Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to say hello to evry one, and also ask for some tips and some help with sexing one of my new parrotlets.

we already have one green one whos we know is a little boy, and we recently aquired two more, a blue one and another green one.
the blue one is obviously a boy as it has biright blue eye stripes, blue wings and a bright blue bottom.
but we cant work out what the green one is!
in comparison to our first green parrotlet (Pickle) the new one looks as though it should be female

Pickle, similar to the blue one (Polo) has very obvious blue feathers.

so the second green one (either Marco or Opal depending on its sex) has very faint blue eye stripes, no blue at all on its wings, but then has a small blue patch at the top of its rump (wich isnt visible where the wings meet like it is with Pickle and Polo)

these new birds were sold as a pair from a pet sop where they werent being cared for properly as i dont think the ower knows much about the breed, they havnt had daylight, exercise, toys and proper food for at least 6 months...could this also be effecting thier colouring???
the bird in question also has loss of feathers around his neck, we suspect that Polo may have been over preening the other out of boredom.

any help with this would be much appreciated, we are just very confused and worried by our little he she!

thanks grace

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hello and welcome! It sounds like your new green bird is indeed female, but carries a lot of Lucida influence. Lucida is a subspecies of Pacific Parrotlet that was interbred with the nominate for many years before we knew they were distinct - they tend to have more of a grey wash over the back and wings, and females will sometimes exhibit faint eye streaks and a blue rump that is more medium blue than their cobalt male counterparts. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Sounds like a female to me - - could you post a picture of her?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Sounds like a female lucinda to me too :)

I've posted pictures of Jinx, who I'm thinking is a Pacific Parrotlet Lucinda. The first picture is of Jinx on the right and another parrotlet that I used to have on the left. The one of the left is a normal green male. The second picture is Jinx's blue butt. She doesn't have any blue on her wings, they may be a bit tealish in color when spread out, but definitely not blue like the boys!

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty much thank you all of you, this has been fairly helpfull...
we wernt sure, but more certain that 'it' was female

there are pictures on my album of my new pair, but i cant get them to spread thier wings, so you cant really tell that much, will try to get better pictures over the next few days

thanks again

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a female lucinda to me too :)

I've posted pictures of Jinx, who I'm thinking is a Pacific Parrotlet Lucinda. The first picture is of Jinx on the right and another parrotlet that I used to have on the left. The one of the left is a normal green male. The second picture is Jinx's blue butt. She doesn't have any blue on her wings, they may be a bit tealish in color when spread out, but definitely not blue like the boys!
thank you, jinx looks just like our 'Marco'
Looks like we need a change of name haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts