Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Alyse and I do not have a parrotlet yet, but I will around May. I have found a wonderful local breeder and I am very excited! I have been reading some of the forum and you all sound so helpful so I knew this was the forum for me to join. I have a few questions though. What kinds of toys do your parrotlets like to play with, and what fruits/veggies do yours like best? Thank you!:)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome Alyse glad you could join us. It's sorta quiet the last few days but it does that, go ahead and post. I read I just don't have anything to offer sometimes. There are alot of people here with cages full of toys. Miss Bitsey Jo has a mirror, bell and me for best friends. I've have to show her a toy for about a year before she will accept it.lol Don't go by her yours will be a baby? Good luck and happy posting!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Congratulations Alyse on you new soon to be Parrotlet. They are great birds; you have a lot to look forward to. :)

On the veggies:

I recommend trying a variety of vegetables to see which ones he/she will prefer - buy organic if you can - but either way wash them all thoroughly.
Although not all vegetables are equally nutritious - example: celery and lettuce - are mostly water and fiber but not all that nutritious.
Also my vet recommends not feeding too much corn - apparently corn is more of a filler vegetable and has a low nutrition value :eek:

The ones I mostly feed are:

Broccoli (this is probably my Parrotlets favorite)
Carrots (even with the tops if you can find them)
Sugar Peas - Snow Peas
Green Beans
Sweet Potatoes
Cauliflower (although I personally don't like the smell so this isn't a staple :-O

- then I give whatever vegetable us humans are eating with our meal:

- you can experiment in the same way with Fruits: I generally remove the skin.

Although alcohol, chocolate, avocado, apple seeds and cherry pits can be toxic.
This is all I can recall of the top of my head, maybe someone else can add to the list.

On the Toys:

I purchase toys made for small parrots - If they are the kind they can rip up and shred - all the better :D

Be careful with the Budgie/Parakeet toys as Parrotlets beaks are somewhat stronger and they can get hurt on some of the toys that are on the market for Parakeets - especially those small round type bells and the round key-ring kind of clasps - while playing they can get their beaks, nails and even their tongues caught in these.

You can get a lot of info from the other members - some make their own toys and are very creative –

Sorry for the long drawn out reply - Congratulations again and I look forward to seeing some pictures when you get your P’let home.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie [and it seems, lots of other P'lets] like toys that swing. He just loves plastic chain with bells on the bottom. little bells on everything, and shredders...things he can just tear up. They play constantly, and are loads of fun to watch.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
How fun! Parrotlets are wonderful parrots! Get a really large cage for SURE. 1/2 inch bar spacing. I have a King's Cage, really good cages. Chipper loves her ropes perches, swings, shaggy swing, bells, wood and string toys, rubber toys to bite on, her little roly poly penguin, and other fun toys. Make sure you have several diff. perches to choose from. Sandy concrete ones, manzanita, rope, etc...

I give Chipper a veggie mash I make, Beak Appetit meals, birdie bread and muffins I make, scrambled egg, Bean Cuisine, pasta, birdie popcorn, Topper seeds with lots of safflowers, millet... a varied diet. I give her lots of foods twice a day. I also have a Feather Brite full spectrum light.

They need 12 hours of very quiet sleep and a nap also.

Glad you are here!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts