Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im new. i have two green-rumped parrotlets (both female) kiwi and avocado. they came from a pet store, and nobody wanted them because they bite. they were at the pet store for 3 years...
for the first 4 or 5 months i had them they wouldent let anyone near them, then i bought them a bigger cage (not an old tiny hand-me-down like their old one) and they got a bit nicer. i relised they were taritorial and i had to take them OUT of the cage to tame them. so i tamed them one at a time (mostly) starting with kiwi (a fighter) intill she got a bit nicer, then moving to avocado intill she got a bit nicer, then i tamed them the rest of the way together. the set up on almost everyone now (ive found they like females more) , but they still dont really let anyone pet them, but were working on it.:)

back to me lol, i'm 13 years old, female, and have an obsesion for animals, even tiger sharks and box jellyfish. i am the middle child of two brothers. i hope to own one or two parkeets in the near future.

speaking of parakeets, i have kind of a sad story... at the pet store i got kiwi and avocado, there as another bird, a parakeet. she was kept in the reptile section of the store, in the corner, in basicly harware wire stapeld/nailed to the wall, same with the finches. a man was being a huge jerk and bought all of the 4 males and left the one female. she was petrified, she would fly across the "cage" as fast as her little wings could carry her if you even started to open the "cage door". she cut her self multipule times on the hardware wire and got her leg band caught in it. i might go back and get her (if she is still there)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Welcome! I'm happy to hear that things are going well with Kiwi and Avocado. Do you have any photos of them? (Be sure to not post your face or identifying information on the internet without asking your parents first! Most of us on this forum are adults I think) We love parrotlet photos here.

I got my first bird when I was 12. I remember reading all I could about bird care on the (limited) internet I had in... 2005 (ha!). You seem to be really keen to do your best and learn all you can and that's amazing and you should be proud.

One thing to remember about pet stores is that as much as we want to rescue the birds from hardship, purchasing from pet stores may contribute to the cycle as you are giving them money. If you are concerned about the well being of the pet stores pets, are there any societies in your area or places you can report neglect? That is where I would start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! I'm happy to hear that things are going well with Kiwi and Avocado. Do you have any photos of them? (Be sure to not post your face or identifying information on the internet without asking your parents first! Most of us on this forum are adults I think, but we welcome everyone) We love parrotlet photos here.

I got my first bird when I was 12. I remember reading all I could about bird care on the (limited) internet I had in... 2005 (ha!). You seem to be really keen to do your best and learn all you can and that's amazing and you should be proud.

One thing to remember about pet stores is that as much as we want to rescue the birds from hardship, purchasing from pet stores may contribute to the cycle as you are giving them money. If you are concerned about the well being of the pet stores pets, are there any societies in your area or places you can report neglect? That is where I would start.

thank you! i really just thank my hamster bc after i got her i relised you should always do research before getting a pet :) i know about, like, breeding mills and pet mills, i only get a pet at a pet store if they have an adoption program or there being really mistreted (but i do TRY to report them, but there are not many small pet shelters in my area) or there in a situation like kiwi and avocado were and were probly never ever gonna get bought/adopted because they were scared, aggresive, old, or just diffrent or disabled. i feel that when some one goes and gets a pet, they expect it to be perfect, exactly how they imagen it, then they get mad because its scared, its aggesive, its dissabled, they wanted a albino parrotlet not a pacific, they wanted a sunshine conure not a green cheeked. any way, im of topic, thank you so much :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
thank you! i really just thank my hamster bc after i got her i relised you should always do research before getting a pet :) i know about, like, breeding mills and pet mills, i only get a pet at a pet store if they have an adoption program or there being really mistreted (but i do TRY to report them, but there are not many small pet shelters in my area) or there in a situation like kiwi and avocado were and were probly never ever gonna get bought/adopted because they were scared, aggresive, old, or just diffrent or disabled. i feel that when some one goes and gets a pet, they expect it to be perfect, exactly how they imagen it, then they get mad because its scared, its aggesive, its dissabled, they wanted a albino parrotlet not a pacific, they wanted a sunshine conure not a green cheeked. any way, im of topic, thank you so much :)
That is a good outlook to have. You are and will be a great owner for Kiwi and Avocado if you keep up with being patient and understanding, as you have been. There are lots of threads on here that will be helpful in your journey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good outlook to have. You are and will be a great owner for Kiwi and Avocado if you keep up with being patient and understanding, as you have been. There are lots of threads on here that will be helpful in your journey.
tysm! i blushed and smiled so much reading this 😊😁

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
~~~Hello~~~ And welcome to the forum! You are quite impressive to be so young. You remind me of ....me! When I was a young person. I had a passion for protecting wildlife and the forests. I loved the outdoors and I always brought home hurt and injured animals that I came across. My mother would freak out! To me, you are an observant and caring young lady with a good head on your shoulders. The next time your brothers pick on you, don't let it bother you! You are better than they are!

Now, back to Kiwi and Avocado.... You are on the right track with them. Keep training them like you have been doing! Now, a p'lett will bite at times because they are a true parrot. They are dwarf parrots. They are called pocket parrots. They are also called small hooked-bill parrots. They are also called Bell parrots.they like bells, so hang a 2 inch bell in their cage. Give them things to chew on. It is up to you on what kind of food to feed them. Do not feed them parakeet ( budgie) food. They need fresh veggies and a good seed mix or a good pellet-seed mix for small hooked-bill parrotls. Cockatiel food is a good choice. Change their water every day. etc....etc....

It would be nice to see close up pics of your birds. Since you are young, please do not...ever....post your address or other private info in this forum or on the internet. If you take a picture of your birds, look at the background in the pics and make sure people can't see any addresses or any indication of where you live.( Like an address on the wall, etc).

Keep us posted ! ! ! We care about you and your birds!

David and Vicki
🦜 🦜

·
Registered
314 Posts
Now, back to Kiwi and Avocado.... You are on the right track with them. Keep training them like you have been doing! Now, a p'lett will bite at times because they are a true parrot.
Also, don't forget it is breeding season (spring time) Sometimes parrots molt a bit more in breeding season and get a little hormonal, so don't be upset if you get a grumpy pair of birds! That will pass.

It would be nice to see close up pics of your birds. Since you are young, please do not...ever....post your address or other private info in this forum or on the internet. If you take a picture of your birds, look at the background in the pics and make sure people can't see any addresses or any indication of where you live.( Like an address on the wall, etc).
I second this (as I also mentioned above). Same goes for photos of your face or your family! Always be careful on public forums like this. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts