Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or the bird found me???
Kate & I had pulled into the driveway and already unpacked the car of groceries when this itty bitty chicken ( i think? ) can stumbling out of the bed by the front door!!!
I scooped it up and put it into a breeder cage that was in the garage. I then put it out on the back patio where i gave it some water and made a mix of cracked corn, grit and budgie seeds. It inhaled the water and after about 5 minutes of drinking, it started on the food. I feel really bad for it since it was 112* yesterday and just about the same today!!!
I think its a chicken, but not too sure! its about 4" from beak to butt. It must be young since it really has no tail feathers. Its all brown with some darker marking on it.
I have NO idea what i will do with it. I cant let if run free in the garden, as the hawk will surely catch it! What should I do????

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hmmmm. Not sure. I think it will be fine in the cage for now, since it is so young. Are there any farms around your area that have chickens? Maybe ask them?

You could also build a pin in the back yard and keep it there... sorry I'm not much help

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, no farms, i'm in a residential area. I wont put fliers up since I dont want someone "claiming" its there, and eat it for christmas!!! if someone puts up a flier, i will return it for sure. I was thinking about a small run in the back bed with chicken wire???

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think that would work, maybe a dog house so it can have a house to relax in to get away from the sun.

My friends have chickens, but they are free range. . . plus they never actually wanted them, the chickens just never left....

Sometimes the hawks get them, but for the most part they are doing fine. They actually roost in the trees and hang out around them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
isn't she a guinnea (sp?) hen. She looks like it to me. They are little and cute and good little watch chickens.
She may just be little brown hen. I think she is cute and got a good home.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I began to ask my partner if I could get one, but before the actual name of the bird got out of my mouth, my partner said no..

Is there such a thing as too many birds?!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL, yes, thats what my hubby tells me! lol

i have read quail are good aviary birds, so if it is, after a quarantine, i'll add it to the aviary i guess

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Button quial maybe??

If so, I would readup on caresheets. They are nice little birds to own.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I was reading about button quails.... It looks like it could be one! I still want one.....

*Pouts*

but I saw something odd... one person was saying that you could keep one in a 55 gallon w/ a screen lid.... that doesn't sound very....well nice to me. I wouldn't keep a parrot in tank, why would I keep a quail?

weird stuff out there on the net.... weird stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts