Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I just recently graduated college and have always been interested in parrotlets. I've bred parakeets and had one cockatiel when I was younger, but never a parrotlet. I was originally drawn to them because of their adorable size and cute chattering, but after doing more research and actually visiting a pet shop that specialized in had fed parrots, I couldn't resist (I actually visited the shop over 8 times). I finally decided to get that little green boy parrotlet that I'd been eyeing (or had been eyeing me) over the past 2 weeks.

So I brought him home yesterday in the evening (day before easter) and hes doing great!!! I've never had a bird that was so NOT shy... and took to me so fast! Right now hes on my shoulder pressed up against my cheek, grinding his beak and taking an afternoon nap after stuffing his little face. I just keep thinking... is this normal?! This is crazy! I do have lots of questions tho, so I will be posting around the forum. Just wanted to say HI! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats on your new baby. You are very lucky to have a brand new baby in a new environment and is cuddling up to you and not scared. We will love to see some picture of your new little guy!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hello and welcome! He must have fallen in love with when he first saw you. So glad you went and got him. You and him sound like a good match.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Congratulations! They are amazing little birds and in my opinion, much different in their sensitivity and awareness of their environment than parakeets and cockatiels. They are very much like a larger parrot than a smaller one. Mine is really a mini amazon (they are cousins after all) he makes their sounds (quieter of course) and smells just like them too! Lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum! What's his name? He sounds adorable.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Hello and congrats on your new baby boy. Sounds like you were meant for one another. Cockatiels were always my fave bird and I've had many but 8.5 years ago Timothy snatched my heart. P'lets are like no other bird.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't thought of a name yet! X) Gotta decide in the next few days. I uploaded a few pics to my album. He's just sitting with me now finally and starting to fall asleep! ^-^. He's been pretty rowdy today. I have to get some more toys him.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
He's very handsome! Such vibrant colors. And, he looks very sweet, and comfortable with you already. You could name him Lucky or Charm or Lucky Charm. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes :eek: I was thinking along the lines of lucky or charm, perhaps a name with that meaning. ORRR maybe it will be trouble maker if he keeps trying to bite my ear in attempt to give me a new cartilage piercing.

I believe they were fully weaned 2-3 weeks before I bought him. The other three from the same clutch were still begging to be hand fed. He did a little head bobbing, but not as much as the others. (That is not why I picked him tho, I just liked his demeanor.) I want to say hes 10-11 weeks old, but I'm going to call and ask now that you said that, because I want to at least know his b-day month :)
As for food they were feeding them zupreem cockatiel pellet at first, but they weren't eating too much so they changed it to the zupreem cockatiel seed. I'm going to attempt to make the transition back to pellet food. I will ask about the hand feeding mix when I call about his bday!

It is so neat to watch his personality come out as he gets more comfortable each day. He's not afraid to run up to the keyboard now and see whats going on as I type, (and then try to pry up a key.) >__<

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH two more things! I wanted to do a little pole.

-Did anyone notice a bit of gnawing/biting when you first got your bird? Did it go away? How long did it take / what did you do to help stop it?

note: I noticed from the beginning at the pet store that he would bite in an almost teething manner, but now I've observed that he'll gnaw when he doesn't get what he wants, when he wants it, or if he doesn't like something. It seems to be a bossy thing because he's not skittish at ALL! Today I put some food in my hand, and when it was gone he started gnawing on my palm (sharply) as if to signal me to get more food haha. I want to approach this correctly because I know that punishing a bird the wrong way will not rid of and can even enforce bad behavior. It doesn't seem like a bite out of fear or being territorial.

How long did it take for your parrotlet to be comfortable enough with your hand to receive a head scratch? What did you do to get there?

note: My parrotlet seems to be more comfortable with my face and kisses on his head and back than when I approach him with my hand. I've tried during different times of the day, even when hes preening on my shoulder or hand after eating. He doesn't totally freak out, in fact he goes back to preening not even a second after my attempt and he'll let out a few cheeps as if hes saying "HEY! Cut it out!" I can even leave my hand right beside him and he'll just go about doing his thing, until I reach out with a finger again.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Just looked at your album and your boy looks very healthy and his feathers are in great condition. He's very photogenic. You are going to have so much fun with him.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
OH two more things! I wanted to do a little pole.

-Did anyone notice a bit of gnawing/biting when you first got your bird? Did it go away? How long did it take / what did you do to help stop it?

note: I noticed from the beginning at the pet store that he would bite in an almost teething manner, but now I've observed that he'll gnaw when he doesn't get what he wants, when he wants it, or if he doesn't like something. It seems to be a bossy thing because he's not skittish at ALL! Today I put some food in my hand, and when it was gone he started gnawing on my palm (sharply) as if to signal me to get more food haha. I want to approach this correctly because I know that punishing a bird the wrong way will not rid of and can even enforce bad behavior. It doesn't seem like a bite out of fear or being territorial.

How long did it take for your parrotlet to be comfortable enough with your hand to receive a head scratch? What did you do to get there?

note: My parrotlet seems to be more comfortable with my face and kisses on his head and back than when I approach him with my hand. I've tried during different times of the day, even when hes preening on my shoulder or hand after eating. He doesn't totally freak out, in fact he goes back to preening not even a second after my attempt and he'll let out a few cheeps as if hes saying "HEY! Cut it out!" I can even leave my hand right beside him and he'll just go about doing his thing, until I reach out with a finger again.
About the biting-it seems like you are approaching it correctly because the key is to be able to tell why he is biting before you determine how to respond. If he is biting in a teething sort of way, the best thing to do is ignore it. Unless it becomes consistent and repetitive, in that case, I'd react by walking away, putting him on the floor, or quickly dropping my hand if he is standing on it. If he bites because he is aggressive or wants you to stop doing something, than you should move your hand closer to him and continue doing what you were doing. It is very situational. The most important thing is to stay calm and have no reaction or a neutral reaction when he bites.

About the petting, my bird would not let me pet him at first. What I did was move my index finger slowly toward his head and say "Tickles?" kind of wiggle the tip of my finger. As I moved it toward him, I watched his body language. If he tightened his feathers and stood taller, I said "ok no tickles" and would back off. I just did that everyday. Eventually, he let me touch him but I watched his body language the whole time. If he ever became alert, I'd stop. I think this is important because it builds trust because you are not forcing him-he gets to choose. I would say it was about a week before he let me pet him. And the time he will accept pets has lengthened overall, but sometimes (although rare) he is just not in the mood for pets and that is ok too.

Sounds like you are doing great with him:D

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
He is so gorgeous! You have a little sweetie. As far as biting crazyaboutp'lets is correct. You need to see what the reason behind it is. You maybe encroaching on him, or he may be frightened or he may feel like he will fall, or he is biting out of aggression. The key is never to react in any manner. P'lets love reactions good or bad. It then becomes a game. That being said you can distract him from doing it and reward the new behavior. You can avoid what you are doing that caused him to be stressed. You already seem to be doing a good job by knowing what is causing the behavior so now you can either give him more food or distract him to avoid a bad behavior. As far a scratches Baby is almost 2 years old and does not allow it unless she allows it by rubbing her own head against my thumb when she is perched on my pointer finger. If she does that I am sometimes allowed to use my other hand to scratch her head but not always.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Yes :eek: I was thinking along the lines of lucky or charm, perhaps a name with that meaning.
I googled boy names related to good luck and copied a few in. Good luck choosing a name! It is so important but also very fun!

Felix - Latin, "lucky, fortunate"?
Chance: English; Good luck, Good fortune?
Syon \s-yon\ as a boy's name is of Hindi and Sanskrit origin, and the meaning of Syon is "followed by good luck"?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yay!!

I'm so happy! my still nameless parrotlet let me scratch his head with my finger already! With a full tummy he started getting sleepy so I put him up to my cheek. (and im sure you've all done this) where you basically talk/whisper them to sleep on the back of their head or near their ear while they're all puffed up, you know, where you look like a crazy bird lady telling your bird how cute they are or how good of a boy/girl they are. LOL.

ANYWAY I then attempted to scratch him with my fingers, and he went right into "HEY! What the hell?!" mode, so I backed off and then got as close as he would let me which was his cheek (maybe he was too sleepy to peck me away), and spoke to him softly, and he puffed up and let me scratch him for about 20 seconds! then of course he after he wouldn't let me do it again, but hey, I'm so happy for this crazy progress!!!!

Today he especially blew my mind because he was pretty vocal. He would chirp when he wanted to be picked up and he also would chatter and run around on my lap then just stare at me and start chattering again as if he were trying to explain something. I DIED of cuteness overload.

He actually got stuck in my hair while I was typing this, so I put him in his cage, and just in this amount of time he almost has the door open. Such a handful!!! I'm so glad I've had the past few days off to spend with him, its definitely been necessary for him to warm up to me. I hope he's not too sad when I have to go back to work :(

Any way, before I got him I watched this animated film from the 80's called Akira, for some reason the antagonist's name Tetsuo (Tet-soo-oh) is stuck in my head!! I thought it would be cute for the trouble making type of bird, but hes so sweet lately I don't think I could give him that name. Not sure what to call him still :<

·
Registered
64 Posts
YES. Vira was a chewer right off the bat. She used to shew everything (clothes, perches, seed husks, human skin). I think she was particularly interested in the squishiness of human hands--much to our dismay!

Eventually, she learned if she chewed the hand, "no bite/biting" and the hand would become an unbalanced perch (quick drop down)! Now she goes after shirts mostly.

Not too long after she was comfortable with my hand itself, actually. I just took the initially scritchie-waggle for her to understand that it meant scritchies! Add in a bunch of peppy toned praises and you have scritchies rewards system!

She's suprisingly not that into scritchies at times. It's a "right moment" type thing for her.. Not a reliable reward in this case, hehe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts