Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Hello! New Parrotlet owner here :)

7K views 65 replies 13 participants last post by  mawahr 
Hello Leah! Welcome to the group! He's just a baby! We love new little ones! You can upload a pictures using photobucket or if you click on the advanced button you should be able to attach a photo. Good luck and can't wait to see him!

He's a beauty! So is your daughter!

Probably need to make sure he's eating enough especially since he's so young. Its recommended to keep millet in the cage for the first little while. Also something to snuggle with if he's been with siblings, a fleece tent or bed and a cuttlebone too. Also recommend a gram scale to make sure he doesn't loose weight during the transition to a new home.

I've heard about five to ten minutes at a time but its been years since I've had a little one.

My birds had free run of the house when they got older. They followed me everywhere and their most favorite spot was on my shoulder, pooping!

I would love to let him roam free on his own but there are too many dangers with our 2 dogs and my toddler.... I think what my husband meant was right now as a new baby I should not stress him out. So I'm finding a happy medium :)
I would agree with your husband for now. Mine were out when they were older and more mature. A baby bird can get into a whole lot more trouble!

Yes... And I would hate for anything to happen to him on my watch! Do you guys recommend any of the flea/mite bug sprays to help avoid any problems? How common is it for a plet to have a big problem?
Great question!!! I just got over an infestation of red mites. You can see my thread "HELP! I've got bugs!". They don't recommend any sprays to prevent bugs. There usually isn't a problem as they don't go outside and shouldn't have any critters. My problem started with a bag of millet that had been outside and I brought them into my house.

Yes, keeping the outdoor bugs from coming in you shouldn't have any problems. Even when we had the red mites the only thing we could do was get rid of the source. Kiwi had to take medicine once a week for three weeks plus he got a shot of B12. They couldn't spray for them because it could be toxic to my bird.

I used to take peewee outside regularly and never had a problem. They need sunshine so I wouldn't let this stop you. I don't know if I'd leave her outside for long periods of time tho.

Usually just put in a plate or bowl of water and they will try it out. You don't need to do anything but provide the water. I find that Kiwi drinks out of his bath water and bathes in his drinking water. Either way is fine at least he's making the effort.

I find that the Avicakes get hard but Kiwi still likes them but not as much. I put some in a foraging tube and he was interested for a day and then gave up. I guess it was much easier to get me to hold them for him while he ate.

Try feeding them to him with your hand first to get him interested. That's how I got Kiwi to eat them. Another trick is to break it up into smaller pieces. So far I've been able to convert Kiwi from an all seed diet to Nutriberries, Avicakes and some seeds. Still struggling with the fresh stuff.

I got them at our locat Pet Smart store. Those I also had to crumble for the first few weeks until that was his first step in eating every day. Then I could leave them whole in his food dish.

Nice, thanks for the tips! He's not really eating fresh foods yet too...One word I've been hearing a lot on numerous threads is 'patience'. Not one of my strongest traits. Maybe I can learn a life lesson or two through this little furry fellow of mine....
Yes, that's true! Maybe that's the why I got Kiwi! Every parrotlet that I've had has turned out to be for one life event or another. Patience must be lacking in me these days.

Ollie likes straw toys, and toys with fibers & strings. Bells work, too. No mirrors for him ---- he may be too taken with his image and perhaps not as friendly. I don't force him out of his cage, he flies to the budgie's cage and hangs with him. Like I said in my other post, "I'm Old Hat."
He'll come back to you I'm certain! He's just "wandering" to see if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence or in the other cage in this case, lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I don't have one myself so I'm not sure if this is good or not. I think I'd want a platform on the bottom though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.