Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where will you spend christmas and who baby sits your birds while your out of town ...if you are? I'm having that to deal with.
My best friend is gonna take her and she's never been away from home and my friend is not a bird person per se. I wonder what todo to make this easier for B.Jo l will be gone four nights/5 days. my plane leaves at 5:00 and returns at 5:00. She's gonna be scared to death while I'm gone.:(

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will be home for Christmas, but I did have to leave town for 5 days this past June when my brother got married. I had my mother-in-law come to my home. She has to many of her own animals to bring them to her, plus I have other animals besides the birds.

She came every day before work & after work. When she came in the afternoons she watched t.v. or a DVD so that they had a little company for a couple of hours. I am sure they missed us & missed being able to come out, but at least I know they were safe & feed/watered.

If your friend is not a bird person, make sure you give her a list of care instructions. Also, non-bird people may not know when a seed dish is mostly shells. They look in and see stuff in the dish and figure it is okay. I pre-measured all food in plastic baggies for mom, so all she had to do was dump the dish & reach in the fridge & pull a new one out every morning.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jo is one of those scarey greenrumps and when my friend puts her hand into the cage she's gonna freak. I just hope she doesn't hurt herself. She will need her water dish washed and your right she needs her seed changed. I t took years to win her over, My girl is gonna be stressed but what can I do? You know when you tell some people that your bird is scarey they think your being dramatic. If my friend doesn't do this then I have no one else everyones leaving for holiday. I also have 4 dogs but they have a dog door and fenced yard and I'm leaving them tons and tons of dog food and buckets of water...they are a pack and have each other. But Jo has to be cared for..Any more advice that would help?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What an excellent idea!!! Bitsey Jo sorta is intrigued by my friends husband, I guess cause Jo is a girl and he pays her attention. We all have dinner every Saturday night and he sits on the sofa by her and has a little conversation and a little shampoo( head scratching). But having said that,it is in her house and her territory. Thanks Kathy I think I may go and have coffee over there and take her too. The weather is not cold here at all now so I guess I don't have to worry about taking her out. I so appreciate them offering to keep her during Christmas but I know you understand about leaving them. I'm naturally a worrier, I'm usually the one pet sitting for my friends. Let me offer this story to ya'll it's kinda funny in a macabre sorta way....Emil , my son, and I were feeding a friends pets for them during holiday one year. They live by a lake and it's so beautiful. Down the slope to the water they had a cage of doves. Emil fed the dogs and I fed the birds in the house and as I was going to the dove cage where Emil was preparing to feed ,I saw all these white feathers and as I approached I told my son why in the world are those doves plucking there feathers out oh my gosh why.?.......I was jumping into my arm chair veterinarian role instantly assessing the feather plucking... My son flabbergasted that I couldn't see........Mommmmmm they are not in there........the racoons! ( carpe diem). White feathers everywhere. That was the worst day in all of our pet sitting history.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts