Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a newbie, just thought i'd say hi and also like to mention that i've never kept a parrot, but im thinking about getting a parrotlet, just wanted to know what are they like as pets and just want some general feedback about them, is there any beginner info on this site for newbie owners? thanks saj!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
To be honest I personally don't think Parrotlets are the best first bird. Hand fed P'lets are super sweet and cuddly when young. When they mature and their hormones kick in they can be at times a handful. They can be very stubborn headstrong birds and can be difficult to control and handle at times. They are more likened to the Amazon in personality.

With all that being said if you do a lot of research on them (not just the babies but as they mature) and you house, feed and meet all their needs they can be the best companions.

Take some time and read through as much of the posts on the site as you can - you will get a good feel for this bird and will also see some issues they have and how to deal with those.

Good luck - and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, so what would you advise to get as a first bird? i also been thinking of a green check conure or a senegel!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Saj - I don't have any experience with the green cheek so I can't comment on that.

The Senegal is a wonderful companion but again I'm not so sure they are suited as a first bird. It really all depends on your experience and lifestyle. The Senegal although touted on the internet as "Quiet Birds" are not at all quiet birds IMO - they are quite vocal and have a very shrill voice. They also bond VERY heavily to ONE person in the house - and THEY will pick who that person is - once they attach to that person - from what I found it is next to impossible to convince them otherwise and they will not tolerate anybody else near them -
This prevents a problem when you have to go on vacation or a business trip - the Senegal can stop eating under these conditions by pining for you. Although unlike most of the other larger/medium species they do know how to entertain themselves.

I suggest if you've never had any birds before - a Cockatiel or a Parakeet might be more suitable. I know some people hate when these two species are always picked as a "first bird" but they really are easier for the beginner to care for in comparison to the other species - and a tame Cockatiel rarely bites. Again I would look for a tame bird one what will come to you readily and not back away from you. You see in the Pet stores these birds listed as Hand fed and tame but they really are not - A tame bird will not back away from you but will come forward and step onto your finger willingly - don't let a Pet Store clerk tell you otherwise.

But wait for others to chime in and give their opinions also - :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I recommend a budgie (parakeet) more so than a cockatiel. Cockatiels have the night frights (at least mine did) and they are so dusty.

Budgies are very hardy birds and can be easily trained. They are intelligent and plus (I hate to say that) cheap to get. Their life spans are not that long though, they mostly live 6-15 years. Parakeets do require the same amount of care as other birds, but they are not prone to feather plucking. They also are one of the best talkers out there, in fact they often "battle" the african grays and quaker parrots for best speaking ability. Smart birds and great personalities... it's just I don't like their vocalizations. . .

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Depends on noise you want. My Parrotlet is a doll and very quiet. That is VERY important to me. I do not like noise from Budgies, conures, Lovebirds etc. Most birds can be very loud.

For an apartment, a parrotlet it great. You do have to learn to deal with the strong personality they have. I happen to love the way they are. They are adorable and strong. Can be nippy too. I have helped my little birdie, Chipper be a fantastic bird. Takes some work and their needs have to be met.

I would pick a Parrotlet again for sure. Noise level and size is imporatant to me. She doesn't destroy things like some parrots do, easy to take someplace, etc. Chipper is SO playful and I love to watch the way she plays on her playgyms, toys etc.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Glad to see that you took my advice from the other forum :)
Obviously you are definately willing to do research and learn.

Along witht the others, I don't reccomend a parrotlet as a first bird. I would reccomend a cockatiel, or parakeet.
(i've never had a parakeet though.)

Cockatiels are very sweet, nice, and happy birds. They are very easy to take care of.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
saj1985,

We were considering green cheeks, they make pretty good first bird pets if you don't want to go the budgie, cockatiel route. Parrotlets have tons of personality but this also makes them a bit more difficult to keep (think bites that break your skin AFTER you thought they were tame).

I would suggest researching a quiet conure species or a senigal as potential first pets. If you are up for a rewarding challange, consider a parrotlet but it will require more time and effort.

If you do consider a parrotlet, females are calmer than males but males, while more temperamental, can be taught to speak.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've had up to 5 parakeets ... now down to 3 and 1 parrotlet. I love the budgies and I love hearing them sing. If you get a young parakeet, preferably from a breeder or a store with a solid reputation. While they are inexpensive, they need the same diligence as other birds. Ensure that they have a balanced diet and always clean water. The one thing that parakeets are known for are tumors. I had a 16 year old with a tumor that eventually stopped him from flying but he was a climber and we put ladders everywhere. The younger birds always got on the ground to play with him. He was truly a majestic bird and lived well with the disability from the tumor and he died peacefully in my sons hands one morning. I had a little female who lived 12 years and she was a beauty. They were both solid yellow budgies...I swear they are the hardiest. I have had budgies since I was young. Kiwi is my first parrotlet and her demands on my time are much more than the budgies. She is strong willed but a loving little bird. It all depends on the time you have each day to devote to your bird and how much handling of a bird that you want to commit to. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies for a start. I can get a parrotlet, budgie (parakeet) and a green cheek conure from breeders with very good reputations, and all of them will be hand reared, i want to know if the budgies are loud, if so you think i'll get away with it in a flat? With a green check conure, i'm also worried about the noise levels, cockatiel i can't get because i'm asthmatic! parrotlet, seems quiet ideal for my situation, that is what i was thinking, but maybe my thinkings wrong lol!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you're thinking of 1 or 2 budgies, the noise level is fine. when I had the 5, I must admit it was surround sound with all the chatter but I enjoyed it. If you're looking to have the parakeet spend time with you, you may want to begin with one or possibly two young ones that you work with together. However, budgies flock together and tend to ignore the human flock if they have each other. I can say that if you spend time with them, they will come to you and enjoy the interaction. I had a wonderful little girl who thought we were her playground. There were specific sweaters or hoodies that she loved and would tunnel through them. She would start at the collar or wrist and climb through the clothing. Too funny. She was a doll and missed terribly. One of my three is mr social..he will fly over to my shoulder to visit and is just a sweetheart. so, it really centers around the time commitment you have to one or two birds.

Art is right on with the parrotlet taking more time and effort. They demand more attention...at least my Kiwi is more demanding of my time than the parakeets.

Regarding noise level for conures, I believe the green cheek is the most mildest as far as noise...avoid the Sun and Nanday for they are very loud. Hope this helps...let us know what you decide. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think it gonna be a green cheek conure or a parrotlet, well i seen this cage which is suitable for green cheek conure and a parrotlet, so i'll try and bid to win it, if i do then at least i can take my time to decide which one i want, because i think its not fair or right on any parrot if i rush in to get it and then decide its not the one for me, even though i'd love to hav one asap,! i think the frustrating part is that, because i personally don't know anyone with a conure or parrotlet, i can't get a feel for it, if u get me?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Saj - if you do decide on the Parrotlet and are worried about noise level - be sure to go with the female - they are much less vocal than the males. But keep in mind they are a lot more head strong when they mature than the Budgie. Good luck, let us know what you decide on..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's not fair for any bird, I agree with you; however, there are some birds that can take stress better than others.

One of the main reasons why I push for budgies is that they are EASY to take care of with little worries about feather plucking. They are hardy birds that can deal with many things and still come out very much intact.

Just remember, parrotlets live a LOT longer than a budgie... they also are a lot more sensitive to busy schedules. Assuming your birth year is 1985, you are a year younger than myself. This means you are either in college about to graduate, go to grad school, or about to start in the work force. You are going to be busy, I know I am, and it can get challenging to give all my birds the attention they deserve.

Just make sure to think beyond which bird you want, think about the time you have to give to them. I'm not trying to be rude, everyone has to start with one bird or another. I started off with cockatiels and budgies, then expanded onto quakers and parrotlets.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Catfish makes a very good point. When I'm busy and away from the house more, the budgies are fine and enjoy when I'm home but they have their own agenda for the most part. They also can be out of their cage all day since they have a tree in the family room that they run around in. They head to the cage for food/water.

The parrotlet cannot be out of her cage unattended at any time. Gets into way too much trouble. She depends on me to let her out on a regular basis and she requires more one-on-one time with me.

I'm glad that you're not rushing and it's hard when you don't know someone with birds that you can visit and spend some time.

good luck with your choice. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
no larger than 1/2 inch. Also go for width/length over excessive height. Birds fly horizontal and take off at an angle. Flight cages are always going to be appreciated by any bird.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts