Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I am finally a proud owner of a new baby! Her name is Mia and she is so sweet but has enough spunk to scare my sister hA! :) Nice to meet you all!:D Bird Picture frame Hand Beak Parrot

"Oo. what is this?"

P.s : She is my 2nd bird, I had a lovebird previously. Parrotlets are slightly different I realize, a little more difficult, she doesnt have a great appetite as I also only had her for maybe almost 2 weeks now, but she is coming along good, she steps and comes out of the cage w/ no fuss. She bites but doesnt bite hard but slowly is realizing it doesnt really work. Does anyone know what I can do to make her eat more? I have Beakapetit for her, she doesnt touch it. HmMmM she just loves her millet and picking out her seeds and throwing the rest on the ground. yup shes only a baby. imagine when shes a grown up. sigh lol :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
miacho,

Welcome aboard!

I'll let someone else give advice about feeding young birds, but since she likes millet, use it to begin training her.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
miacho I'd like to welcome you and Mia to the forum. Mia is VERY cute -

Sounds like you are off to a great start with her. Having her come out of her cage for you is a big big bonus :)

I'd say just keep offering her all kinds of different foods every day - I know this can be hard and disappointing to keep doing so when the are ignoring the food you want them to eat but just keep doing it because one day they will try it (especially younger birds) and once they try it they keep eating it.

Try cutting up some vegetables real small (Broccoli, Carrots , Peas and the like) and offer them on the cage floor on a white paper plate also clip larger chunks of the Broccoli and Carrots to the cage bars right next to perches and over time they usually can't resist tasting it. But if you stop putting it in their cage they can never get to that day that they will try it :)

Also since she is tame - when she is out with you eat the Vegetables in front of her (and also pretend your fingers are eating it by ripping off pieces with your fingers) if she is curious of what you are doing she may try it too (this worked for one of my Parrotlets).

But the key is don't give up and just keep offering offering offering.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes -

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
She is so cute. Welcome. This is a wonderful place to learn and share pictures and stories! Keep offering many foods. She will start to eat better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts