Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby's name is Lilly and she is the sweetest thing :)
I just brought her home two days ago. For now she is very quiet and does not play with her toys. The world must be a scary place. But she is slowly getting used to her new home.
I'm worried however that if she's not drinking. I was away for half the day yesterday and while I know that she ate her millet and mixed seeds, I'm not sure if she got used to the water dishes. I made sure that she has them on every level of the cage (4 in total).
She's tiny! My goodness! I've only seen parrotlets on YouTube and read a lot about them, but I've never seen them in pet stores, so I thought that she would be the size of a lovebird. She's adorable :p:D
Felt horrible taking her away from her brothers and sisters when I picked her up from the breeder :( But I'm making sure that she gets a good loving home. Small.. teeny tiny in fact.. steps :)
She was raised around all kinds of other birds of different breeds, so I think it's also nice to have my finches there (in a separate cage) being active and making sounds.
I'm amazed at how tamed she is. I could not wish for a better bird. The local breeder did an amazing job raising her.
All in all, a very happy and nervous parrotlet parent :)

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and Lilly! How old is she? I she at least 8 - 10 weeks old? P'lets are not big water drinkers. So you don't always see them taking a sip plus they don't ever seem to do it when you are in the room. That's great that you put in 4. Make sure that one is very low for her. Also mine prefers Ice cold water and a lot of them do so maybe make sure it is very cold water. Keep millet in the cage because there is a little moisture in that.

Make sure you have a scale to make sure she is not losing weight. That is a sign to bring to the vet ASAP because when they are little losing weight is a very big deal.

Keep us posted and we would love to see pictures. Sounds like you are a great parront already.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Welcome to you and Lilly. So glad you are happy with her tameness. As long as you feed her well, watch her droppings and provide fresh water, she'll be fine. Is she in a smaller cage? When young, they like a smaller cage for balance. You will know when she'll need more cage room, at around 5 mo. Nutriberries are excellent to bond with you bird. Ollie still loves me to handfeed him with a couple in the morning.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Greetings and welcome!

Sounds like you and Lily are doing just fine.

I'm pretty sure your little one is drinking when she needs to. I keep hearing from others that their parrotlets are stealthy at drinking, and also that they don't drink quite as much as many other kinds of birds. My little blue girl, Sky, isn't sneaky about it at all, but I've heard that many others are.

Enjoy your sweetie!
:)

·
Super Moderator
5,048 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and Lilly! Since she's been in the cage for two days and isn't dead of thirst, she has probably found at least one water dish. Once she has found the dish you don't need to worry about her, as she will drink when she is thirsty. They don't seem to run to the dish as often as other birds do, and some seem to do it secretly, the odd creatures!
It sounds like she is already settling in, and that you have a good handle on helping her transition to her new life.
I would like to second the suggestion of weighing her daily on a gram scale (a food scale works great, with just a dish of food set on top to give her a perch). It will be your first sign that something is wrong, and in birds this tiny might be your only real sign. Once she is a bit older, you can move to once a week weighing, but for now it is important to make sure she is consuming the food and not just playing with it. :)
Oh, and we LOVE pictures, hint hint! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Hi!! I'm so happy for you! :D
I brought my new parrotlet home about two weeks ago, and I was also concerned about her finding the water. I have a little bird bottle and I put a dish with water also just in case she couldn't figure the bottle out yet. I didn't really see her drink the first couple days but she was very tame, so at first (since I knew she was OK with my hands being around her) I reached in slowly and dribbled some of the water so she saw it, and I got a little drip on my finger and carefully got it near her mouth. I stopped close enough she could reach out and test nibble, and when she realized I had the water she would accept it from my finger so I knew she was getting some. A couple days later I kinda hid on the couch under a blanket so I could see what she did when I was not around, and what do you know I saw her go over and drink out of that bottle!! I'm not sure how your little one is with being comfortable yet so obviously you don't want to scare her, but the finger trick works for me when I'm just wanting to make sure she's hydrated. I can tell if she's got the "I'm curious about what your giving me" or the "I'm going to bite the daylights out of that finger if you come any closer" look.
Good luck! I'm sure she will be doing just fine. Post some pics!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello!
Big thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and all the advice!
It's been a week and she's doing great. She plays a lot with the toys that I made for her. It seems that the toys that I bought for her are too big and she was afraid of them, so I had to take them apart and make something smaller, which turned out great (see picture attached).
I got her a small bottle and she liked it right away. I also used a lid of a container as a food tray so that it's easier for her to eat and see the seeds. That worked very well. I got rid of all the dowels, because the breeder said that it hurts their feet and they don't like to sit on them.
I have a tall cage, but she only uses the top half of it, so we'll try to find creative ways to enjoy the rest of the space eventually.
Still working on putting together a gym for her. Right now I just have a thin natural branch that she likes to sit on and a swing hanging from a ceiling with a bell and a rope for climbing.
She's so sweet and lovely I'm amazed. She even gets excited when you come to the cage to take her out.
Huge change from when I brought her home. She's very curious about new toys and now starting to eat fruits and veggies. The only thing is dander, I find her scratching her head a little too much and she doesn't seem to be taking baths. So, maybe we'll need to go for a check up to a vet.
Thanks again, guys!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
She's adorable. Great idea about the toys and they came out wonderful. I layer my cages with things of interest so that Oliver uses all of them. Plus he love little balls and such so spends a lot of the day at the bottom of the cage throwing them around. Each bird is different but as far as baths go here is some help although my guy did not bath until about 6 -7 months. Ice cold water in his steel water bowl first thing in the morning. He will hop right in and take his bath. I then clean the water so he can drink. Some like a shallow bowl or like pyrex dish about an 1" tall with water on the play stand and then they will use it. Some like warm water. Some lite to take lettuce baths. Hand wet lettuce from the top of the cage over a perch and watch the fun! Some like to sit on a perch at the back of the shower and catch the mist and the steam. However, you have to like taking warm showers not hot or shower them separately. Good luck. Also always a good idea to take new baby to vet so they get a baseline on your little ones health.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts