Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got my first parrotlet, Enzo. I've been researching Parrotlets for over a year now and finally decided it was time. Unfortunately there were no breeders near me and had to get him from a pet shop. He is a little nervy, but I think we are making good progress. I've had him for a week now and he will now eat millet from my hand. around lunch time he likes to talk to me and will move closer to get a good look at me whilst i'm working. He is on a seed diet at the moment which I would like to change but until he's fully settled I wont try to switch this up - he does have a bowl of veggies but he doesn't touch it or play with his toys at the moment. I'm not too worried - I think this is normal to begin with whilst they settle?

Thought I would just say hello - I will post a photo of him once he is a bit more used to me!

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Congratulations on Enzo - we would love to see photos of him! It is normal for many birds to be wary of new foods and toys. Regarding vegetables or new foods, often you need to provide them over and over and over for them to eat them regularly. Many people sprinkle chia seeds on top to entice their bird to eat them. Many birds are hungry in the morning after a full night sleep, so that is a good time to provide them although they can be provided anytime throughout the day.

Some parrotlets rarely play with toys, while others ignore them for a while and all of a sudden one day they decide to demolish or play with them. To acclimate your bird to new toys, many people put them on a surface first near their bird's cage so that your bird can see that it is not a parrotlet eating monster and then you can transition them to their cage.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hello I started putting broccoli and kale in top of my guys seeds. The theory was he would eat those first then the seeds. It actually worked so Im going to keep that up for a while then I will put veggies in their own bowl. My guy does not like big food, if it is big he drops it so I just put the broccoli tops scattered over seeds mix

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
You can also try eating some of the vegetables in front of him to get him interested in trying them. You may also want to experiment with presentation such as chopped small, bigger pieces, on a skewer, jammed in between the cage bars, steamed, and so on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello and welcome, Percy is my first parrotlet also.
I've learned so much from this forum. Percy enjoys veggie & fruit kebabs. She doesn't get fruit every day. Just every so often. I use different veggies yellow squash, carrot, jalapeno, green pepper seeds, broccoli and strawberries or a few. Broccoli can also be placed between the cage bars. She also gets chop veggies which is cooked rice with steamed mix veggies.
As soon as I uncover her in the mornings she starts chattering very loud for her veggies. She has seeds at all times but she wants her fresh veggies first thing in the morning. My family says she spoiled. lol!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Enzo seems to really want to bond with you if he is eating millet from your hand already and has taken an interest in what you are doing. Those are really good signs! He must be so happy to be out of that pet shop! He is going to love having the freedom of having a home and having someone who loves him. Good for you for doing research on parrotlets before purchasing one. The more you know about these little guys, the better off they are and you too! It would not hurt to start offering him veggies and fruit right away. You have been given good advice from everyone. Good luck with Enzo and if you have any other question, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice. Enzo is doing well, he’s still a little shy but he will come out do his cage for his breakfast and is learning to step up and target train. He’s not too interested in his toys but he does enjoy pulling millet from them.

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
I love hearing that Enzo is doing so well. You are such doing a great job with him. Love the pics - Enzo looks like he is enjoying his life - he sure is adorable. So, he is not into toys that much? Not all of them are. I got one like that. I have a container of toys she will not look at. She only seems to like something she can climb or swing on. They all have minds of their own!

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
He is adorable, love the photos! It sounds like he's doing wonderful, four weeks is still not very long and it seems like he is settling in very nicely! Before you know it I suspect you will hardly be able to remember the shy little bird you brought home. I know we typically think of getting birds at pet stores as not ideal, usually the animals there don't have the best of things but the reality is every bird needs a home. I am so glad that you brought little Enzo home. I only got one of my birds from a pet store, I knew that he needed me badly and he was without a doubt the sweetest little parrotlet I have ever known.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Enzo is adjusting. He is very used to us and likes us to be in the same room as him. He will step up but only when he’s hungry (does always have food available). He is eating his fruit and veggies well now too.

He is very scared of toys and objects and we have done some exposure work with him but once okay with them he still won’t play with them. He will come out when stepping up and eat from him play perch but he isn’t very keen on being out the cage or interacting with us unless we are training.

Does anyone have any tips on playing with toys and encouraging bravery when out of the cage? He’s not cage bound and will step up off his perch and out of the cage etc bht once out he will just sit on his perch unless training. Often his big reward for training is going back into his cage.

some tips on bonding out fo the cage would be helpful too. 😁. Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
888 Posts
How nice to hear how Enzo is doing! He has come a long way! Don’t worry he will get there. You are doing great!

So, Enzo is not interested in toys. I understand your frustration - My Cleopatra is the same way! It took me a long time to figure out that the only things she likes are her preening toys and anything she can swing on or climb like rope nets, swings and ladders. Also, natural perches she can chew on. Maybe try arranging Enzo’s cage so he can climb, jump and swing around from perches, swings, ladder and such. That is what my bird enjoys. What made her really happy was when I bought a big playstation – one of those that is multi-level and is on wheels and I added swings, ladders and rope perches all over it so she can jump and climb around it like it is a tree. It has food and a water bowls. I hide little treats on it for her to find – they like foraging for food. It is a great place for her to hang outside her cage. You can set up an area away from Enzo’s cage with favorite treats and food and water. Give him something interesting to climb or swing on…

Setting up a permanent perch, swing or playstation is also a good way to add some gradual distance away from your bird’s cage so you are expanding their territory. With Enzo being scared you may only be able to move a short distance from his cage at first, so he still feels safe. That is okay, the goal is to try and keep him out of his cage longer. Tie some millet to a perch or leave some favorite treats around to entice him to stay. Since food is a great motivator for Enzo, why not share a meal with him? I eat lunch with Cleopatra a lot. They like it because it is a flock thing. It is a great way to bond with your bird outside of their cage. Plus, they like it when they are eating the same thing as you are. Share eggs, fruit, veggies, rice or anything they love. It is also a good way of trying to get them to try something new. If he flies away from the spot you are trying to get him used to, then he is not ready and go back to previous spot he is comfortable. It just takes time. Once he sees it as a safe area, you can again move him a little farther away or add another area for him to perch. A slow deliberate introduction to new things and experiences teaches them that it will not harm them. It all comes down to them being prey animals and their instincts telling them to be cautious to survive. Enzo needs to learn that the room is a safe place like his cage.

So, food is a great motivator for birds. Keep his favorite treats for only when he is out of the cage. That will make it a fun and enjoyable experience for him. Good luck. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts