Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Hello! Bluebirdlost finding a new home to settle in!

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  bluebirdlost 
#1 ·
Hi! I just got a parrotlet yesterday uvu I'm a beginner and am going to learn a lot along the way.
It's a male diluted blue and I named him cloud because of the white specks against his blue coat :p
I would love some advice and suggestions from experienced parrotlet owners!

#2 ·
:):):)Congrats! You will have your hands and fingers full for many years to come. A suggestion is: Make a list of questions about toys, nutrition, behavior modifications, cage size, health products, playtime strategies, etc. and present them in some order so we can offer you suggestions from our experiences.

You can also go to our other forums and bring up info about Health, diet, bonding,and other articles and research.:D

#3 ·
Thank you! I'm very excited to truly bond with him!
Well, I bought him yesterday from a bird breeder who hand feed parrotlets when they're babies and teaches them the step up command, they're also used to human handling on the daily basis.

Cloud's about to turn 3 months old in a few days. When I brought him home it took him about 2 hours for him to start moving around a lot in his cage. I talk to him-gently- regularly and visit him in my bedroom as much as I can. He does the step up command soo well and even chirps in the cage or on my finger(he started doing this today, the 2nd day he's been here) he eats in front of me and flys and climb in his cage a lot too. And today, I allowed the cage door open to see if he would come out, and it surprised when he came out on his own lol he came out 2-3 times with a flight. He lets me touch his beak and rub his head too. However, I do want to take things slow and bond with him correctly and try to lessen any mistakes.

How should I do play time with him?
What area should I put him to allow him free range of play?
If he begins to start getting scared, what can I do to not see me as a threat or afraid of my hand?

#4 ·
:)You are staring to ask the right questions. First, remember that you have plenty of time to learn about Cloud. He is 3 months old and is getting ready to enter his "terrible twos" in a few months. His sweet behavior may temporarily change, but bear with him. Hormonal stress can be hard on him. Each p'let is different. Some fare well in the terrible twos, but my green p'let named Bogie went nuts on us for about 30 days. So, get ready!
He had a good start with being hand raised. Just be gentle, he is still a baby.
You said his cage was in your bedroom? I suggest you put him in an area where there is some action. Maybe in part of your place where he can see you and others.
You must get him some toys to play with(no mirror). He needs to chew. Toys are important for healthy growth. Change your toys around from time to time.
Is his cage big enough? Can he short fly in his cage?
SAFETY! It is important that you make your home safe. The #1 cause of death for p'lets it seems is by accident.Ceiling fans, mirrors, open windows, tops of doors (where they roost and if you close the door, you can crush them). No teflon usage around your birdie,etc.
If you startle him, it is okay. Just don't yell at him or hit him for any reason! Others in this forum will join in, in helping you out. Make a list! Write down the answers and do What some people do---keep a daily log of everything you observe(diary) . My Bogie is seven years old and I have kept a journal everyday. I write as if I am writing a book. I have 2,614 pages of his life written down. I answered Who, What, When, Where, Why and How his day went. You would be amazed when you re-read the journal after a few years! :cool:

#6 ·
Your suggestions are amazing, they will surely help me tons c:
Oh yeah, I'm aware that he may go through the the terrible twos phase but I'm willing to put up with it because it'll all be worth it in the end uvu I am considering putting him out, but I'm a bit worried because I assist with my mom at our home daycare in our house and I don't want the kids spooking him. I do want to get him more toys, although, he hasn't really messed with any in his cage, but I think it's because he's still getting used to his new home.

His cage is big enough for him to do some flying around, is that alright? And I have been working on bird proofing my house as best as possible. Keeping a journal is a great idea to keep update of his progress! I love the thought of it! Thanks!

#5 ·
Dave Miller, you have great suggestions----even better keeping a journal! I'm not that diligent. Bonding time is early morning or an hour or so before bedtime. Nutriberries are a great bonding treat. Ollie loves them in the morning for breakfast with me. I give lots of scritches at that time, too. Ollie loves getting under a large bib towel I wear for him to get scritches at night. Its our nightly routine when I'm home. Foods cut small with Hemp seed added on top is a good way to get Cloud to eat the fresh veggies he needs daily. Best to you, let us know how it goes.

#7 ·
Just remember treat him with the same respect you would expect and patience, patience, patience. A bird trainer I knew told me to always ask if he wants to come out and extend my finger for step up. If he does not want to, then allow him some time and try again. Usually, they want to be with you and the next time will be the charm. But they have boundries just like we have boundries and they have likes and dislikes. The best thing you can do is to respect that and to learn your birds body language to avoid a bad situation where no one wins and puts you a couple of steps back in your relationship. And remember, if there is a slipup, it will take you a lot longer and more patience but you will be able to fix it. He is a lucky little guy to find some one who cares enough to find out more.

#9 ·
Welcome to our online community!

If his wings aren't clipped, I suggest clipping them. This will make him more dependent upon you during early training, and you can let them grow back later. When I'm doing initial training I prefer to take my birds out of their cages, rather then let them come out on their own, teaching them to be with me and helping form a bond. Early on, shorter multiple sessions can be good, at least until you see your bird doing well for longer durations. In the process lots of sweet talk and such goes a long way; remember birds love sound and voices, and that's part of their relating and bonding with you.

Yes, a large cage can be very good, though sometimes a smaller cage during initial training can be helpful...less room for your bird to get away from you when you reach in for training with step-up and such, if that becomes a problem. Otherwise the ideal is a larger cage with room to move around and play.

Good luck!

#13 · (Edited)
His wings were clipped when I bought him so I have a few months till I have to clip them. But yeah, I like that idea, I read an article about allowing them getting to know you when you take them out so they'll know you're not a threat. It was really interesting, especially because it actually works. When I do take him out, he would fly off my finger sometimes and I'll have to pick him up back onto my finger, is that normal? And how long will it take till he truly gets used to my hands and presence?
I do sweet talk him every day multiple times a day, inside the cage and out, and sometimes he chirps back at me. I also saw him grinding his beak. His cage isn't that large but big enough for him to fly a little.

#10 ·
Hi and Welcome! I love the name Cloud! It sounds like you are doing wonderful so far and thinking in the right way. You have some amazing advice.

I think in the daycare situation you may be right about not having him around all the children. It may depend on their age and how many there are, it would be horrible for a child to accidentally (or purposely!) Open the door or feed him something toxic you just never know. If your cage has wheels, you could consider rolling it out into the family room after the munchkins go home or on the weekend and he can hang out. (The tephlon is serious, so don't have him around any non-stick cooking pans or outside of the cage while cooking)

If you have other family members in the house that are interested in handling him, you may want to have them spend a little time each day getting to know him. Anyone who wants to have a bond with Cloud also will need to build their own friendship and trust with him. It's important they understand and treat Cloud kindly and understand that a Parrotlet WILL bite and can not be physically disciplined. My girl can be very social with people, and so I never take her out or allow someone to come in contact with her unless I know they are willing to be bit. I do have friends that will happily be chewed on in exchange for giving her scritches! You can spend the most time with him and form a very strong bond, but other family members could also be "part of the flock" If you family members show no interest that's OK, just know Cloud may be slightly aggressive towards others that show you attention or people he dosent have a relationship with, or even someone he just dosent like.
I think it sounds like your starting a great bond, he seems to really enjoy being handled by you. :) Dont worry when the biting starts, its just part of growing up. It's not your fault and it will pass.

#14 ·
Hi! Awww... thanks darling~uvu I've become quite attached to the name and I hope he will as well. I was saying different names as I was looking between him and the window, and looking at the sky and clouds, I absent-mindly said 'Cloud, realized what I said a few seconds and thought "CLOUD" would be a good name :"3
Well, most of the kids are old enough to know what and not to do but I don't trust them lol I do plan on taking his cage out the room when the daycare is closed (weekends)
If they're interested in bonding with him anyway, but I do tell my family to interact with him and hold him everyday, but it's they're choice if they don't want to or not, he'll just be my bird lol Although Cloud hasn't bit or nipped me yet, I am prepared to get one soon. I'm really the only person that interacts with him more and take him out the cage several times a day, just talking to him and giving him scritches, but he will fly off my finger sometimes then I'll have to pick him back up. Is there a reason why he fly off sometimes? Should I bond with him somewhere where he won't be distracted easily? Also, he do seem a bit wary of my hand sometimes...but I'm aware he's still getting used to me so I understand that ^^

#15 · (Edited)
They do things for all different reasons, I rarely understand what Melody does. Maybe Cloud flys because he's curious, he startled, he just wants to fly
who knows. Lol
I think it sounds like your doing fine. The thing about training them and handling them its kind of a two way street. You train him, he trains you.
the more you get to know each other the better your interaction will be. He will learn what to expect from you and you can anticipate what he might be about to do. Most importantly if you just keep him healthy and safe you really can't "mess him up" or anything. Just do your best!

By the way, am I just getting old? What is uvu?

#19 ·
I kinda figured it's because he's curious of his surroundings or just like to fly; I haven't noticed anything to be startled by. Oh great ^^ I'm happy to hear that, but how does he train me? Can you explain please? I must know all!!!!! lol Oh! 'uvu' means I'm smiling with my eyes closed uvu hmmmm~ basically means I'm happy

#16 ·
Ollie may bite if I wear hanging earrings, new fingernail polish, hats, and paper napkins. I wear minimal jewelry to prevent bites. I hope his biting will stop at some point, but I don't know yet. If I say "gentle beak" when he steps up, he will not bite. He gets overly excited getting out of the cage and will chomp down hard on my finger. Best to you in bonding with your new bird.

#17 ·
it can all be boiled down to never forcing the bird to do something that it doesn't want to do; and that if you want it to do something, make it worth his time :D using motivators like food is a great way to direct them away from dangerous situations, etc. For example, if Cloud finds his way to the floor and doesn't want to step up so that you can move him to safety; instead of scooping him up against his will, lure him onto your hand with millet. Things like that will help ensure that you never receive an honestly aggressive bite.

But you'll definitely get chewed on, there's no way around that haha! Just know that there's a difference between aggressive biting, and curious/playful chewing. You'll learn the difference quickly enough! Chewing a slower, more ambling kind of gesture--akin to what you'd expect from a teething dog (but no less painful if you let him chew your fingers!! My Milly would break skin if I wasn't paying attention). Parrotlets love chewing on toys, and shredding things up--it's an entertaining past time for them. Sometimes, they can mistake your marvelously textured flesh as a very satisfying chew toy. That kind of biting is not aggression or any kind of malicious activity on their part. You'll just need to teach them that chewing other things is far more rewarding than chewing you.

Aggressive biting is lightning fast and frantic; and 100% of the time it means there was some body language/a flash of warning that you missed, causing him to resort to biting in order to get his point across. If you avoid forcing him to do things he doesn't want to do, and instead invite/bribe/convince him to do things by his own choice instead, you can easily avoid the angry bites! :D

It sounds like your Cloud is very happy to have you as his human, and you're doing a wonderful job!!

#21 ·
I know that the breeder that I bought him from doesn't use millet as treats, she used to but doesn't anymore, soo when I try millet on him he don't know what it is lol I would like him to try it and other treats like fruits and veggies. It's just the matter of him eating it and I don't exactly know how to hang the millet in his cage. But when he does find his way to the floor he would get on my hand fairly easily, and today he actually flew towards me on my arm when I was on the floor.

He is ridiculously sweet and gentle, but I am prepared to get bit or chewed on sooner or later ahahahaha :p The toys I've got for him he hasn't played with yet, not really, but I'm going to buy more toys to see what he likes best, including toys he can play with outside the cage. Ooooh man I hope he is, he likes it when I give him scritches, it's only been 3 days since I've bought him too and he's already grinding his beak and chirping at me sometimes.

Also, are you on deviant art because I'm familiar with that birdfolk character lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.