Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Justin and I'm new to the forum. I work at a pet store and recently bought a parrotlet because a customer knew I was interested in buying a parrot, but that I live in an apartment and I need a semi-quiet type of parrot. She had once owned one and so I looked up information online (which also led me here) and decided this was the right kind of parrot for me.
My parrotlet Tori and I have been together for almost a month now and I love him very much. Unfortunately, he seems to be sick at the moment, but I have faith he'll pull through and be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Justin,

Welcome, my wife Sara and I have been parrotlet owners for nearly 2 months now, and love our little bird. She's been great, doing better all the time with the step up command and getting more friendly and attention-hungry with us than in the first several weeks.

One thing I thought you might consider if your bird becomes oddly aggressive at times - besides the normal causes: hissing, loud noises, etc -- Our bird HATES it when we have her and start using gestures anywhere near her.

Especially when my wife inadvertently begins using her hands and conversation is becoming more animated, the bird evidently feels threatened and starts doing her angry chirping and starts biting!

Took us a few times to figure out what was upsetting her. Now we try not to "talk" with our hands while she's perched on a lap or shoulder because we will be attacked. It's so strange, she's not easily upset otherwise.

Just thought I'd share that since we're figuring this out little by little. The forum here has been very helpful! So many experienced owners' posts have taught us so much very quickly.

Best wishes for you and your new bird -

Ben

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi Justin,

Welcome aboard!

You mentioned that Tori is a little sick, just a little warning, while parrots usually pull through, once they show symptoms they may be much sicker than you think. If you share some of the symptons, some of the members may be able to help.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts