Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand my bird's (name is Chirly) behaviour.

Sometimes Chirly will do this squawking sound and move from side to side like in this video:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand my bird's (name is Chirly) behaviour.

Sometimes Chirly will do this squawking sound and move from side to side like in this video:
Hello fellow Canadian!

This is what I dubbed the "horny dance". Chirly is trying to... get busy with your hand.

This is a hormonal behaviour and should be discouraged as best as you can :) There's some great stickies on the site about hormonal behaviour, but when they do this the best thing to do it put them down on a perch or back in the cage and ignore the behaviour entirely. My bird is flighted so I sometimes throw him (forcing him to fly) which snaps him out of it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello, very cute little Chirly,
Yep, my Brucie used to do this and at first I thought it was really cute, I would sing to him when he was doing it and then I learned that he was actually doing a sexy dance for me so quickly stopped it by putting him back in his cage.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
Oh yeah, sexy time. Seems to happen a lot with younger birds figuring stuff out. Best is to distract and ignore. Bit like a wiggle neck thing. It would be easier if they were not so darn cute while doing their little dances of love.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yes! Seen it a million times. He is looking for relief . If you encourage this, it will get worse and more involved. He is doing what is natural.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts