Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.. I am from Arizona and have been doing rescue for a few years so have many different types of birds 15 all together and one dog and cannot forget hubby. :rolleyes:

Now for the question for anyone that breeds parrolets.. I have a young male blue and split to blue female that I have recieved in the last month and a half. The blue male is only 4 months old the female is 2.

How old do they have to be before the male can fertilize the female I did catch them mating this morning and am kinda worried about him being so young.

Carol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Carol & welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question: (Please forgive me if I give you information that you already know.) Once the female starts sitting on eggs & then babies, she rarely leaves the nest. Usually only once a day after egg #3. She depends on the male to give her all of her food. With a young, immature male, you run a huge risk that he will not feed her enough, or at all. If that happens she will be forced to abandon the nest to eat. You would most likely end up with dead-in-egg, or dead chicks (if you didn't remove them in time).
My suggestion would be to remove any nest box you have in the cage untill your male is at least a year old. With out the next box they can & will still mate, but the hen won't lay any eggs.

Hope this helped.
Ms. F

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As of right now they do not have there nest box with only getting him in the last couple of weeks I was not going to put one in for some time. I have different size birds but have never had parrolets so if anyone wants to pass anything along feel free. I have love birds, quakers, suns, grays and a cockatoo just new to the parrolet thing and have been reading as much as I can on them for now things do not seem much different from what I am doing for the rest of my birds but still if there is anything special that they need I would like to know..

Carol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts