Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my nate will not let me put my hand near his cage , he gets very mean and bites at me , i have tried using another cage but he does the same thing , he fluffs up his feathers and chatters very loudly too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you had him long? Maybe he needs some time to get used to you. You know, sit outside his cage, talk to him. Eventually he will want to come out and play with you, parrotlets are like that by nature I suppose.

How does he act when you aren't near him? Is he calm?
If he isn't, i'd definately give him time to settle down.

If this doesn't really work, the main goal is to definately get him out of his cage, so he doesn't become to overprotective. Take him out with a cloth if you are scared of your hand getting torn to shreds, and make sure he gets out. After that put him on your lap, or bed or something and just talk to him calmly, let him get used to being handled.
Maybe rearrange the cage every once and a while by rotating toys and perches around so he isn't so overprotective of the cage.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nemo does the exact same thing to my boyfriend. To me, he's a total sweetie but he will go into attack mode if my boyfriend is in sight, so sometimes I get nipped at, too.

I agree with Azale -- he most likely won't be this aggressive when he's out of his territory, in another room. Nemo lets me do anything to him almost when he's in my room, but if his cage is in sight, he'd rather run away than get scritches.

I also change his toys/perches around a bit every week or two, just so he doesn't get TOO overprotective of his cage. It seems to help a bit.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Parrots do this a lot. Chipper does sometimes. I just stay postitive with her. That is thier home. I just ask her to step up and she comes out. I am never negative. You can use a soft perch like a rope perch to get him out of you like. Chipper loves soft perches, that is why I suggested that. I just use my finger.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Moondancer,

We need more info if you don't want us to take shots in the dark.

How long have you had Nate?

How long has he had this behavior?

Has anything changed regularly?

Do you have other birds?

Etc.

Give us a better sense of the situation and this group will probobly be able to give some very good suggestions.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have had nate since christmas , he was born in october , when i first got him i could put my hand in the cage and say step up and he would and he would sit on my shoulder , get in my hair ...lol... but then he started getting very aggressive , i cant get near his cage without him fluffing his feathers and chirping very loudly and if i put my hand near the cage he wants to bite me.I put him in a different cage and he does same thing, i haven't tried changing his toys around though. thanks for any help you can give

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
moondancer - do you notice Nate being overly attached to a particular toy? - does he sit by one in particular and seem to favor it? - Usually it will be one with a reflection, either with a mirror or a bell.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Moondancer,

If you're not sure about the toy - since Nate was/is hand tame at one point - try taking a small white towel or a white wash cloth [I say white because most birds seem to take to white over colored ones]

- wrap the towel around your hand and see if he will step onto it - if he does step up onto it - remove him from the cage, take him to another room and interact with him in the other room away from his cage for a few minutes - if he goes back to his old sweet self than he more than likely has bonded with a toy or some other object in his cage... [This happened to my male]

If he doesn't take to the towel suggestion by stepping up onto it - try a perch or bird proof the room and open his cage door to see if he comes out on his own - if he won't do that then wait for someone else to suggest something on how to remove him from the cage without freaking him out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts