Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All my name is Kal from Los Angeles. (soon to be San Diego).

I just graduated from UCLA and got accepted into the UCSD medical program. I will be moving out into a 2 bedroom condo and will be living by myself. I am really looking forward to having a pet (that is not a cat or dog and is rather affordable to maintain). I have never really raised animals (with the exception of playing with chickens when I was a wee young lad). I have been doing research which started out with parakeets and has led me to the Parrotlet world. I have some questions and was hoping to get some feedback from this awesome parrotlet community.

Do you recommend I get a Parrotlet?

should I buy one or two? (I have read in some places that 2 Parrotlets is not recommended, while some say it is fine).

Are there any Parrotlet shops/breeders near Los Angeles, CA? I have been searching and I cant seem to find any (I found a place in Ontario,CA but they are not replying to my emails)

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If I do get a Parrotlet you can count on me being an active member of this community. Till then I will dream and replay various youtube parrotlet videos in excitement.

thanks

Kal

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have gone from breeding and hand raising parrotlets, to not breeding at all. I have gone from recommending parrotlets in singles with their wings trimmed and now I do not recommend that! I like seeing parrotlets (any bird) in pairs and flighted. I have a BLAST with my parrotlet pairs. As long as you have a good relationship with them and house them in a large enough cage (look for Sally's pics) they will be great. Birds are such strong flock animals and instinctively need companionship around the clock. I have yet to meet a person that can offer their bird this.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was leaning towards a pair as well. Thing is I dont know if I was to go with a same sex combo or with a male/female.

I know I do not have the experience if they were to start breeding, but it would be something I am interested in learning in. I dont think I can bare it in my mind if I were to go ahead and mess up if that situation ever arose...

so many questions, so many decisions =/

·
Registered
835 Posts
A male / female pair is the most natural as they can fulfill all needs, if you catch my drift *L* Although I have had boy parrotlets fulfill those needs for each other!

It is actually not super easy to get them to breed. The species that have been heavily domesticated for many years (budgies, cockatiels, canaries, lovebirds) are hard to prevent from breeding. But those fairly new to captivity are easy to prevent. It takes a nest, excessive daylight hours, over feedind and adequate pairing to get them to breed. So I wouldn't worry about it.

The biggest problems arise when parrotlets don't have enough space and aren't properly trained (don't have a good human/parrot relationship)

I highly recommend the cage like Sally pictures, or similar. It measures 21" x 32" at the base (stands at short person's head level like myself at 5' 3") and also highly recommend acquiring and reading "The bird school. Clicker training for parrots and other birds" by Ann Castro as soon as you can.

A BIG trick with parrotlets, particularly pairs, is to make them think they are in charge. Acheive this by staying a step or so ahead of them. Figure out what you want them to do and figure out how to make them think they chose it.

Eg. You want them to step up. That is almost too bossy for some pairs. Instead have them trained to fly to "come" and ask them to "come" They will come b/c they chose to. If you bump them on the chest for a "step up" a pair might get mad. They really are easy once you figure them out and appreciate them for the bossy buts that they are!! They are a favorite of mine after my severe macaws!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
It used to be hard for me to keep a pair tame. But I was housing them in cages that were too small. I was new to birds and did what I was told! We would have a pair in a 12" x 24" x 12" cage, this does NOT work with parrotlets! Also, I did not know about clicker training at the time. Just knowing how to train them and housing them in a large flight cage makes a pair easy and lots of fun! I would be curious about these websites that claim parrotlets aren't tame when paired - how are they housed and how are they handled (or not?) It is not really fair to make a statement like that w/o providing the details that cause the birds to be this way. I currently have seven pairs of parrotlets, and only one pair is not tame. I have just never worked with that pair; they are nine years old and happy! I know I will eventually, but it has not been priority.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I believed everything I’ve read on Parrotlets also – but they are so new in captivity that a true consensus on them cannot be determined as yet. I have found so many things different about them by actually having them compared to what I’ve read about them.

I too read a pair can not be kept together that they would kill each other and if they didn’t kill each other they would be wild and not want anything to do with their keeper – This didn’t make sense to me as they are birds and flock by nature. So I did more extensive searching.

As Andrea stated if provided with a large enough cage – proper care and feeding and of course socialization by their keeper these birds can indeed be kept in pairs and from my experience are much happier for it.

Its important for people [like me] who do want more than one to know this – It IS possible to keep Parrotlets in pairs. Yes, it takes some work and planning. They can’t just be stuck in a cage together and hope for the best – all their needs must be meet.

My pair has bonded to one another, as they should. They both are human friendly and the female was not tame when I got her – but even with her bonding with my male and being ‘wild’ if you will – she has come to trust me and has accepted me as part of their flock.

Its important to keep in mind Parrotlets are Birds – Birds are flock animals and need constant companionship – they are hard wired for this – we are not birds so we can not meet all the needs of a bird the same way a bird could not possibly meet all of our human needs.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi Nickie - yes, its all a learning experience - I too am learning everyday :)

I read a lot too and there is a lot of good information out there – I try it and see if it works for me if it doesn’t I figure out what does work for me :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your soon to be new P’let – I’m sure you are counting the days until he arrives – and not to worry if they are all girls and you end up with a girl – they are just as sweet and much more quiet::D

·
Registered
835 Posts
I know the info is there on google, I don't doubt you :) Just stating that most of those sites don't elaborate on how they keep their birds, and why it leads to pairs not making good pets. Like I said, I used to keep them as most US sites recommend and they were not tame. These same untame birds in what I consider better keeping conditions are very tame and fun now. Many people are not willing to change. They find that the one way they have kept their birds produces untame birds and then they leave it alone instead of finding another way. It's just important for all of us to be open minded and to consider the options

·
Registered
835 Posts
Okay, I googled and went to a site with LOTS of parrotlet info. They say only keep singles, a pair will bond and not like people just like bigger parrots (I have a pair of macaws and they are great pets) Further reading showed me that a paired parrotlet may kill its mate. Then I see that they house their pairs in 18" x 18" cages!!!! That is WAY too small. Perfect example of why they say pairs aren't nice - they are not being cared for properly!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems that I will be going with a pair after reading this (and of course if my finances allow =P)

Do you guys recommend I get a male/female?

Because I have read some posts about parrotlets getting attached thinking you are their mate, I dont know if I want that to happen to me =P. But then again I dont know if I can handle the breeding process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry for the late reply, I have been so busy with my move down to San Diego. I really havent looked around much for cages by LovelyNicky showed me a good cage

http://www.parrotsparrotsparrots.com/p-cages-pp.htm

what do you guys think?

also the breeder is recommending I get one parrotlet so he/she can get attached to me. I was thinking I might do that and whenever the "urge" arises for my guy or gal I can get him a mate (because by that time I would have "some" experience and will be better able to handle a situation). I still am not sure though, so many people have told me so many things =P.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts