aggressive with each other. There will likely be some little signs so you know things are about to get aggressive and you can put them back in their own cages before it starts. This may help to break the cycle. Also, remove them both from their cages if you are allowing them to be together. Parrotlets can be very territorial and if Maya has eggs, that could be even worse.

As for Maya鈥檚 weight, that is indeed very heavy for a Parrotlet. Very heavy. It may be contributing to her violent behaviour. I assume she is a good eater if she鈥檚 that big so you should slowly cut down on high fat foods like seeds and nuts. We didn鈥檛 really focus on her diet - can you tell me what she eats? Then we can help you adjust her diet to allow her to lose weight but keep her healthy.

Blue is at the lower end of the weight spectrum but he鈥檚 fine for weight. His diet sounds fine - they can be very picky eaters. If you want to try to get him to try different foods, try different ways of offering it - raw or cooked, whole or mashed or chopped into small pieces, in his cage or when he is out with you. Sometimes it is just finding the way he likes to eat it that will encourage him to try. Kiwi, for example, will only eat lettuce if she is sitting on my hand. She will ignore it in her dish and if I give it to her through the bars of her cage, she just throws it to the ground. When she is sitting on my hand, she will eat the whole piece. I honestly have never heard of a bird eating lemon or pomegranate seeds. I did a quick search and it seems they are not toxic, so it was something new for me to learn.

If you are able to find a vet, that would be great for both of them. I can see how hard you are trying to give them a happy, healthy life and they are very lucky to have you. Keep an eye on blue to see if his feathers return to normal over the next little while and make sure you are preventing this aggression between them. It may be that they will always have to live apart and only be allowed supervised visits. It is just the nature of these little guys.

Keep us posted!
Hi, again!

Thank you so much for your attention. Maya has exactly the same diet as Blue. They usually get mad at each other for no reason. We always treat them equally. Blue's feather are coming back!!! 馃拑

By the way there is a big plot twist. Maya laid another egg. It is a very tiny egg so I don't think that it will survive. I don't know how to stop her. Should I remove the nest? She is very young to be a mom, take care of the little one . So any, suggestions?

Bird Eye Leg Beak Grey

sleepy Maya&Blue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
42 grams?! That is very big for a parrotlet! Tumi's vet called him overweight at 32 grams and put him on a diet. Especially with that big of a size difference, being separated is important. Otherwise Blue has no chance against Maya. They can be out together if they are supervised, that way you can separate them if one attacks, but other than that they should be kept out of beak-range of each other.

OMG! I didn't know that. I will totally check her weight and help her to lose some. I just thought that she was a chubby bunny. She usually is around 38-40 grams but when she start to lay eggs she became heavier. You are so right! Blue is very tiny next to her.

Do you remember what Tumi's diet was? Can you give me some advice, please?

Thank you so much for your reply 馃尭

Super Moderator
Tumi eats Tops pellets and Nutriberries, as well as lots of vegetables. I don't know if either of those products are available in your country. I focus on vegetables, grains (which I sprout), and leafy greens as the supplements to his base diet.

Super Moderator
Hi, again!

Thank you so much for your attention. Maya has exactly the same diet as Blue. They usually get mad at each other for no reason. We always treat them equally. Blue's feather are coming back!!! 馃拑

By the way there is a big plot twist. Maya laid another egg. It is a very tiny egg so I don't think that it will survive. I don't know how to stop her. Should I remove the nest? She is very young to be a mom, take care of the little one . So any, suggestions?
My best advice to you is to remember they are wild birds and not human. They are not 鈥渕ad鈥 at each other, they鈥檙e probably protecting their territory. Parrotlets are very territorial. They are acting on instinct and not reason, so they will not understand if you are treating them the same way. They are not comparing each other the way humans do. Maya may also be protecting her eggs. They are also probably hormonal if Maya is laying eggs so that can make them more aggressive.

Unless you are planning to breed, which is not a decision to take lightly, you will want to discourage egg laying. She already has eggs so you will need to let her sit on them for a bit to avoid stressing her. Others here will have better advice for you on dealing with unfertilized eggs - it isn鈥檛 something I have had to deal with. However, her nest should be removed once you have managed to remove her eggs and she should not have any shredding materials which may encourage her to lay. Females can have serious problems with eggs getting stuck (called egg binding) and you want to avoid this at all costs.

Getting Maya鈥檚 weight in check may also help with the hormonal/aggressive behaviour. Other members have suggested that high fat foods (seeds and nuts) can increase hormonal activity so it may be that reducing those foods will calm her. Reduce them gradually, though. She still needs her calories and fat, just less than what she currently has. My bird Kiwi eats a lot of things I eat (that are healthy and safe for birds) including small pieces of baked chicken, baked salmon, pasta, oatmeal and plain popcorn, in addition to fruits and veggies. Try some of these things as you wean her off the fatter seeds.

I am glad to see Blue is looking a little better. Give it some time still, and watch for that aggressive behaviour. You may be able to start understanding the circumstances that cause the aggression in some cases and be able to avoid it starting in the first place.

Administrator
Hi, again!

View attachment 47885

sleepy Maya&Blue
Below are some links about minimizing egg laying.

Reactions: ginziputzi

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Below are some links about minimizing egg laying.

Thank you so much! 鈽

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My best advice to you is to remember they are wild birds and not human. They are not 鈥渕ad鈥 at each other, they鈥檙e probably protecting their territory. Parrotlets are very territorial. They are acting on instinct and not reason, so they will not understand if you are treating them the same way. They are not comparing each other the way humans do. Maya may also be protecting her eggs. They are also probably hormonal if Maya is laying eggs so that can make them more aggressive.

Unless you are planning to breed, which is not a decision to take lightly, you will want to discourage egg laying. She already has eggs so you will need to let her sit on them for a bit to avoid stressing her. Others here will have better advice for you on dealing with unfertilized eggs - it isn鈥檛 something I have had to deal with. However, her nest should be removed once you have managed to remove her eggs and she should not have any shredding materials which may encourage her to lay. Females can have serious problems with eggs getting stuck (called egg binding) and you want to avoid this at all costs.

Getting Maya鈥檚 weight in check may also help with the hormonal/aggressive behaviour. Other members have suggested that high fat foods (seeds and nuts) can increase hormonal activity so it may be that reducing those foods will calm her. Reduce them gradually, though. She still needs her calories and fat, just less than what she currently has. My bird Kiwi eats a lot of things I eat (that are healthy and safe for birds) including small pieces of baked chicken, baked salmon, pasta, oatmeal and plain popcorn, in addition to fruits and veggies. Try some of these things as you wean her off the fatter seeds.

I am glad to see Blue is looking a little better. Give it some time still, and watch for that aggressive behaviour. You may be able to start understanding the circumstances that cause the aggression in some cases and be able to avoid it starting in the first place.

Hello 馃憢

I understand that one of the main reasons of aggression is definitely coming from living together. After separation of the cage, Blue's feather are a lot more better. His color is coming back. I am definitely buying them a new cage.

Maya, on the other hand laid 3 eggs. She is very aggressive around Blue when he is near the cage. Currently she is sitting on them but she looks very exhausted. I don't want her to lay any eggs so I will remove her nest. I didn't change her diet right now but I will when this egg situation ends. She was 38-40 grams before egg laying.

Thank you so much for all your help 馃拹

Super Moderator
I am so glad to hear Blue is recovering his feathers and colour. We always think of birds (and most animals) as being happier together, but it isn鈥檛 always the case. I am glad you have at least figured out the problem and are able to get them into separate living quarters.

Maya is definitely the more troublesome right now. From other posts, I understand that you should get some fake eggs and exchange them when she is not on her nest. Apparently she will get tired of sitting on them and that is the time to remove the nest. Make sure to have a read of the post Ozzie linked above on how to minimize egg laying in the future. Eggs can get stuck sometimes (called egg binding) and you have had enough difficulty with them - you don鈥檛 want this too!!

I agree entirely that you can address Maya鈥檚 weight after you have gotten them settled into different cages and once you have resolved Maya laying. One thing at a time.

Keep us posted

Super Moderator
Whaaaaaatt??? One of her eggs actually hatched?? Wow. Congratulations鈥nd yikes! I have never had a newborn so I would have no clue what to do. Do you have anyone you can consult with? Wow! That鈥檚 a shocking/exciting/scary development! Did you see it hatch? If one hatched, there may be more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts