Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm new here and new too to the world of owning birds. I recently bought a pacific parrotlet (1 week ago) and yesterday evening when I came back from class he was at the bottom of the cage, feathers fluffed and wings dropped. He was obviously ill, he didn't want to eat or drink, minutes later he died :(. I don't really know what could have happened, when I left him I let him more food. He is just 3 months old and only eats millet, but I've heard that when you get a baby bird is good to feed him the same he ate with his breeder beause they can starve to death if they don't like the new food, he also likes some fruits and he has cuttlebone in the cage. The food is available for him, I've seen him eating very well and if I though he wasn't drinking enough I would put the water bowl near him and he will drink some.
I usually put the cage in front of the window in the morning, he has been sleeping at least 10 hours. I change the water twice a day, but if it's dirty again in no time, I'll do it again. So I'm really confused, he has been normal until yesterday, before I went out he was quitier than usual and very calm, but I didn't thought about something going wrong, just him being a little tired because if I'm there the cage is always open and he will fly from here to there and go in and out of the cage al the time.

Do anyone has a clue about something like this? What could have happened to him? :confused:
(Sorry if my English is not the best btw)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Owny. It's hard and confusing why a seemingly healthy bird passes. I've had 2 that died on me at around the same age.

Did you talk with the breeder who you bought it from? I did when mine died, and she blamed it on me. No satisfaction. Seemed like it was more a hobby with her than a serious business.
I have dealt with a very reputable breeder, now in N. Carolina, who is willing to meet half-way to deliver, or ship. Don't know where you live, but she and her husband are excellent. Don't get discouraged, there are good breeders out there.
Best to you.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
:( I'm sorry you lost your baby, Owny.

I don't know that you were doing anything wrong---it seems you were doing all the right things. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable here can give you some more guidance on what may have gone wrong.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.

Given what you have shared it seems you were doing what needed to be done. In situations like this it can be difficult to say what happened, unless perhaps a person had a necropsy done on their bird. Some birds have hidden health conditions from the outset and do not thrive. I'd talk with the breeder or pet store and see what they have to say, and see if they can help you out with another bird if that's what you want. If you acquire another bird I hope you have better luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. It's so hard not to know "why". It sounds like you were a wonderful Parront. The only thing I can think of is if he was exposed to some kind of fumes or toxins or ate something but it does not sound really likely because you were away so he was secured and nothing going on in the house. I don't think you could have done anything. I think calling the breeder is a good idea. Maybe he was just hatched with an unknown heath problem. I'm so sorry, I'm glad you loved him while he was here I'm sure he had a very happy life with you. Huggs

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sorry this has happened to you, but don't get discouraged Owny . I would go back to the breeder and see if he will work with you about a replacement for your little guy.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
So sorry Owny. These guys are fragile especially when young. It could be a number of reasons. You will never know unless you have a necropsy. It could have been genetic. Everyone is right. It sounded like you did everything right. Don't get discouraged. They are pretty strong if you find a good breeder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have scented candles around my bedroom, can they affect a bird even if I don't lit them? I also use aerosol fresheners in the bathroom sometimes (maybe once since I had the little guy), wich is within the bedroom, maybe that could have been the problem, but that day I didn't use any.

Next time, wich I don't know when will it be, I'll have in consideration everything you've said and wish for the best, I'm still learning everyday. One bad thing is that where I live there aren't any avian vets as far as I know :(

Thank you all for the replies and your kind words :)

·
Super Moderator
6,544 Posts
If the candles we not burning near him and you didn't spray the fresher around him then that was not the problem. I think you really should call the breeder. Keep us updated and I hope your not to discouraged to try again. I'm sure you make a great parront to another baby bird. :eek:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd be concerned about the scented candles. Can you smell them in the room even when they aren't lit? If you can smell them, they're giving off something which could possibly be an irritant for bird lungs.

Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. Any chemical sprays, smoke, fumes, etc, can be fatal.

What about the temperature in the room? It it cold?

Of course, it could be anything. A disease, a parasite, congenital defect (like a heart problem). You just never know.

Sorry for your loss. Poor little thing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Aww that is heartbreaking, sorry for your loss. My guess because he was so young and it was so soon after you brought him home is that he already had an issue.

However, if there is "any" draft by the window that could cause him to become sick quickly. It isn't so much about temperature as it is about a draft? also Teflon is deadly so if you use Teflon pans and at anytime that pan overheated, that can also kill these little birds.

Even if it has nothing to do with the breeder you really should contact them to let them know. A good breeder would want to know in case any other owners experience the same thing, then they know they have an issue. Most won't replace a bird if you have not had it checked out by a vet - however the breeder should know in case it's something that could affect her entire flock.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I would discourage the use of candles and sprays Owny these little guys have pretty fragile respiratory systems especially the young ones .

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I have scented candles around my bedroom, can they affect a bird even if I don't lit them? I also use aerosol fresheners in the bathroom sometimes (maybe once since I had the little guy), wich is within the bedroom, maybe that could have been the problem, but that day I didn't use any.

Next time, wich I don't know when will it be, I'll have in consideration everything you've said and wish for the best, I'm still learning everyday. One bad thing is that where I live there aren't any avian vets as far as I know :(

Thank you all for the replies and your kind words :)
:eek: Sorry for your loss. You need to talk to the person you bought your little guy from, or the breeder.This was not your fault! So many things can be the reason for early death. Sit back and review everything in your living space. Do you have an exterminator spray your home ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts