Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just joined this forum. I had no intention of getting a bird, though years ago, I had finches, budgies, and lovebirds, and volunteered at a local Aviary. But I noticed a local ad for a 3-month old parrotlet that the owner was selling because her dogs kept attacking the cage, trying to eat the bird. Just this picture of this little guy sitting on a totally inappropriate wooden dowel (WAY too thick for his little feet), alone in the cage with almost no toys. Every time I checked, the ad was still there; no one wanted him.
I couldn't take it anymore, and finally decided to buy him; his original owner dropped him off today.
I haven't decided whether to find him a great home or whether to keep him. I know from experience that if a bird is going to have a good quality of life, it will require a lot of time, attention, etc., and I really want this little cutie to be happy.
If I keep him, I'm going to get the biggest cage I can find. As I've been doing research, though, there is one subject on which I cannot find consistent advice. One website that I read said that parrotlets usually easily accept a new parrotlet as a mate and they keep each other company. But I've since read NEVER to keep two parrotlets in the same cage, because they are such aggressive birds and one might hurt or even kill the other. In the past, I've always kept birds in pairs--I personally don't like keeping birds by themselves, locked in a cage. It often means that the bond between me and my bird isn't as strong, because the bird often bonds to its feathered mate, but that's okay with me--I don't want a bird to be totally dependent on me for entertainment, affection, companionship, etc. Some people have the time and love providing that one-on-one with their bird, and that's great, but I've seen so many miserable birds that were bought on impulse (or for kids), and their humans lost interest in spending time with them.
Anyway, does anyone have advice re: whether parrotlets can have mates and if so, how to introduce them and whether they do better with a mate of the opposite gender or same gender? The little guy I got is a boy.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear you rescued the little guy and have given him a MUCH better home.
As far as the website that claimed that parrotlets usually easily accept a new parrotlet as a mate, they are just WRONG. Parrotlets can and do kill other parrotlets, and often attack even if they don't share the same cage. Only ever get a second bird if YOU want a second bird, because not only separate cages but you might even have to keep the birds in separate rooms. I would ignore all advice on that particular site, because that is truly wrong, and it would make me question everything they posted. Parrotlets are most often happiest as "only children."
We'd LOVE pictures of the little guy! What's his name?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Rubydoo252 is spot on! This forum has entertained the question many times about " to have one parrotlet or two." You must not reason out things about how lonely or happy a bird is going to be. The birds do not look at life the way we do or look at time the way we do.

P'letts are happy all by themselves. Give them good play toys and good food and plenty of love and attention, and they will thrive and BOND with you. I have had a p'lett named Bogie for 8 years and he has been the most entertaining bird I have ever seen. The friends in this forum has read about Bogie's life and antics for several years now. He has almost died, and we got him through this. He has saved my life. He has a vocabulary of 56 words and sentences. I could go on and on........

The little guy you have is going to be a wonderful addition to your family and ours. We want pictures and his name! He will bond with you. Feed him small hook bill seed and plenty of veggies, especially broccoli, kale, carrots, etc! Fried, boiled or scrambled eggs is a good, vitamin packed treat, along with baked or broiled chicken, rice, quinoa, peppers, etc. My Bogie will do anything for pepperoni or a little bite of cheese.

Give him millet and a mineral block ( cuttle bone) and add a little liquid vitamin to his water every day. Some people put powdered vitamin on their food/seeds, but sometimes the powder falls down to the bottom of the feed bowl. Remember, he is not a parakeet! He is a dwarf parrot---a real parrot! And he will bite and have the temperament of a large parrot. He will own you!:D

Keep in touch!

Dave and Bogie

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
Hi, Welcome! I'm so happy to hear you have rescued him. I think he will be scared and need some time to adjust so just take it slow with him.
I personally like birds to be my companions, and if you feel time is an issue to spend with one bird, two is even worse. Also, Parrotlets need constant human interaction to remain tame, so if you did happen to find a friend that got along with him it would still be bad to not handle them because you would end up with two untame hard to handle birds.
I have a male/female pair of parrotlets who were just perfect together, and recently my girl plucked out all her feathers. I think among other reasons she is frustrated she cant mate and have babies (I cant let them nest because of long story reasons...)
So in the end, two is always more complicated and a big risk. I got Lilly to be a mate for Tobie who I rescued from a lonely pet store, and while I love them both, They are a handful.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
add a little liquid vitamin to his water every day.
My vet recommends against this, because it causes bacteria to grow in the water and doesn't get almost any vitamins actually into the bird.

Btw, Tumi says HI! He also says I should stop typing and make him breakfast. :D

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
My vet recommends against this, because it causes bacteria to grow in the water and doesn't get almost any vitamins actually into the bird.

Btw, Tumi says HI! He also says I should stop typing and make him breakfast. :D

:DThere are different opinions about everything. The liquid vitamins are to be replaced every day. No bacteria problems. The vitamin ' drop per ounce of water ratio' ensures that the bird gets the proper doses if your bird drinks a normal amount of water. If your bird is sick, then you must apply the vitamin by dropper if this is what the vet wants.

Bogie kept getting colds so I first sprinkled a powdered vitamin on his food---result---still got colds. I switched to liquid vitamins--result---not one cold since. Not one.

BUT, go by what the vet says.He knows your birdie as well as anyone.;). If my vet says to use powder vitamins, I will. If it doesn't help, I will change. This is what I did with Bogie. Now, if I could just find a way to get into that green birdie's mind.......Hmmmmm.:eek:

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
What has been shared regarding whether to have one or two birds is very good. Personally I like having one parrotlet. I enjoy the special bond I have with a single parrotlet in my life. I'd suggest working with one, and after several months see how its going, and then consider if you really want another bird. Aside from what's been shared, the addition of a second birds is an even bigger commitment of time and energy, and given what happen with this little one in his first home, he's going to need some special tlc for a while to recover and settle...probably best to wait on a second bird. You'll likely find that he adapts very well to life with you as the sole birdie in the house. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Very good advice given, as usual. Welcome to the forum. Bless your heart for the rescue. Now he is in a forever home. Give him lots of time to adjust. Keep us posted and stay positive. Best to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome! I too am a new member. Thank you for giving this little one a home. I too thought of getting a second one to keep my bird company, but after all the reading I decided one is best. if they dont like each other I woudn't be able to give it the best one on one attention if they were in different cages. Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You made the right choice by adopting him out. I would recommend to keep a single one, since they love company, they will always be eager to be with you, making them easier to tame. If you do get 2, they have each other for company so might not be as motivated to be with you.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts