Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (three days ago) became the adoptive owner of Louie, a 1-year-old American yellow parrotlet. I had two doves already, and on Halloween a friend of mine came up to me (dressed as a swashbuckler) and was like HEY! Want a parrot?

Turns out a coworker of hers moved over here from the east coast and couldn't keep her bird because of new puppies and a finicky landlord, so she was looking for a new home for him.

He's quite the feisty little bugger- not hand-trained yet, but he'll eat out of my hand and today he hopped onto my knee and climbed up my arm...he was enthralled with my pushing buttons on my cell phone, so I took some pictures of him (he seemed to like that a lot!).

Louie's pretty territorial and my attempts at teaching him 'step-up' have been altogether unsuccessful- he backs up or runs/flies away when my finger gets near him...any ideas for teaching him this?

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum :)

Samantha

·
Registered
23 Posts
welcome samantha!

i got emmy when she was a one year old also. so, don't worry, it will take time for louie to get used to you.

tabitha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Toby was a year old when I got him. Very nippy, but a little blood loss was well worth the effort!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! I'm really happy to hear other people have gotten their birds at a year old. Louie loves my boyfriend, and has been witnessed saying "bye-bye" to another male housemate, so I think he just likes guys :rolleyes: He hung upside down from his beard, too...

Louie's really taken to trying to intimidate the doves I have- he likes to sit on top of their cage and peek in!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome Samantha, Hey Louie looks like a little Easter chick in that photo, he's such a wonderful color. Hey if you want to see something cute go look at the Photo the Berrys sent called "bath time" there is little yellow p'let there too. Welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts