Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!
I am brandnew to p-lets. I did all my homework for about 6 mos. before purchasing Sora, a male blue pacific. Made sure to read all I could about beginning training and such, how its important to establish trust first thing, pretty much read everything on the net.
I am curious about one thing, maybe somebody has heard of this... :confused:
the breeder I purchased him from mentioned that to discourage biting when taking him out of the cage that he would grab the bird, and if he bit, he would lightly pinch the beak shut, and hold birdy in a belly-up position (cradeling him in his hand) for about 6 seconds or so. I guess i could see that he was trying to establish dominance, but this seems counter productive to me. I couldn't find this tip anywhere regarding p-lets. maybe its a technique for larger birds?
any help would be great. :D
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi Eileen and Sora – welcome.... Nice name for a bird :)

A lot of people have different methods to training and taming including breeders.

I’ve learned to do what I felt was the right suggestions for my birds and me. So do what feels right to you.

I agree with you that grabbing the bird and holding its beak is counterproductive – IMO that would make the bird fear you whenever you came near it.

Never grab or chase them as this will set you way back –

My personal belief is most Parrotlets will attempt to bite from time to time – they are moody and at times territorial with their cages, toys or mate – IMO you just need to learn to read their moods and react and interact with them accordingly. I can’t remember the last time I got a bite but this is not to say my birds would never attempt to bite – I just know their moods and when and when not to interact with them.

This topic is talked about throughout the site – and I’m sure more people will reply with their suggestions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Pado

Thanks for the input!
i am finding that my new little family member is very friendly (we LOVE to be scritched:) ) we just are VERY afraid of hands. If I cover my hands with sleeves, we are lovely and want to come out of our cage and be social.
Do you have any good suggestions for getting my bird used to handns? :confused:
I have been rewarding him with millet for step-ups and i try to inch my fingers up the spray each time, but he gets very anxious watching my fingers, like they are scary to him.
I know this is going to take time, just am looking for other ideas of how to make hands look friendly to him.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi everybody!

the breeder I purchased him from mentioned that to discourage biting when taking him out of the cage that he would grab the bird, and if he bit, he would lightly pinch the beak shut, and hold birdy in a belly-up position (cradeling him in his hand) for about 6 seconds or so. I guess i could see that he was trying to establish dominance, but this seems counter productive to me. I couldn't find this tip anywhere regarding p-lets. maybe its a technique for larger birds?
any help would be great. :D
Thanks.

NO no no!!! You do not establish dominance over parrots! This will not form trust b/t you and your bird. That is sort of "old school" in the bird world. The breeder needs to learn about current methods of keeping and training. This is NOT a technique to use with any bird!!

You have to establish trust (like you said) and when you have trust and respect your bird won't want to bite!

Secondly, welcome :) You found a nice forum.

Check out this training thread:
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=482

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I wish I had a cure but no such luck :D My female was very very hand shy when I got her – she still isn’t as comfortable as my male with hands – She will step up but if she’s not in the mood to she will refuse and run away – My male always steps up, I’ve never had him refuse. So its each individual bird and I believe how they were hand raised.

My female although hand raised I believe wasn’t interacted with very much – when I picked her up from the breeder the breeder would grab her and manipulate her – looking under her wings etc to what I believed was pretty rough handling and when I got her home she wanted nothing to do with hands or people.

It took months – I got her on March 17th and she just now will step up.

I just took my time with her – was very patient and never tried to force her to do anything. I actually took the position that if she never became hand tamed I was okay with that. But with patience and daily interaction with both the birds over time she came to see I was not going to hurt her –

It helped when she got herself into a pickle – example flying into the sink – she would readily step up onto my hand to get out. This is how I got her used to my hand – feeding her Strawberries (her favorite) and ‘saving’ her when she flapped her way into a place she didn’t want to be.

Also, I would put food on the counter for both my birds to forage together and when they did my hand would join them and I’d pick at the food with my fingers pretending to be eating it – I tried to make my hand part of their daily foraging and over time she accepted my hand and would eat next to it and nibble on it at times.

But I believe with a single bird you will have much quicker progress as yours will want your company and to make friends with all of you including your hands– My female had another bird and bonded to him and so she took a bit longer to come around.

So its really just time and patience.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts