Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Hoi
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran out of bird food 4 days ago.
I told my mom before we ran out and I thought she said she ordered it already.
Apparently not.
I thought "oh, it's coming soon, millet, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds, maybe some fruits&veg if I can get them to eat it."
I asummed it would arive on Tuesday, it didn't. Wednesday it didn't come, Thursday it didn't come. I wasn't worried about it until yesterday. I came home, exited to see them, and my exitment shrunk fast. Kiwi and Ava/Avocado were sitting there, not moving, all floofed up. I know what a malnoureshed bird looks like, and they looked like that. They only moved when I put my hand in there cage. I brought them out and they ate 1/2 a banana and a millet stock.
Today they didn't look like they wanted to eat at all.
Nuti-berries are out of stock, so my mom ordered Katyee TM From The Wild and got Higgen's Cockatiel food (which their store sells. It wasn't in stock 4 days prior when we needed it.)

I don't know what to do. They seem a lot better today, but them again, they don't seem as intrested in food as they tend to be.
I can't afford a vet right now.
What can I do for them until I can take them to the vet?

Oh, and question: What's worse? incents/candles/cooking in a room were it tends to be loud, or a 13-year-olds-room-that's-clean-most-of-the-time-but-as-arts-and-crafts-done-in-a-lot (asking to convince parents to move Kiwi and Ava to my room)(Most of my paints/pens/markers are odorless).
I'm sorry if you think that I'm uneducated on birds/a bad owner. I probably seems like that to a lot of people.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm sorry if you think that I'm uneducated on birds/a bad owner. I probably seems like that to a lot of people.
You are not.

I asummed it would arive on Tuesday, it didn't. Wednesday it didn't come, Thursday it didn't come. I wasn't worried about it until yesterday. I came home, exited to see them, and my exitment shrunk fast. Kiwi and Ava/Avocado were sitting there, not moving, all floofed up. I know what a malnoureshed bird looks like, and they looked like that. They only moved when I put my hand in there cage. I brought them out and they ate 1/2 a banana and a millet stock.
Did they have absolutely no food during that 4 day time period? No veggies or millet? If they had those they're likely fine. Obviously not ideal to feed only millet to a bird but they could get by a few days without pellets.

I don't know what to do. They seem a lot better today, but them again, they don't seem as intrested in food as they tend to be.

Oh, and question: What's worse? incents/candles/cooking in a room were it tends to be loud, or a 13-year-olds-room-that's-clean-most-of-the-time-but-as-arts-and-crafts-done-in-a-lot (asking to convince parents to move Kiwi and Ava to my room)(Most of my paints/pens/markers are odorless).
I think you may be hyper aware of their behaviour because you are worried. Keep an eye on them and keep an eye on their droppings. Do you weigh them? If you don't you should start regularly weighing them. Parrotlets range in weights but are usually 27 g to 34 g, but of course the important thing is seeing any deviations from the norm, rather than the specific weight.

Regarding arts and crafts, it sort of depends what arts and crafts you mean. I have done acrylic painting with Monty in the room before (my living room). My main painting studio is a different room, but acrylics are not too bad odor wise, but he is not allowed anywhere near my paints and he's not out if I'm painting. Watercolours, glue sticks, colouring pencils and those crayola type markers are likely fine. I would avoid things like strong odored sharpies open for too long (but I've used them in the room with Monty briefly and it was fine), oil painting (as you need to use turpentine or mineral spirits to wash off oil paint and they STINK), and things like hot glue (I made a costume recently and just did the hot glue bits in a different room) or stuff that heats up (soldering, cosplay plastic bending etc.).
When I was a kid I did model aircrafts and I used to do it in the same room as my budgie and he was fine, granted the room was quite large and I was not next to him. That glue is stinky too as are the paints.

If you ask me, I'd pick the arts room with the occasional smell over incense and candles and cooking. I'm curious if other feel like that.
Also my house is messy and I'm a messy person. As long as they are supervised that's fine.

·
Registered
Hoi
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they have absolutely no food during that 4 day time period? No veggies or millet? If they had those they're likely fine. Obviously not ideal to feed only millet to a bird but they could get by a few days without pellets.

They had some millet and raw pumpkin seeds.

I tend to do watercolor, digital art, and 98% of the time have pen drawings on myself (ofc the digital art won't have affect on them lol) and sometimes I use sharpies to make lines bolder. It was the sharpies and the mess paint can/does make that worries me /:

·
Registered
7 Posts
They had some millet and raw pumpkin seeds.

I tend to do watercolor, digital art, and 98% of the time have pen drawings on myself (ofc the digital art won't have affect on them lol) and sometimes I use sharpies to make lines bolder. It was the sharpies and the mess paint can/does make that worries me /:
Hello to you fellow Parrotlet and Art lover! 👩‍🎨 🦗 ⬅ is a cricket lol why hasn't anyone named their green Parrotlet Cricket? is there one? and why isn't there a green Parrotlet emoji?

Water colours contain toxins, unless they are labelled non toxic of course, some of the toxins are Cadmium, (Cadmium red), Zinc White ( white,) Cobalt (in some blues.), would be deadly for tiny birds like Parrotlets
also don't let them chew your paintings because dried paint on paper is just as toxic.

Instead of incense or candles, you can simmer citrus peels it's natural and smells great, everyone will be happy.
You can buy natural citrus air freshener it's pricey but really nice stuff.

Me and my two, wish you and your two a happy weekend!
Smitten (Laurie) and Bonny & Cloud

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ran out of bird food 4 days ago.
I told my mom before we ran out and I thought she said she ordered it already.
Apparently not.
I thought "oh, it's coming soon, millet, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds, maybe some fruits&veg if I can get them to eat it."
Today they didn't look like they wanted to eat at all.
Nuti-berries are out of stock, so my mom ordered Katyee TM From The Wild and got Higgen's Cockatiel food (which their store sells. It wasn't in stock 4 days prior when we needed it.)

I think that writing in shows you care. No judgement. We are all learning all the time.
1. If you can afford Roudybush (crumbles/minis) those would be way healthier for your little guys. Seeds are cheaper if you make the mix yourself…think bulk foods section at your grocery store. Chia, millet, sesame, quinoa. Drastically limit sunflower seeds. My bird happens to love veggies but I know it is a common issue for people that they will not eat them. My breeder suggested putting one piece of kale on a wooden clothes pin in the cage. That is how I started him on veggies and he loves it. Also if you’re ever out of food again, grain is really good for them. Cooked oatmeal, whole-grain pasta, rice, things like that have lots of protein. If you were giving food during that time period, it would be my guess that they were just depressed with the change. These little guys are so sensitive to any change. Your vet would know much better than I, but hopefully some of that information is helpful. I did not have a vet when I got mine, but I just called a couple of various clinics and that’s were happy to give me some tips. You might be able to try that.
2. I would absolutely have your birds in your room. Any smoke or toxins from cooking could kill them immediately. For example does your family use any nonstick pans or bakeware? Candles are an absolute no. I read that we Bree then some thing like 30% of what’s in the air around us. Birds breathe and 90%.
Here’s what I’m thinking, if you have toxic materials around for your bird like sharpies, it is a lot easier for you to take your project out of the room into the living room or some thing and go back in, then it is to change cookware, not light candles etc. if your parents insist on candles, Michaels arts and craft store and Costco have some really neat battery operated candles that look very real. That is what we use now because the risk of inhalation is not worth it to me. My fingers are crossed that you will be able to have your birds in your room with you because that sounds like a safer environment for them from what you have said. Again I would just make sure that you use any strong smelling materials in another room. I do digital art as well and the only thing that bothers him is the light from the computer.🤣 And The fact that I’m looking at something besides him. 🤣🤣🤣
My last advice would be to continue what you’re doing with millet. During this stressful transition and possible change of food, make sure they have millet available at all times. That is not some thing I would recommend feeding them on a regular basis, but it is very comforting for them.
3. My only other question would be what is happening at night? Are they getting 12 hours of dark uninterrupted sleep? That is crucial to a parrotlets well-being.
I hope some of that information is helpful. Feel free to write to me if you have any other questions. Hopefully the idea about calling vets in your area or even out of state wink wink will lead you in the right direction. I know people were really really helpful for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts