Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Probaly not posting because it wasnt really active these past days. Or probaly no topic that they wanted to reply to because it didnt need assistance. :)

Don't worry... I bet they will make a grand appearence in this thread :D ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I <3 Pado!!
I <3 Art!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
AAARRRTTTTT WHERE ARE YOU? Pado where's Art?????Dave where's Art?AAAAARRRRRRTTTTT!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Holy Cow :eek: - so much has been going on here since I last posted I'll never catch up although I don't think I'll try - I've been chiming in every once in a while but have not posted. Have been having some medical issues with my dog but he is fine now - its been a long and expensive week :eek:

Not sure if Art is lurking about but I'm still here - :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank goodness!!! If you don't mind me will need to know when you leave next time.....
P, Skeets meds cost me $90 a month, He still wags his tail and crys to be petted. He eats great and goes out the doggie door so I can't make the decision yet. He's feeble and blind but I just can't do it yet.
How is your dog doing? He's old too isn't he?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Memmey so glad to hear Skeet is doing so well .... sounds like he still has a quality of life, going in and out and getting about etc ... Yes, their meds can add up :eek: but they are sure worth every penny :)

My guy is old but not too old for his breed. He's a Rat Terrier and they tend to live into their mid to late teens. Hank's going on 13. He is diabetic and gets Vetsulin (Dog Insulin) twice a day - He's was also diagnosed a year ago with Cushing's disease but he has yet to show any of the symptoms.

Last week he started panting and shaking - had a hard time getting up or laying down - had absolutely no energy. He had to be carried outside to go to the bathroom. He was pretty bad off. We thought it was the Cushing's.

The Vet did every test under the sun it seemed - said it wasn't the Cushing's or his diabetes (although we had started him the day before this happened on a new bottle of Vetsulin and I had suspected that but the vet said his glucose was within the range it should be) ... he had countless blood tests - an x-ray etc - this went on for 6 days and he was getting no better and the vet still couldn't pin point the problem so he scheduled him for an ultrasound for the following Monday. Saturday I could not stand it any longer and called the vet for some pain medication - a stand in Vet made a morphine concoction - when I picked that up I got a new bottle of Vetsulin and within two hours of giving him the new Vetsulin he was up and moving about - within three hours he was running after his ball - the next day he was back to normal. The morphine was just for pain so we know it wasn't that that changed things - I know without a doubt the Vetsulin was the culprit but the Vet is saying its possible but it also could be a coincidence YEA RIGHT. The vet has the place they purchase the Vetsulin checking the bottle of Vetsulin.

I could kick myself for not following my gut and replacing the Vetsulin sooner - Poor Hank suffered an entire week and we spent $800 because of a bad bottle of Vetsulin. I'm pretty sure the Vet nor the Lab will own up to the Vetsulin being off but that remains to be seen.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my poor Hank. P, my sisters dog had Cushings and in the treatment for it he became Addisonian. I think she said that treating Cushings can give or make them have the Addison condition. I'm not sure of the particulars but it was a long a rough go for him and in the end she lost him.
You know no one really wants to admit error and if the meds were the problem for Hank you know no one will own up to that.
My vets are nice but they have no problem charging me $1 a pill. I just need a perscription at Walmart and he may quality for the generic there which will be much cheaper. They told me they do fill vet perscriptions. It's just getting them to write me one for there. You know it is always about the money. He is in the process of leaving this earth couldn't they make their money on the puppies and young animals and maybe cut some slack on the old old ones. Fat chance.
It's good to talk to you, now we just need Smart Art back.
Good luck with Mr. Hank and keep us posted. I guess the Peeper family are OK..LOL

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
no vet should have a problem writing a script. I work for a mone hungry B and she still writes scripts. There isn't a ton of money actually made from the meds, it's the services like surgery that make the money... plus the supplies and hospital care.

If anything, call around to a vet that will be willing to write scripts for you. Get a copy of your records (just say so you can keep a record at home just in case there is ever an emergency) take it with you to the vet. You will have to pay an office call, because it is illegal to prescribe meds to an animal unless there is a client patient relationship. You shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Catfish will I insult them to ask for a perscription? He's taking 80 mil. lasix and a heart pill. They made me bring him in for the first refill and it was so hard on him. I asked them if I could just give him the meds till....
The second Vet at the office said that it would be alright and I'm on my 3rd refill with about 3 days to go till it's gone. I've spent almost $500 and he's not gonna get well...too many birthdays.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm not one to worry about that. . . I do what is best for my family and myself. If they let one client hurt their feelings over medications.... well that vet has a few screws loose and you probably shouldn't be going there in the first place. That's my opinion.

None of the doctors I work with even care if they request a script. . .most of them know if they can get pills cheaper at walmart, adn if they can.... off to the computer to print the script. For us, and most of the vets around here... the MAJORITY of profit is hopsital care, boarding, supplies, and (the big money maker) surgeries. Pills are the low man on the totem pole at my job... we have them for convinence of the client.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wow a $1 a pill.... jeez we have minimum despensing fees here... and I'm sure the lasix and the heart pill (Most likely enecard/enalipril) can't be that expensive... ours are moderatley priced... But I'm pretty sure it's not $1 a pill. I'll look it up on Saturday when I'm work. I could be wrong.... it's 80mg Lasix right? I'll see how much we charge...

Seriously though. Don't worry about insulting them. I'm sure they understand, just do what is best for you and your babe.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
well I'm glad Pado is back :D

But I wonder where Art is.... maybe someone could e-mail him and make sure everything is okay????? :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts