Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on being owned by a tiny tyrant parrotlet. Your adventures are just beginning. If there is anything we can help with just ask. Mean while we love pics of you and your bird.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the site and congrats on being owned by a tiny tyrant parrotlet. Your adventures are just beginning. If there is anything we can help with just ask. Mean while we love pics of you and your bird.
I have so many questions!! I don’t know how old he is as we found him in the middle of the street in front of our house… literally sitting in the street. We posted his picture on Next Door and at local exotic bird shops nearby. No one ever claimed him. He’s tame so I know he was a pet. The bird store indicated that people have been letting birds go because they can afford them, are forced to move, or simply don’t want them anymore. All of which are awful if true. At this point we’ve become so attached to him and his quirky little personality. I am finding he is very picky with food. He seems to only like seed and millet. I made some chop and sprinkled millet on top and he shows little interest. I want to make sure he’s offered a wide variety of healthy foods so he isn’t vitamin/mineral deficient. He’s out of his cage most of the day and I take a smaller cage outside daily so he can get sunlight (which he loves!) in Long Beach where we live we have wild parrots and when they fly over and squawk he goes crazy chirping and squawking.
Any ideas/tips for introducing healthy foods into his diet?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Scooter is a great name! He is one lucky bird! What kind/brand of seed mix do you have? Since Scooter is a small hook bill, he can eat cockatiel mixes that are low in sunflower seeds. It will be hit and miss with his food until you find out what he likes. Keep a millet spray in his cage at all times. If you have other pets, please keep him away from them, especially cats and dogs! Please!

Post a close up of him from a side view. I would like to see this.

Maybe you could post his picture on telephone poles and bulletin boards around your neighborhood.

Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum! Scooter is a great name! He is one lucky bird! What kind/brand of seed mix do you have? Since Scooter is a small hook bill, he can eat cockatiel mixes that are low in sunflower seeds. It will be hit and miss with his food until you find out what he likes. Keep a millet spray in his cage at all times. If you have other pets, please keep him away from them, especially cats and dogs! Please!

Post a close up of him from a side view. I would like to see this.

Maybe you could post his picture on telephone poles and bulletin boards around your neighborhood.

Dave
Bird Beak Window Parrot Cabinetry
we did put some flyers up at local pet stores, but nothing. It’s been over a month now. If he got out I would be looking frantically for him. He is a beautiful boy. I am mesmerized by him.

I do have spray millet in his cage which he loves! The exotic bird store directed me to a mixture of seed, it was a scoop yourself bin so I’m not sure of the brand. I watch his poop closely for any changes and all seems normal. He drinks water throughout the day (bottled spring). Funny how life changes with a bird. I don’t wear perfume anymore, no more candles or air fresheners, I bought pots and pans that are NOT non-stick, and the ceiling fans are always off now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He also doesn’t seem to enjoy shredding or foraging even though I have appropriate toys for him to do so.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
He is a very beautiful p'lett! Looks healthy. I will bet he lives near the place you found him. Keep up the loving! Try Higgins cockatiel mix. Usually in pet stores, they carry a lot of parakeet type of seed mixes when they scoop from a bin. This would not be enough nutrition for your dwarf parrot. You can look at a variety of seed mixes, like ABBA 1600C, Goldenfeast Australian mix, etc. Nutri-berries are good, but sometimes you have to break them up a little. Put a fresh Broccoli floret between the bars of his cage and see if he eats it. Leave it all day. It may take a few days before he gets curious enough to try it out. Try Kale, carrots, hemp seeds, chia seeds, green bell pepper ( cut open and let him eat the seed pod ), plain popcorn, plain no salt saltines, hard boiled egg ( cut in quarters and let him eat), non-seasoned baked chicken breast, chopped- every few days or so, some fried or scrambled egg every few days or so, ........

Once you learn what he likes, you can make up a seed mix for him. I used to buy seeds in one pound amounts...a pound of hemp seeds, a pound of sunflower seeds, a pound of chia seeds, etc. I would then mix a balanced amount of seeds that my p'letts enjoyed and was healthy for them.
I do know one thing.....your bird is a very lucky bird to have found you! ( That's the way he will tell his friends...that HE found and rescued you! ) That is the life of a parrotlet. He will own you and your heart!

David and Vicki

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m going to try all of your suggestions! I’ll start with the broccoli today. Thank you for all the helpful tips and advice! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just had to reply to this as we also found our first parrotlet, Willow! My husband is a postman and was on a different round when she just flew up in front of him. He caught her easily and after no one came forward we adopted her. Sadly she passed this year but she changed our lives completely 💕

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just had to reply to this as we also found our first parrotlet, Willow! My husband is a postman and was on a different round when she just flew up in front of him. He caught her easily and after no one came forward we adopted her. Sadly she passed this year but she changed our lives completely 💕
I’m so sorry for the loss of Willow. How long did you have her? I’m curious, what was her adjustment phase like when you first found her? Scooter is such a great little guy, he gets moody at times but I’m learning this is normal behavior. I’m really trying to teach him to talk and I think he’s trying to say words but they’re not quite understandable yet. 😂

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you 💕

She was found in August 2018 and passed in February of this year; we have no idea how old she was but she was definitely used to people.

Initially she was fearful of people but after only a little perseverance from my husband she was so tame! It didn’t take long really and she was so good with friends and family! Vets even commented about how good she was at being held. In the whole time we had her she only took against two people, everyone else she would land on unasked and she’d step up nicely for everyone too. She was a sweetheart and my husband maintains she’s the best thing he ever found. She was blue too 🥰

River is a very different personality but very cuddly with me and he just started talking, it’s the cutest thing.

Enjoy Scooter, who has the sweetest name by the way, he’s a lovely boy x

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Thank you 💕

She was found in August 2018 and passed in February of this year; we have no idea how old she was but she was definitely used to people.

Initially she was fearful of people but after only a little perseverance from my husband she was so tame! It didn’t take long really and she was so good with friends and family! Vets even commented about how good she was at being held. In the whole time we had her she only took against two people, everyone else she would land on unasked and she’d step up nicely for everyone too. She was a sweetheart and my husband maintains she’s the best thing he ever found. She was blue too 🥰

River is a very different personality but very cuddly with me and he just started talking, it’s the cutest thing.

Enjoy Scooter, who has the sweetest name by the way, he’s a lovely boy x
I am always amazed how much different parrotlets make to people's lives. I know that ours did. My wife says that Bo and Jules and now Rio filled a void in our family we did not even know we had. Amazing little creatures they are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We didn’t even know what a parrotlet was! My husband called and said, “I found a parrot!” I was picturing a macaw 😂 then he said he thought it was a parrot so I googled ‘tiny parrot short tail’ and we suddenly became acquainted with these wonderful little birds!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts