Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! My names Steve and i'm a new proud owner of a 4yr. old rescure p'let named kiwi. I'm not too sure on all the details of what his lifestyle has been like for the past 4 years but when i went to the foster home to look at him i started to squeek very softley in his direction and he ran right up to me and started to squeek back. That night i was able to pet him through the bars of his cage but he does not like it when i would enter. he would just sit and watch my hand. but now he jumps and flutters away very quickly as soon as my hand even comes close to the outside of the cage. i'm just not sure of what might have happened in the p[ast threee weeks of him being in his new home that would suddenly make him rejct me. i'm not pushing him too much cause like i said berfore i'm not sure what he had gone through before i received him so i'm letting him relax and get used to the normal routine of my home. when iwork i keep calming music on for him and cover him at night change his water daily give him little treats just to show him i care about him and i'm not gonna eat him or anything ha ha. i understand birds can take time to trust you and i'm willing to wait but i was maybe thinking everyone could give me some insight on some steps to take to show him i care about him without overdoing it or spooking him. or maybe even why he all of a sudden starts jumping away from me instead of letting me scrach him like he did for a week and a half. thanks everybody!
-Steve

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Steve,

First off, welcome aboard! Thank you for adopting a rescue parrotlet!

One of the difficulties of adopting a rescue, or for that matter any older bird, is that it has a history that you do not know. It sounds like Kiwi is a sweet bird that will just take a little longer to become trusting of you. Do not be forceful in your attempts, but be persistant. Kiwi will come around.

One other thought, often Parrotlets can be flighty, ours were for at least the first 5 or 6 years. In fact, our boy Sparky has become a bit skittish since he pulled out his wing feathers and lost the ability to fly :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi Steve – I must have missed your original post –

How are things going now with Kiwi?

It mostly takes time and patience and they will come around when they begin to trust you. Him being friendly in the beginning is normal (some will be friendly and some will be terrified) but once they settle in and start to “own” their space and start becoming more at east they will start to assert themselves.

If you are gentle and don’t frighten him he will come to trust you. You already have a leg up with him being friendly in the beginning and letting your scratch him - he will probably come around pretty quickly.

Tell us the story of his rescue and post some pictures when you can –

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have had a rescued parrotlet since March of this year and she now adores me! She hated everyone at first and then I guess the stress of the move made her ill and she spent almost 2 weeks at the vet right after she arrived.
When she came back she slowly started coming around. She would still bite sometimes but I would take her out and let her explore my apartment while i would study or whatever.

This sounds kind of strange, but I would break off a piece of millet on a long stalk and put the stalk in my mouth and feed it to her that way (yeah yeah i know) and shortly after she started to trust me ...
Although now she only likes me and hates everyone else so I might have put ideas in her head. She's an odd duck.

But definitely the most rewarding pet experience I've ever had... so good luck to you! Tell us about how Kiwi is faring

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey everybody i haven't been around much lately because my computer broke and i forgot my password, etc, etc... but kiwi is doing great! he's really starting to come out of his shell! he reacts when i tell him to step up. he will actually willingly come to me....most of the time. he still will once and a while make me play "catch the birdie" if i have to run out to work or something. I just every once and a while lay my hand in his cage or put the food in from the inside so he gets used to my hands being aroun dnad he is strating to get the idea that we love him. but as far as the story goes all i know is that he is four years old and i've only had him a couple months and well whoever had him before didn't pay enough attention to him and so he started to pluck his chest and on his back between his wings. he actually had a bald spot almost the size of a quarter on his chest so i would just sit by the cage and play guitar and go on my computer with him there and i would evern open the cage and walk away so he can come out at his pace instead opf feeling like i'm after him. It's worked so far too because whenever i would open the cage he would fly straight to my head or shoulders when he decided to come out. I did however have to take down my picture frames because e like sitting hih up where i could get him when it's bedtime. But like i was saying he's getting a lot more trusting towards me and everyone else in my house actually and he no longer has his bald spot he is a big puff ball of grey down feathers and he looks really funny. he also got a bunch of really lightly shaded green feathers that have come out on his lower stomach so he's really coming along and he really must be happy with where he is now. Now all want to do is grab him a bgger cage and some ore toys and set up the kiwi playhouse!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thats GREAT Steve :) - I'm so glad to hear things are going so well. Sounds like Kiwi is trusting you. Playing the Guitar for him was a great idea. Keep us posted on how things progress - especially with the plucking - let us know it he lets his feathers grow in fully. Plucking is a hot topic and we all need to learn all we can.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Welcome! It sounds like things are going well! I hope you can get a large and wide cage. It is lots of fun to set up and the birds love it! Large cages can hold lots of fun toys, even larger ones. Nice rope perches too. I hope you will show some photos soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts