Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Sophie. I'm 28 soon to be 29 and a mother of a beautiful 2 year old daughter here in New Hampshire. About a week ago now I came home with a little male green pacific parrotlet named "Greeny". It was kind of on accident. I was actually killing time at a pet shop down the street while my 2 ferrets were at the vets office next door and came upon Greeny's cage. He was quiet, sitting on a perch and when I came really close and spoke to him he climbed into his hut and just barely peeked his head out. A sign on his cage said he had to go with the hut as he was very attatched to it. He had just been dropped off the day before to the pet store. His owner was a 5 year old child who had gotten him as a present from his parents a year prior. (who in their right mind gets their 4 year old a parrot without assuming it is really YOUR responsibility/YOUR pet?)Anyways after a year of being shoveled off in the corner and ignored they finally decided to bring it back to the pet store. So who knows what kind of torture this poor guy has endured. But long story short I took him home and well, surprisingly he's been AWESOME! He's not a fan of anys hands or fingures near his body but in just a few short days I have him stepping up on to me and I can kiss him and pet him with my nose and have my hand next to him with out him outright attacking it. He rides on me very well and has even enjoyed going out on the town with my daughter and I. In the bouncy truck (where I've now put a boing toy) and all. He loves going places with me. I just can't wait to be able to pet him. I'm a cuddly person and just feel like deep down he is too.
Anyways, I got the fever and immediately got online and researched my fingers off till I found a breeder very close to me who happened to have babies available AND in the blue mutation. Which was exactly what I was hoping for. Went over the other day and picked out the male and am just waiting for him to refuse the formula. He's almost there so it should be with in a week or so now.
I wonder how the boys will get along? THey won't be housed together but they'll be next to each other and then maybe I'll try to put them on a big playgym together too.
So, does anyone have any hints on how to approach the whole getting Greeny to let me pet him? I feel like it's such a delicate matter. Like if I do it wrong it'll just take us 10 steps backwards.:confused:
Also, how about any suggestions on names for the new blue guy?
Thanks all,
Sorry my intro was a million pages long!:)
Sophie

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sophie,

Sounds like you are on the right track! Just take it slow and keep giving him lots of attention (or keep doing whatever you have been doing!). I'm a little concerned about adding another bird, considering Greeny may have issues that you are not yet aware of, you may be opening a can of worms. If you have already committed to getting the blue one, the logical choice for him would be Bluey,;).

I'm sure whatever you do, you will give the birds a good home. Thank you for saving Greeny!

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Sophie I'm glad your decided to join us..Sophie you will have a much better singular pet than having two. The one p'let will bond to you and with two they bond to each other. You will be able to pet them but not like if the little bird is bonded to you. Art was being kind in telling you that you may have issues with Greeny, You probably are and it takes time for him to adjust. You may run into the situation where Greeny is possessive of you and did you know that Parrotlets are very aggressive. Birds lose toes in some cases or beaks when they attack each other,Greeny may feel threatened by another. The little blue will be a young baby and may not be able to defend itself. Do your research first and learn all you can, you can have two but it has to be the perfect match or your gonna have trouble. Welcome I hope I didn't freak you out , It's just my opinion...listen to everyone you can and then make your decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Sophie,

Welcome to the forum!!! I'm a newby myself to the forum, but not to having birds. This is a nice place to ask questions and get answers from people that have been in your shoes.

It is a shame the parents get animals for their children (of any age) and just think it's a play thing for the child and think they can throw it out when the child is bored with it.

It sounds like your little one is hungry for companionship. I have to agree with the other two post. If you want him to bond with you, then you might want to go with one bird for now. Many new bird owners feel like their new addition needs a friend, but the family because the flock for that new addition.

But there is nothing wrong with having two birds and I agree that having them in different cages is the way to go. You might try not letting them out at the same time at first and spending private time with each baby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hmmmm...Maybe what I'll do is not have their cages next to each other but across the room. Then they can at least entertain each other with their noises while I'm gone. ?? I have a cockatiel and a parakeet living together on my first floor and my cockatiel would still rather have his humans over the parakeet any day. Guess it's not the same with the parrotlets.
The blue is a done deal so I can't exactly change my mind on that one.
I do have a girlfriend though, that just loved greeny right away and they seemed to get along the same as Greeny and I did. Hmmmm... Maybe I"ll have to talk to her. If not, I'll just have to give them each their separate time. Or maybe somehow they will like each other enough to hang out on the playgym together but not "Fall in love" with each other. O boy! The trials and tribulations huh?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Your on the right track just always err on the side of extra caution and you'll be fine.. lol I always work on the worst case senario principal. Think of the worst thing that could happen between them and you'll be safe. lol Glad to met you and have you join in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First of all, WELCOME! Glad you have found this place!

Second, and this is VERY important. You need to do a quarentine perioud between the 2 birds. They will need to be in separate rooms for 30 days. When you touch one, you should wash your hands before touching the other. Also, do not let them out together during this time as well.

The reason you do a quarentine period is in case one bird has some sort of disease. You should have both birds checked by an avian vet (this is one that specializes in birds and will know what to look for ). You should have bloodwork done, as well as a gram stain I believe it's called. When the test results come back clean, and it's past the 30 day mark, the birds can be together. The reason you do the quarentine for 30 days is in case they've recently aquired some disease, it may take a while to show itself. So you should watch for any signs of abnormalities. (birds acting funny, poop looking different than normal, etc)

This also gives the birds time to listen to each other, and get to know the other one thru the communicating back and forth. They can hear each other, but not see one another. It helps if you take the process REALLY slow.

I can understand your want for another bird, for a companion for this guy. But it really is not necessary. YOU and your daughter (and anyone else) can be this little guy's "flock". And that is all he needs, is a flock. It sounds like you are doing a great job with him, and it sounds like he is getting plenty of attention. If you keep that up, he will need nothing more in a companion, you and your daughter will fill that spot.

I had a Green cheeked conure that passed away last Sept, that's how we got our parrotlets (rescued them). And he was an only bird for the 2 1/2 yrs we had him. And he would have continued being an only bird if he hadn't passed. We could tell that he was quite happy with us as his flock. ANd wasn't all that interested actually in being with other birds. He more wanted to "take them on". :lol He wasn't very impressed when another animal was taking his time away from his family, and quite often got jealous. It's like having a shy child who just wants to play by themself, and then inviting over 15 other kids cause your sure that that's not really the case. Sure, they like having other kids to play with once in a while. But they dont' like large crowds, and sometimes like being by themselves. Birds just need you. If you are their flock, they don't need another bird. You just gotta make sure that you make time everyday for your feathered family too, just like you would do for your daughter. Your bird will thrive very well on your love and your daughters!

BTW, I have a 2 yr old daughter too (and a 4 1/2 mnth old son) :D Looks like we've got something in common~!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congratulations on your 2 new additions to your family! I agree with what all have said regarding slow introductions between your little birds. An adult parrotlet that has been mistreated can be very loving..Of course his bonding with you could make him see your new little blue as an interloper & rival for your affection. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this is all great advice! Thanks all!
I went to a bird store today where one of the woman who works there claimed she knew how to train birds and fix behavorial problems. She explained to me that I should put Greeny in a wash cloth/towel and let his head poke out so I can pet him and basically make him get over the fear of finger/hands petting him. What do u all think of that? I actually had brought Greeny with me so she demonstrated it as well. I almost thought it was mean but after a minute he calmed down and even looked like he enjoyed his head rubbed. I just don't know if I could do that everyday. She suggested doing that a few times every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts