Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I've had my parrotlet from about the middle of October. She was 6 weeks when I brought her home and was still eating baby food. Well she's all grown up now(not really) and is more than a handful! I feel bad for her, I'm in finishing up an engineering degree and I sometimes I feel like shes alone longer than she should be.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy some parrotlet screaming issues? I would also like to point out that one of the most dreadful things for her is to be put back in her cage. I find it necessary to at least warn her that its time to go back in so that she doesn't associate commands like step-up with negative thoughts, however I find that to a certain degree this is exactly what is happening despite my warnings. She certainly knows what I'm saying because she will fly away, however this still doesn't instill trust in her behavior, which is very sporadic in its obedience(or lack of even though I wouldn't prefer to refer to her as something that I should command).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Lukas,

First off, welcome aboard!

Does your little girl ever go in her cage on her own?

My thought is, at least for now, try to associate the cage with good things. Don't feed her outside the cage, when you give her millet - put it in the cage. Also the location of the cage may be undesirable to her. Consider putting the cage near a window and have it be about 4 feet off of the floor (not too high otherwise, she will think she's the boss! ;) ).

Remember she's being a pain becuse she wants to be with you.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Great shots by the way - she seems like a great bird!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome glad to have you join us...it sure sounds like seperation aniexity(sp?) can she be by a window ..she probably is still such a baby that she craves attention and they are so intellingent that she is not stimulated enough when your gone. Mine doesn't care for toys, she just uses her bell to call me to come. She is still so little you may have to be patient. Let others post too and let's see what you hear...glad you came aboard this is a great group. Oh by the way we just established that girls don't really talk like males, Art noticed that from all our posts and brought it to our attention.

You don't give her too much millet do you...it's like feeding her candy so you save it for special treat only once in a while.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I really suggest that you get a REALLY big cage and add some great big toys. Shaggy swing, big wooden swing, big atom toy, big rope perches, lots of toys. Chipper loves to be in her cage. We have lots of playgyms for her, but she loves to fly home and go in and PLAY.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Lukas,

I'm a bit late seeing this thread but welcome! Your girl is precious.

I'm going through the same issue of Nemo screaming his head off whenever I leave the room. When I'm in sight, he's fine. I know how much of a pain it is and honestly, I haven't found a solution yet. I make sure he has toys to play with, and rotate them once a week or so to prevent boredom, lots of playtime outside, etc. So I know that I'm doing everything right and he is super healthy.. I end up ignoring his calls back to me when I leave. I'm hoping he'll grow out of this sooner or later.

I find that most people keep their baby birds clipped because they're easier to train and bond to that way. It's your decision whether you want to keep it that way or not. I've experienced both ways with my bird and personally prefer him to be able to fly. If you do clip her wings though, just do 2 or 3 at a time and let her get used to it first before trimming more, if needed :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Be real careful....I wouldn't do it my self but that's me I'm an extreme worrier about them bleeding to death. Bitsey Jo is fully flighted, and I have had her around 8 years. Art and I have mature birds.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Lukas,

We like long posts :) .

My wife used to buy our birds tons of toys. They were either scared of them or ignored them. We've had lots of success with homemade toys using: shredders - woven palm fronds, string and sticks. Homemade pompoms are their favorite.

Regarding cages, Sally's and my cages are 1/2 inch bar spacing models. Sally's is the delux model, mine is the no frills version. The difference is the profile of the cage - mine is just a basic rectangle. I'm pretty sure that all of the different brands are all made in the same Chinese factory and the cheap internet versions start at a little over $200 for Sally's size (mine is a double) with a built in stand. If you poke around this site, you will find links if you want to read up on them.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts